• Latest reply 4 years ago by homebrood
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190717_200556 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I found this text on my Magnotron schematic.
What does it mean? The schematic looks kind of crude and doesn't have the usual grid.
The machine serial no. Is: 01221

Any ideas?

Thanks, Eric

IMG_20190717_200556 (resized).jpgIMG_20190717_200556 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

The schematic is from the sample run. They were usually hand drawn at that stage until they finalized them and had them stenciled and printed.

Does your serial number have an S adjacent to it? It would be in all positions - top of head, green tag on arch, and below the coin door.

#3 4 years ago

Mike,
No, there is no "S" in the serial number.
I've heard about sample machines. Typically how many would there be, before production?

Are they rare and/or desirable?

Thanks for the info! That's pretty cool!

E

BTW, you have an awesome collection!

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

I've heard about sample machines. Typically how many would there be, before production?

Usually more than 1, less than 100.

Depends on the title regarding desirable. Typically if a game has differences and it's a really popular title, it adds some value. But solid state sample games are much more desirable than EM sample games.

#5 4 years ago

It's all relative. It may make them a little more valuable. But not by much usually.

The biggest contributor to value is condition. A worn sample game isn't worth much because it's worn. A clean non sample game is worth more because it is clean.

BTW, you have an awesome collection!

Thanks. I've been working on it for a while now.

One more thing. It's possible someone prior to you put a sample schematic with your non sample game. My suspicion is that the production games usually followed the sample games function/schematic wise. So you should have no issue following the circuits. It would not surprise me if they changed wire colors from sample to final in some items. But I don't really know.

#6 4 years ago

I've had no trouble using the schematic with my machine, except you have to hunt for things, without the grid!

Thanks for the info!!!!!

E

#7 4 years ago

Well if there is no S it probably isn't a sample game but the schematic is from one but could have been acquired and attached to the game somewhere along the line. It still could be a test game but you could verify that by checking for differences from regular production games. I would bet there are a few that ended up having no differences though so well...never mind! LOL

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bay Shore, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magnotron-test-sample-only and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.