(Topic ID: 150412)

Magnotron project

By Fred-Sanford

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I picked up a Magnotron that hasnt been plugged in around 15 years. Im slowly bringing this back to life.
Replaced many pieces & parts, now somewhat working. However when starting a game it resets starts but 1st ball scores on 1st player reels. 2nd ball jumps to 2nd player score reels, the 3rd ball jumps to 3rd player reels then game over.
Where should I start looking for this issue ? thanx in advance !

#2 8 years ago

If you have the schematics, check to see if you can find the relay that drives the ball count unit. I believe on multiplayer games, the ball count unit is sequential: Player 1: ball 1 -> Player 2: ball 1 -> Player 3: Ball 1 -> Player 4: Ball 1 -> Player 1: Ball 2 -> Player 2: Ball 2..... and so forth all the way to Player 4: Ball 3. In order to advance the ball count unit to ball 2 on a single player game, the score relay will run to pulse a relay that advances the ball count unit four times.

#3 8 years ago

Also make sure the ball count/player unit is properly cleaned and advances properly when triggered.

#4 8 years ago

You've got an issue with the player unit in the backbox. That's the starting point. After each ball, on a single player game, it should step four times. If it's going from player one to player two and ball one to ball two, and is set for a single player game, it's only stepping once while the ball count unit is stepping correctly. I had a similar issue with a Surf Champ, and it was one switch on the player unit.

#5 8 years ago

yes, tighten stacks on player unit. there is a contact that is closed when on player2 that should advance it, likewise on 3 and 4. these circuits get opened up by the coin unit (adding players etc), something else you can check

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Fred-Sanford:

I picked up a Magnotron that hasnt been plugged in around 15 years. Im slowly bringing this back to life.
Replaced many pieces & parts, now somewhat working. However when starting a game it resets starts but 1st ball scores on 1st player reels. 2nd ball jumps to 2nd player score reels, the 3rd ball jumps to 3rd player reels then game over.
Where should I start looking for this issue ? thanx in advance !

I just finished bringing a Duotron back to life thanks to help from several pinsiders. Before I sorted out my power issues I went through all steppers and sanded with 600 grit, cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and then Super Lube. Maybe that solved some issues I would otherwise have had. Either way the games are similar so let me know if you need pics. Pinball Ninja and pinrepair.com were also helpful. Good Luck!

#7 8 years ago

Thanx for the input. It seems the player unit in the head is stepping up 5x after the ball drains. The bonus unit is`nt working properly either...

#8 8 years ago

hope this inspires you..this was my minty magnatron from a few years back..loved the backglass art and had 2 of the best shots for special on any pinball machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bay Shore, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magnotron-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.