0Magnotron-pinside-pbm3-C-Work (resized).jpg
0Magnotron-pinside-pbm3-B-Work (resized).jpg
20170925_145907 (resized).jpg
20170925_145856 (resized).jpg
20170925_145637 (resized).jpg
20170925_145648 (resized).jpg
0Magnotron-pinside-pbm3-A (resized).jpg
20170924_181600 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider D-Gottlieb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 6 years ago

If the pin was completely dead when you got, how long was it sitting? I have found that simply cleaning every contact, adjusting all relays and the stepper and score reels, and ensuring that they are not sticking will fix most machines. Check out Clay's guide
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

#39 6 years ago

Just to jump in here, but have you done an overall assessment of the condition of the relay contacts and wires yet? If the wire bundles are not disturbed or look like they are original, the thing to do is to visually examine, adjust and clean the contacts throughout the machine. I work on a lot of EMs and following this method has fixed most of the problems I have run into. If I have a problem with a scoring issue or reset, I reference the schematic but that doesn't happen very often as the problem is usually a relay that needs adjustment, a wire that is frayed, a sticky stepper unit etc. You should not have to wire up a doorbell switch.

1 week later
#55 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballman3:

I found the bank reset fault. It was on the motor switch. I looked at it before. I was going to unsolder wires there and happen to notice it looked like 2 of the switch tabs where touching. I bent it out and no more fault. Thanks for the help. Now on to the reels. I will report back when i get going on them.

All that messing with the schematic for nothing, except you learned a lot. Visually examining the tabs and relays will usually fix things. With regards to the reels, your player unit will probably provide the answer. Hopefully it wasn't tampered with too much in diagnosing the other issue.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballman3:

D-Gottlieb, yeah but messing with the schematic showed me what switch on the motor might be the problem. After seeing that opening the Z1 relay switch did not open the cicuit it made me realize it had to be at the motor or before so i went back and looked at the motor switch again. The thing is I had the bottom board out on the work bench looking and cleaning switches. I think it was good when i looked at it outside of game and it got bent putting it back in. Motor was unhooked from brkt. That created the fault. Actually I think that is what caused this fault. That switch tab got bent while I had it out or putting it back in. I want to learn how it all works. Why would the player unit been tampered with at all trying to diagnose the other issue. There is only one switch on the player unit that has anything to do with that circuit. It is either open or closed. I understand your point but I was in no hurry and I like to learn because the next time I might have to read the schematics or have a better understanding of how they work. Would you think looking at tabs and relays could fix my reel problem?

I know that all the score reels go through the stepper and based on your symptoms the first place I would look is for proper stepper configuration. If the adjacent switches are shorted, the reels would do what you say.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bay Shore, NY
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 7.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
Various novelties
Various Other Swag
UpKick Pinball
Various other swag
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider D-Gottlieb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magnotron-not-resetting-fully?tu=D-Gottlieb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.