• Latest reply 5 years ago by Fezmid
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fry.PNG
#1 10 years ago

Hey all, my MET LE has not had any issues to date, until now. The 3 magnets are not energizing in the Coffin lane, Hammer, and Sparky. The first indication was with Justice multiball. The magnet grabbed the ball and it did not wobble AT ALL, which is very different from what it usually does. It sat there for a minute, never went below the playfield and then just released it. Now when I hit the newton block for the hammer, it simply says something like 12 out of 100 for extra ball(In other words its counting up from 1 to 100) Coffin nor Sparky grab either. I assume they are all tied together with one fuse or something, any idea where this might be?? I am a noob so Im not going to go poking around until I have a good answer. Anything else I should be looking for??

Thanks in advance..

#2 10 years ago

One thing I have noticed is that I pulled the back glass off, and F7 is NOT lit.

#3 10 years ago

Ok, so there is a tag showing that F7 is indeed for the magnets and a buddy with experience says the fuse is shot, which leads to a bigger question, what is causing it to blow? I havent been under the playfield recently, havent done any work on it at all, other than play it.

Im going to buy another fuse and see what happens

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

The first indication was with Justice multiball. The magnet grabbed the ball and it did not wobble AT ALL, which is very different from what it usually does

I'm assuming you mean Coffin Multiball? It's possible something has shorted (either under PF or on a board somewhere) to lock the coil on.

Quoted from Roostking:

Im going to buy another fuse and see what happens

I would disable all three magnets under the pf and test them out one by one or else you might just burn out fuses without being able to troubleshoot anything if something is latching on. If you're sure its the coffin magnet, disable the power to it and play on and see if the other magnets work well.

#5 10 years ago

My first indication was the Justice hammer magnet grabbed the ball as it should have, but it held the ball still, NO WOBBLE at all, then just let it go. I assume that is when the fuse blew. Mine always wobbled before that, Then as I played on, I noticed no magnets were working.

I am no electrical engineer by any stretch, but if the magnet was drawing more power than normal(IE no wobble on the ball) would maybe a transistor be out??

Since I am a noob, im going to replace the fuse and go from there, if it happens again, Ill contact stern, as I dont want to void my warranty by disconnecting stuff.

Thanks for your help!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I am no electrical engineer by any stretch, but if the magnet was drawing more power than normal(IE no wobble on the ball) would maybe a transistor be out??

Possible. It could be shorted to ground through a number of sources. I'm not familiar with how often Stern boards have issues like this or how the circuits for the magnet(s) work exactly so to simplify it to 'Transistor' is a bit premature, but possibly valid.

There's a magnet control board under the PF as well that may or may not control how that magnet grabs and could also be suspect.

Since I am a noob, im going to replace the fuse and go from there, if it happens again, Ill contact stern, as I dont want to void my warranty by disconnecting stuff.
Thanks for your help!

In my opinion you are risking more by just plugging a fuse in and turning it on again. If you are worried at all, call Stern BEFORE doing that. Fuses are nice circuit protection, but they need overcurrent for a time duration, and they are not a guaranteed failsafe for damage.

Disconnecting the magnet is one plug under the PF if I'm not mistaken and it shouldn't void anything by plugging and unplugging it. People were having coffin magnets overheat bad awhile back and it's as simple as unplugging it from power. If you DON'T unplug it, putting a fuse in and having the problem repeat again puts the magnet at risk again.

Bottom line: I would call Stern before doing ANYTHING, or I would disconnect stuff and try troubleshooting (as I believe this is what Stern will get you to do anyway but may be better directed by them in your case).

#7 10 years ago

Ok that is great advice. Calling Stern or a licensed distributor before I do anything else. Thanks for mentioning that..

#8 10 years ago

Update.

I called my distributor and they said to go ahead and get a fuse and replace it. I played a couple of times with the glass and backboard off no problems. I also ran through the multiballs, using a ball and activating all magnets and no problems. This morning I ran through the coil/magnet tests and they all worked fine. going to keep the back glass off for awhile and watch the F7 fuse. Hopefully it was just one of those things since it sat turned off for a bit over a week.

#9 10 years ago

Good to hear. It could be one of those ghosts in the machine. Maybe code related?

I do think its good you called. For me personally I'd have gone ahead with tinkering and replacing fuses but at a consumer level it's best if you call to ensure your warranty and servicing are aligning.

#10 10 years ago

From here on out, I will, since it appears electronics are only covered for 60 days. Thanks again for you suggestions..

#11 10 years ago

Feel free to talk to stern after the 60 days as well. They have a very good track record of customer service post-warranty

#12 10 years ago

fry.PNGfry.PNG

Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:Feel free to talk to stern after the 60 days as well. They have a very good track record of customer service post-warranty

Not sure if a Futurama meme should go here or not..

#13 10 years ago

Funny I just saw this post this morning...

Last week, I turned Metallica on to play some games, and I noticed during what should have been a MB the magnet never grabbed the ball. I pulled the glass and activated the other MB, and no magnets were working. Pulled the translight and the fuse (F7) was blown. Changed the fuse and all was good played alot of games on it since then. Last night was playing a game, started Electric chair MB as normal, then during MB the coffin magnet grabbed the ball and held it, and it said ball is locked. It never hammered or dropped, but just held the ball then released it. I continued to play, and got cross MB, I got the MB but the magnet never grabbed the ball and held it. The fuse had blown again. I don't know what is causing it to blow but it seems odd that it has suddenly started this, and also to know that someone elses game is doing it as well?

Phoebe

#14 10 years ago

Keep us posted in what you find, just in case others go through the same problems, it will come i handy

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Not sure if a Futurama meme should go here or not..

fry.PNG 188 KB

I'm serious. Call Pat at stern if you have problems. You'll be pleased.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

Last week, I turned Metallica on to play some games, and I noticed during what should have been a MB the magnet never grabbed the ball. I pulled the glass and activated the other MB, and no magnets were working. Pulled the translight and the fuse (F7) was blown. Changed the fuse and all was good played alot of games on it since then. Last night was playing a game, started Electric chair MB as normal, then during MB the coffin magnet grabbed the ball and held it, and it said ball is locked. It never hammered or dropped, but just held the ball then released it. I continued to play, and got cross MB, I got the MB but the magnet never grabbed the ball and held it. The fuse had blown again. I don't know what is causing it to blow but it seems odd that it has suddenly started this, and also to know that someone elses game is doing it as well?
Phoebe

Well not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the feed back.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I'm serious. Call Pat at stern if you have problems. You'll be pleased.

Ok thanks man. I will and Ii will tell them others are starting to have the same issue..

#18 10 years ago

I have an issue with my Opto board by the cross in the grave yard drop targets. Doesn't activate. If I switch the ribbon cables of the cross optos with the electric chair optos on the board the cross works. I am thinking its the board. Called Stern, they got right back to me. They are sending me a new opto board and optos. Stinks that a brand new game fails but I can't really ask anymore from Stern's customer service. With the three or four other issues I have had with the game the customer service has been great also. Wish I could say the same thing about programming the new code. lol

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

Phoebe

Do you have an LE? Calling stern in the morning and want to relay to them what machines have had the same problems. You can PM it to me if you want.

3 months later
#20 10 years ago

My game is now continually blowing F7 fuse on METLE. Did anyone ever figure out why this seems to be a problem? I didn't have any issues with it until the recent big code update.

3 weeks later
#21 9 years ago

Since my initial problem, I have not had any since. I never did figure out what the problem was, sorry but keep us updated.

#22 9 years ago

Actually I hadn't had time to try a new fuse again until today, and alas, it just keeps blowing the fuse when turned on. Time to try and troubleshoot by unplugging shit. Ugh. Has anyone else figured out what is happening with this? It doesn't seem to be isolated to just my game.

3 months later
#23 9 years ago
Quoted from PinManV:

Actually I hadn't had time to try a new fuse again until today, and alas, it just keeps blowing the fuse when turned on. Time to try and troubleshoot by unplugging shit. Ugh. Has anyone else figured out what is happening with this? It doesn't seem to be isolated to just my game.

Did you ever figure out the problem? I am having this exact problem.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from PinDescabarian:

Did you ever figure out the problem? I am having this exact problem.

No, fortunately mine did it only the one time and I havent had a problem since. How many times have yours?

#25 9 years ago

It happens right away. I tried it twice. Plus the original. Did a visual inspection of the machine. Not seeing anything obvious.

Hopefully someone can chime in on how to trouble shoot.

#26 9 years ago

Have you contacted stern yet?

#27 9 years ago

I had this problem as well.
Don't keep replacing fuses until you check the magnet opto board.
Lift the play field and check the magnet opto board by the coffin lock. The large white resistor(I think its a resistor) has been known to snap off at the PCB which causes the coffin magnet to blow F7. If I can Find the broken one I can post a picture of what to look for. If you are handy with a soldering iron you can fix it yourself, or hope that Stern will send you a new one. (Mine was two months out of warranty, but they sent me a new magnet and a new board anyway. Thanks Stern!)
Good luck

#28 9 years ago

Cool. I am going to check that board and go from there. I am going to call Stern today.

Thanks for your reply
Danny

#29 9 years ago

Please let us know what you find out.

Thanks for the information Buffaloatx.

#30 9 years ago

Pat from Stern had me check by taking a ball and hold next to a magnet. Turn on and off quickly so not to blow the fuse. The coffin magnet held the ball. Long story short, as Buffaloatx had stated, Pat is sending a new magnet board. "Bad resister"

Thanks to Stern for sending new board without routing me through my distributer and even though my warranty is expired.

#31 9 years ago

Hope you didn't burn your magnet up like I did, because replacing that thing is a real Mother F....
Seriously, I will buy a whole new assembly before I ever attempt that again.
Good luck with the boards guys, Flip ON....

1 month later
#32 9 years ago

Mine all 3 magnets just stopped working just tonight. Coffin magnet held the ball for a long time without the hammer coming down. Then noticed NO magnets were activating as I was playing. What do, check first? Thanks

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

What do, check first? Thanks

1. Read *ALL* the posts in this thread you just bumped.

2. Remove fuse F7 and test it with a meter.

#34 9 years ago

Fuse 7 blew once. Replaced it, and no problems since.

3 years later
#35 6 years ago

Update, Ive actually had this problem 5 times now. I didnt pay attention to the fix, since I only had it once by then. I have more time under the hood, so time to figure this out.

10 months later
#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Update, Ive actually had this problem 5 times now. I didnt pay attention to the fix, since I only had it once by then. I have more time under the hood, so time to figure this out.

My first blown F7 this morning. My PREM was manufactured Aug 22, 2018. Everything looks fine on my MAG board visually..

Any update on what you found out ?

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from drained:

My first blown F7 this morning. My PREM was manufactured Aug 22, 2018. Everything looks fine on my MAG board visually..

No I do not. It happens so rarely that I'm not sure where to start.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from drained:

Happened to me once too. I replaced the fuse, everything worked except the magnet board. I contacted Stern, they sent me a new magnet board. Hasn't happened since...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 29.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.50
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magnets-not-working-on-met-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.