55%
  • Family Guy 59 votes
    45%

(132 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

death-family-guy.jpg
tits.gif
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't want to play a game where avoiding the gigantic main toy right by the flippers is what is required for fun. I'm perfectly capable of it - but I just resented that toy for existing without having good rules associated with it. It's too newbie even for newbies. When my newb friends played X-Men, it wasn't X-Men - it was "Weapon X Multiball: THE GAME" ...they got bored quick.

Sorry if this comes off a$$ish...but, did you not sell before said code update? Did you get a chance to adjust the settings as I mentioned above? XMEN is the opposite of a newbie game, I think your holding onto the past a bit code wise. I sold the game because of Weapon X. I am not disagreeing with your early assessment of Weapon X, however things can and have changed....Its been back in my lineup long enough with the new code/settings for me to have an honest evaluation. Weapon X, is no longer an issue.

As far as Gigantic main toy is concerned, I consider it a molded standup target, not a toy....

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Sorry if this comes off a$$ish...but, did you not sell before said code update? Did you get a chance to adjust the settings as I mentioned above? XMEN is the opposite of a newbie game, I think your holding onto the past a bit code wise. I sold the game because of Weapon X. I am not disagreeing with your early assessment of Weapon X, however things can and have changed....Its been back in my lineup long enough with the new code/settings for me to have an honest evaluation. Weapon X, is no longer an issue.
As far as Gigantic main toy is concerned, I consider it a molded standup target, not a toy....

The only update I missed was the Deadpool one. I didn't say the game is for newbies...but when newbies play it, they just keep hitting Wolverine without even trying, and keep starting Weapon X. I know you can change the settings...but still...you're just bashing till Multiball...there's no "BAM, I earned that Multiball!" moment w/ Wolverine. Let's look at Avengers...similar "torso up" character Bash toy with Hulk....bash bash bash...but then to start his Multiball, you have to hit the Black Widow ramp (or luck into Hulk's saucer)...so you get that satisfying "Yeah I hit that ramp and EARNED that MB start"

I may seem super negative...but I think it's an OK game. Just for me- Wolv & his implementation is dealbreaker #1 & some of the bad voices are dealbreaker #2. I love Borg, but I think X-Men is a lot of ideas cobbled and stuffed together & the code, while containing a lot of content, never really gels. When I had it, I just kept comparing all of it's various features to other games. Magneto lock...better on Avatar. Fast flowy play...I've got Tron, AC/DC and others. Bash toy...I'd rather play any other game with a bash toy. That was dealbreaker #3...everything in X-Men is done better in other games. Depth? I have TSPP & LOTR....dealbreaker #4 - if you can't match TSPP & LOTR's depth, it's over.

If we're comparing it to FGY (which we are lol) ....Lawlor's layout is superb, unique, and fun...Keith's rules are fantastic & nuanced....and the audio package features all the real voice actors + Seth's custom callouts. It trumps X-Men on every level.

#53 9 years ago

The other "toy" to avoid in XMEN is the Magneto Center lock. As you know, the idea is to avoid it until you have as many heros completed as possible. At any rate Rare, we all get it, you don't like XMEN, and my Buddy Panzer loves WOZ. Oh......and I have a WOZ over TSPP, and own a LOTR....just because.

Back to the ops question....I prefer XMENLE, but its kind of a weird comparison. XMENLE and Family guy, could not be more different.

#54 9 years ago

I really enjoy the unique layout of FG and the mini pinball iniside a pinball and most callouts are well themed and funny.

To me XMLE wins on all other aspects. Game play is just way better IMHO.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Because it makes me laugh = funny.

Wow that's brilliant.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Wow that's brilliant.

Brilliant answers to brilliant questions.

#57 9 years ago

If you guys keep calling XM a good game I'm going to ask a mod to close this thread

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Wow that's brilliant.

From your Monster Bash posts you've made it clear you don't like humor and jokes. How about you tell us what you find funny, if anything.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

If you guys keep calling XM a good game I'm going to ask a mod to close this thread

You know, a year or two ago I would have agreed with you. I played an LE with older software and while it was ok, it wasn't fantastic. Didn't like the moving ramp or the spinning disc, nightcrawlers were ok but it wasn't really apparent why they showed up.

Fast forward to now, I bought a pro a couple weeks ago (didn't want an LE due to reasons above). It's actually pretty awesome. In fact, I can kind of see this whole thing from all sides. There's:

a) the person that bought it at launch, dumped after 6 months due to the software issues
b) the person that bought it at launch but managed to stick with it, but is left with such a sour taste that it's hard to enjoy it, even it was to turn into the greatest game ever
c) the person that bought it after all the updates

I can totally see why a) or b) dislike the game, if I had been through that whole ordeal I probably would to. I was almost in the preorder camp for the pro, I was getting ready to do it when the bad software reports poured in. If I would have purchased it, I undoubtedly would have become person a) and would probably still badmouth the game.

As it stands though, I bought it as c), so I don't have all the baggage that a lot of people have, and can kind of take the game as it is today. First off, the dots are great, probably better than any other game I can think of. Juggernaut is especially cool. Modes on the game are A+, some of the best I've ever played on a game. Character modes for the x-men are ok, not fantastic by any means but ok. Professor X though is one of the coolest modes in any game I've ever played. Two wizard modes? AWESOME. Music is pretty good overall except for a couple places. Voiceovers, well, they're not good. However, some of them are so bad they're hilarious. Storm is particularly funny to me with her 'royal' attitude, lol.

Unique combo's is a super cool feature, I like the fact that I get new ones every once in a while. The center magnet is pretty wicked with the ball sometimes as well. To sum up:

pro's:

great modes for villains
ok modes for heroes
multiballs are only ok, need jackpot calls
artwork on the cab basically blows all my other games away
great ruleset with combos and stacking
great shots to shoot, feels rewarding to hit some of those tight ones like professor X

con's:

weapon X rules need adjusting a little
magneto multiball is fun but he honestly needs a light at the bottom for when you beat him. You have to 'beat' every other character in the game to make to the wizard modes except Magneto, the one guy you would think you would have to beat to make it there, lol
poor voiceovers for some characters

What I would like to see:

finished wizard mode for beating the first two wizards (I think it's in place but unfinished)
voiceovers fixed through that one program
somehow incorporate elements from the x-men arcade game into the pinball machine as a tribute (like the match sequence with Colossus...how awesome would it have been if it would have been two of those robots fighting Colossus and he does his power move from the video game to expose the numbers)
blackbird awarding extra time for hero modes as well
multiballs reworked with better audio for jackpots

As it is though, I still really like the game. I bought it with the pure intention of playing and then rotating it out in my usual 4 month manner for my rotator spot. However, I'm having so much fun with it that I can't see any way that I'd do that. People are going to figure out eventually that X-Men, specifically the pro edition, is a great game...it's the only one that Stern put out where I'd favor (by quite a bit) the pro model. Only 79 pinsiders own the pro vs 200+ who own the LE's, and at $4k and under for a pro it's a steal.

#60 9 years ago

^^^ so if I'm hearing you correctly XM sucks right?

JK with ya man. I don't really hate XM it's just fun to boast about FGY

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

From your Monster Bash posts you've made it clear you don't like humor and jokes. How about you tell us what you find funny, if anything.

I like Raymond, King of Queens, All in the Family, Louis CK, Lewis Black, Doug Stanhope, Don Rickles, Comedies from the 80's mostly, some funny stuff from today but after Caddyshack well all the Rodney Dangerfield films and Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd and the like not too much after 2000 that really can compare. Will Ferrel is funny, I liked This is 40 that was a good film, just discovered how great Norm Macdonald is, really like Bill Murray and really love SCTV all those guy's. Phil Hartman and News Radio what a great show. I could go on as I do like comedy and I am a funny person, the question is almost scientific, why can't I find the humour in The Family Guy? It's weird how that works, I have buddies who watch the Venture Bros and find a lot of films and shows funny that I just don't get at all, they in turn and most people my age are not into All in the Family or older comics, I love to watch the Dean Martin Roasts but hate the new ones. Anyway no offense intended, if you like it then I'm happy for you. When it comes to pinball I would rather an intense experience than jokes mostly due to repetitiveness.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

just discovered how great Norm Macdonald is

he's a character on Family Guy...
death-family-guy.jpgdeath-family-guy.jpg

#63 9 years ago

Norm MacDonald owns a Family Guy pinball machine. he said on the Leno show that he was selling everything in his house except his pinball machine.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

Norm MacDonald owns a Family Guy pinball machine. he said on the Leno show that he was selling everything in his house except his pinball machine.

Well, he was only Death once. After that, he was played by Adam Carolla .

Quoted from Hazoff:

I like Raymond, King of Queens, All in the Family, Louis CK, Lewis Black, Doug Stanhope, Don Rickles, Comedies from the 80's mostly, some funny stuff from today but after Caddyshack well all the Rodney Dangerfield films and Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd and the like not too much after 2000 that really can compare. Will Ferrel is funny, I liked This is 40 that was a good film, just discovered how great Norm Macdonald is, really like Bill Murray and really love SCTV all those guy's. Phil Hartman and News Radio what a great show. I could go on as I do like comedy and I am a funny person, the question is almost scientific, why can't I find the humour in The Family Guy? It's weird how that works, I have buddies who watch the Venture Bros and find a lot of films and shows funny that I just don't get at all, they in turn and most people my age are not into All in the Family or older comics, I love to watch the Dean Martin Roasts but hate the new ones. Anyway no offense intended, if you like it then I'm happy for you. When it comes to pinball I would rather an intense experience than jokes mostly due to repetitiveness.

Fair enough...maybe you just don't like animation and/or satire?

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Fair enough...maybe you just don't like animation and/or satire?

How do you know so much about Family Guy? Are you an animator on the show? Post your best Stewie

#66 9 years ago

Family guy is a good show but if it spent more time and resources attempting to be really funny rather than a lot of the easy crass gross out humor it likes to bombard us with, then it could call itself a truly great show.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Family Guy is a good show but if it spent more time and resources attempting to be really funny rather than a lot of the easy crass gross out humor it likes to bombard us with, then it could call itself a truly great show.

I don't know if Family Guy as a show is good or not. I tried it a few times and the "crass gross out humor" did nothing for me. There are some snippets of that type of humor I heard while playing the game so I will pretty much only play the game if I have to for a tourney. I do like the layout and rules well enough, but the mini-playfield gets boring to me quickly. Shrek I'll be glad to play, but still not a fan of the mini-playfield.

Magneto for me.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

thanks man. I always thought he was on more than once. Do you know why Carolla took over the job?

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

thanks man. I always thought he was on more than once. Do you know why Carolla took over the job?

I don't think he ever expected it to be a reoccurring character....*shrug*, guess he didn't wanna keep doing it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magneto-vs-family-guy/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.