Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by V_piscopo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

So I have a Williams high speed. just replaced an eos flipper switch I noticed had broken off. No idea how long it had been broken but when I noticed it and checked it the coil was super hot. Now when I move the flipper up it stays magnetized even when game is off. Anyway to fix this without buying a new plunger coil and coil stop?

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

So I have a Williams high speed. just replaced an eos flipper switch I noticed had broken off. No idea how long it had been broken but when I noticed it and checked it the coil was super hot. Now when I move the flipper up it stays magnetized even when game is off. Anyway to fix this without buying a new plunger coil and coil stop?

Is it magnetized or just binding?

If the coil overheated it is likely deformed and needs to be replaced along with the coil liner. With the game off, if you move the flipper up and down does it move freely? Compare to the other flipper.

#3 8 years ago

If you have a soldering gun, hold the trigger and swirl the coil stop around the side of the plastic body of the gun, pull it away and then let go of the trigger. You can also use a soldering gun the same way to degaus a monitor.

#4 8 years ago

It's def magnetized, I took it apart and pulled the sleeve out while changing the eos. Even with power off and game unplugged when I move the flipper bat up it holds it magnetically.

#5 8 years ago

High heat also demagetizes items.

#6 8 years ago

I will try my soldering gun on coil stop backing with plunger plunged.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Starwriter:

If you have a soldering gun, hold the trigger and swirl the coil stop around the side of the plastic body of the gun, pull it away and then let go of the trigger. You can also use a soldering gun the same way to degaus a monitor.

+1 on this tip. The hotter, the better.

#8 8 years ago

Got my soldering gun to 480 (the highest it goes) swirled the coil stop (back side) pulled away my iron and pulled out the plunger (game off) no progress. I will try again in a bit or did I do this wrong?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

I will try again in a bit or did I do this wrong?

So, in order to demagnetize metal properly, you have to reach its "curie" temperature. The curie point for most types of steel is ~770˚C or 1390˚F. If you can't get your soldering iron hot enough, you'll need to break out a blowtorch. Just make sure you take the coil stop out of the game before proceeding to that point!!

#10 8 years ago

Iron's curie temperature is ~1400˚F. I'm not sure what kind of metal they use in coil stops, but it's got to be either steel or iron.

#11 8 years ago

You're not supposed to be heating the coil stop with the soldering gun. Remove the coil stop and swirl it around the side of the plastic body of the gun. You're exposing it to a coil of wire with AC current running through it, just like a reel to reel tape eraser.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Starwriter:

You're not supposed to be heating the coil stop with the soldering gun.

Ah! That totally makes sense as well. Probably a lot safer, too. (OP, if that doesn't work, you can still blast the coil stop with heat to demagnetize it)

#13 8 years ago

Ah that makes sence I'll give it a go

#14 8 years ago

I'm an idiot. It wasn't magnitized, it just felt that way. The metal arm with rubber around it that pushes the eos switch was pushing to far and getting caught on the end of the eos switch holding it in place. Now when I went to put it all back together it's so tight I can barely push the plunger. I'll have some time to figure it out in a bit. Any advice?

#15 8 years ago

You probably did not gap the linkage from the flipper bushing causing it to bind

#16 8 years ago

Prob. I'll rip it apart tonight

#17 8 years ago

Yeh, the pawl is too close to the plastic bushing.

#18 8 years ago

Use a credit card between the flipper and the bushing so it does not bind.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers#post-284682

#19 8 years ago

That was totally the problem. Sometimes I forget how simple a problem can be, and how dumb sometimes I can be. Working great now. Thanks guys!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magnetized-coil-stop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.