Magnet problem...

By tamoore

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a magnet that is blowing up TIP 36C transistors.

The magnet will work for a while with a fresh transistor and fuse in, but after a short while, it'll take out the transistor.

Any ideas on where to start with this? Thanks in advance!

-Todd

#2 9 years ago

These transistors also don't fail shorted on. They check fine (similar to those around them) but just don't work..

#3 9 years ago

What's the resistance of the magnet?

How does that compare to the resistance of a similar magnet? (or what game are we talking about here?)

#4 9 years ago

All magnets in the game test the same. It's the ringmaster magnet on CV.

#5 9 years ago

Any ideas? Thanks!

#6 9 years ago

had a similar problem once before and ended up being a bad magnet core. It was internally shorted. Maybe you have a similar problem.

I know that is not much help for trouble shooting.

#7 9 years ago

Yep, the magnet would be my first suspect as well.

#8 9 years ago

Try a different magnet in it's place and see what happens.

#9 9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I swapped out the magnet for a working one, and it instantly blew the fuse as soon as the magnet activated. I'm also getting a blown fuse for secondary flasher, which also powers the motor for the ringmaster.

#10 9 years ago

Could it be the wiring harness leading to the ringmaster? Maybe inspect that one.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from FreeBee:

Could it be the wiring harness leading to the ringmaster? Maybe inspect that one.

This is looking like a reasonable culprit, as the magnet and flasher fuse both were blowing. since I've disconnected the ring master harness, neither have blown.

#12 9 years ago

Ringmaster harness is a rite of passage! Pull it out of there, splice the frayed or worn wires, run it through some fresh heat shrink tubing.

#13 9 years ago

My ringmaster harness had several wires broken clean in two when I got it. Apparently a weak spot in the design, similar to the harness for the Balrog on LOTR.

#14 9 years ago

Checked the harness out with a meter. There was no continuity except across pins that should have continuity. This was tested in the Ringmaster down position, which is where it is when the fuse blows.

#15 9 years ago

I would check it up, down and in between. The wires fray before they break.

#16 9 years ago

It seems to have been the harness. I ripped the old one out, made up a 'quicky' one, and tested it out of the ringmaster. Worked great. I'll do up a real one tomorrow and install it.

Thanks for the help!

4 months later
#17 9 years ago

Bump

My ringmaster recognizes to turn on magnet in magnet test but does not actuate.

off hand does anyone know the proper magnet resistance

I have 1.5 ohms at ringmaster if this is correct then I am going to purchase longer leads for DMM and continuity test the 4 pin harness coming down out of the center of him like johnwartjr suggested.

also have backbox popper (cannon) not firing properly. This is likely separate issue I will check next.

#18 9 years ago

1.5 ohms seems way too low. I do not know the correct reading for the RM magnet, but I would think 10-30 ohms would be more like it. My ringmaster also had broken wires in the harness when I got it.

#19 9 years ago

Ok thank you for the input. Last magnet I tested was on goldeneye and that one was 4.5ohms and was suppose to be. I cannot find any information online or in manual on actual value.

I now have popper in backbox working again.

I also found F114 4A 250V slo-blow was blown.

Currently looks like ringmaster magnet and up post not working (sideshow) not working at all.

I will have to look into it more tomorrow. If anyone has more input on this please do not be shy all ideas are always welcome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
8,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magnet-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.