(Topic ID: 226950)

Magnet Driver Boards: Repair or replace?

By Gornkleschnitzer

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gornkleschnitzer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Well, my BK2K and Rollergames both have dead magnet controllers. BK just locked its magnet on, resulting in a bad smell after power-off that had me worried until I realized the problem. Rollergames actually seems to have a dead short in the magnet as well, which blew a fuse and caused me a bunch of irritation until I found that problem.

Of course, RG's magnet itself will need replacing (B-13522 I believe?), but both games are going to need some work on the driver boards.

I have two choices:
- Replace the components on each game's High Current Power Driver board. Cheap, and a trivial board repair.
- Replace the boards entirely with this more robust version:
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-system-11-high-current-driver-board.html

The replacement looks very enticing but (a) it's expensive and (b) I hate to be a throw-away consumer.

So I'd like to hear your input: Replace the boards, or the components? And if the components, has anyone messed with fitting the board with higher-current-rated components to extend its life?

#4 5 years ago

In general, I try to do my own board repairs if at all possible. The last board I sent out for repair (around 2011 or so) came back with a capacitor installed backwards, with predictable results.

These boards, and the headers, look fine. Basically it's a choice of a couple bucks for new components, or $25+shipping each for higher-grade boards with more robust components.

But it sounds like the general consensus is to just buy the good boards! I suppose it's worth the extra money knowing it won't blow up my game in a few years.

The only thing is I'm not a big fan of the surface mount on the new model. Have heard a few things about SMD being less reliable in applications with high mechanical stress (like under a playfield). Out of curiosity, would there be a market for a through-hole version of the beefed-up driver board? I'd legit design one if so.

#6 5 years ago

Well, then perhaps I will just order those, then. My concern about robustness was more directed towards the original component lineup, but I suppose a brand-new TIP36C might last a little longer than one nearly 30 years old.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (OBO)
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Titusville, FL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gornkleschnitzer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magnet-driver-boards-repair-or-replace?tu=Gornkleschnitzer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.