Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by genjackson
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have a BK (1980) and a Grand Lizard (1986). Both have Magna Save, only Grand Lizard's Magna Save allows you to "tap" the button (and just use the magnet for a split second) and thereby re-direct the ball, or just hold the ball for a second. It's an amazing toy.

What other games have a magna-save like Grand Lizard, where you can "TAP" the button for a small effect? (Not the older style that stays locked on for ~5 seconds)

Games with variable Magna-Save:

Solar Fire
Jungle Lord
Pharaoh
Grand Lizard

thanks!
MOF

#2 10 years ago

Theatre of Magic has Magna Save. I really like the way you activate it by hitting targets rather than
just pushing a button. When activated by hitting target it stays on for approximately 20 seconds then shuts off until you hit target again. I love it because it takes skill to keep it activated!
Can be frustrating at times when you don't have it activated!

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I have a BK (1980) and a Grand Lizard (1986). Both have Magna Save, only Grand Lizard's Magna Save allows you to "tap" the button (and just use the magnet for a split second) and thereby re-direct the ball, or just hold the ball for a second. It's an amazing toy.
What other games have a magna-save like Grand Lizard, where you can "TAP" the button for a small effect? (Not the older style that stays locked on for ~5 seconds)
thanks!
MOF

Like the magna flip in TZ?

#4 10 years ago

BK has an adjustment in the menu somewhere to change the amount of seconds the magnet stays on. You can adjust it to grab and let go if you would like.

#5 10 years ago

No.
Located on the drain lanes. Stops ball dead then sends it down the flipper lane complete with
sound effects. It is really cool!

#6 10 years ago

Here's an excitable guy doing a review of TOM.

#7 10 years ago

So the answer is no other game has what Grand Lizard has? I find that hard to believe...

I wonder what the BK2K Magna Save is like ?
-mof

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from spanks_4:

BK has an adjustment in the menu somewhere to change the amount of seconds the magnet stays on. You can adjust it to grab and let go if you would like.

I didn't know that -- I think I'll turn mine down just 1 second on the BK. Thanks!
-mof

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

So the answer is no other game has what Grand Lizard has? I find that hard to believe...
-mof

Pharoah and Jungle Lord have variable length magna-saves...

Later,
EV

#10 10 years ago

Games with magna-save: http://ipdb.org/search.pl?any=magna+save&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

I believe BK and BK2K are the only magna-save games where duration *isn't* controlled by the player. Though I'm not sure how it works on TOM and WCS.

#11 10 years ago

I love the magna save on my jungle lord , fun aspect !

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Pharoah and Jungle Lord have variable length magna-saves...
Later,
EV

I had figured. I think GL borrowed everything from elsewhere. thanks!
-mof

#13 10 years ago

I love the magna save on Black Knight...
When you finally earn it and then use it to late- the Black Knight laughs at you.
But when timed right it feels so sweet.

#14 10 years ago

Unsuccessful use of magna-save on Pharaoh: "YOU FAIL!"
I'm a sucker for a game that mocks poor performance - especially in an early 80's synthesized voice!

#15 10 years ago

My Solar Fire has magna-save

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from genjackson:

My Solar Fire has magna-save

Is it variable length, or does it just stay on for X seconds?

thanks!
-mof

#17 10 years ago

Grand Lizard is a very similar layout to Solar Fire. And yes, Solar Fire magna-save can be pulsed up to three times each (until you refill it).

check out the ipdb link above.

#18 10 years ago

Wish someone would do magna save again. I say that about once a month (ask my buddies).

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Is it variable length, or does it just stay on for X seconds?
thanks!
-mof

I think you can hold it for 3-4 seconds, but it lets off as soon as you let off the button.

#20 10 years ago

Indeed I think Magna-save is cool enough to do again. Just like a normal kickback: I like the fact that there'll be one in The Hobbit: when was the last game featuring one? Seems quite long ago, and it's a very inexpensive part to put on a game.

#21 10 years ago

Goldeneye had a magna save I think, I might be mistaken there though.

#22 10 years ago

doesnt wcs94 have one?

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

doesnt wcs94 have one?

Yes

#24 10 years ago

The variable magnasave on Jungle Lord is pretty cool,it takes some practice to get the hang of when to us the button and at what point to let the button go to flip the ball back out into the playfield.It's really neat when you get it right though..

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

doesnt wcs94 have one?

I have to say I don't understand, nor have ever seen, the "magna save" on World Cup do anything (anything useful anyway). It isn't near the outlanes like most other games...it is kinda above the left flipper. I really don't know what the purpose of it was.

Speaking of TOM...I don't consider it a magna save really. I guess it technically is, but since it works automatically it isn't interactive and therefore, not nearly as satisfying as others listed.

EDIT: I don't mean to pick on JPop. I like both of these games, but just don't consider either of these a magna save.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I have to say I don't understand, nor have ever seen, the "magna save" on World Cup do anything (anything useful anyway). It isn't near the outlanes like most other games...it is kinda above the left flipper. I really don't know what the purpose of it was.
Speaking of TOM...I don't consider it a magna save really. I guess it technically is, but since it works automatically it isn't interactive and therefore, not nearly as satisfying as others listed.
EDIT: I don't mean to pick on JPop. I like both of these games, but just don't consider either of these a magna save.

You kick the ball right off that magnet to the goal!

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

You kick the ball right off that magnet to the goal!

So it holds it and it is lined up for a goal kick? Is there any difference from doing that and just flipping it in without the magnet?

#28 10 years ago

Just a cool tidbit, at the right angle, you can throw the ball from one magnasave to the other in Solar Fire. I just found that out

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

So it holds it and it is lined up for a goal kick? Is there any difference from doing that and just flipping it in without the magnet?

I believe so. Watch some videos on YouTube or papa blog to see how it works. I have seen it live but never was able to do it myself.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from genjackson:

Just a cool tidbit, at the right angle, you can throw the ball from one magnasave to the other in Solar Fire. I just found that out

That is totally cool! You should set up a video camera and once you catch that video, post it for us to see! SpfxTed would probably make a cool gif out of it!

#31 10 years ago

That would be a total test of skill. You can have up to six uses, three on each side. It'd be interesting to see if you could pass it back and forth til you ran out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Langhorne, PA
$ 4,600.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magna-save and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.