Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tootsie-pop-owl (resized).jpg
vlcsnap-2011-01-17-16h21m27s224-1024x422 (resized).png
I plus one (resized).jpg
1148Meijer-Gfunction (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I am guessing I am not the only one with a “magic” number of pins. My magic number is 10 even though I have 12 at the moment, working it down to 10 keepers and might keep a few for putting in bars. What’s your magic number?

#2 6 years ago

I believe you need to think in multiples. Like 3. So times 3 is 9. Times 4 is 12.

10 is too big a number to start. Next you'll have a 100.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

I am a player and an operator . But I am also a collector . My magic number is not in the realm of my reality .
I would like to own 60+ pinball machines from all era's .

#4 6 years ago

At my arcade I always liked 22. I have 19 right now. Will be back to 22 this year.

LTG : )

#6 6 years ago

When i had not so deep pins mostly b/w i needed 10 not to get bored.... but since getting jjp pins with a few b/w pins im quite happy with 5 or so. Gonna be a all jjp collection here soon

#7 6 years ago

My magic number seems to be 124 pins.

rd

#8 6 years ago

Universal pinball rule.

Your ideal collection is your current collection +1.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Universal pinball rule.

I usually say, "Just one more..."

#10 6 years ago

X + 0.3X

where X = space to fit them

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

I usually say, "Just one more..."

I agree...i always want one more. However sometimes when I go in my gameroom and look around I feel a sense of sadness. All these games and only a handful of people to enjoy them at most. Sometimes only the wife and I. Don't get me wrong, they excite and bring huge enjoyment. It just saddens me that only a couple will be turned on today while the others sit idle until it's their day. There's just so many times you can push play on any given day. Definately not complaining just sharing my thoughts. I've tossed around the idea of posting a flyer to start a league at the local grocery store but not sure random strangers and I can hit it off. And yes I have friends, just not pinhead friends.

#12 6 years ago

6000. And a winning powerball ticket to fund it!

#13 6 years ago

I'm hoping to add a couple more this year. My issue is deciding to let them go or not. I don't play mine much anymore as they have gotten a little stale. Do I keep them and maybe with a larger collection, I'll get back to playing them more? Or I could easily flip them for something fresh, but will I regret it? It honestly drives me batty sometimes.

#14 6 years ago

1148Meijer-Gfunction (resized).jpg1148Meijer-Gfunction (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

Definitely not 2.

#17 6 years ago

My magic number 8 years ago was 5. I now have 40 (some projects mind you). My math is correct, I know it.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

my magic number is 125 I guess

#19 6 years ago

Actually my real magic number is 104. That makes up 26 four banks. Each bank having a diversity of eras and play styles, arranged in alphabetical order.

I will then be able to host a tournament with 104 players playing ALL games in four packs non-stop from start to end.

#20 6 years ago

I've always appreciated whatever number I could afford. The most I've ever had, due to limited space, is 5 and soon I'll be down to 2 due to finances and kids in college. I feel fortunate just to be in the hobby at all. Keep it in perspective...it's just pinball

#21 6 years ago

It's 7, end of story, close the thread, and you're welcome

#22 6 years ago

infinity

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Actually my real magic number is 104. That makes up 26 four banks. Each bank having a diversity of eras and play styles, arranged in alphabetical order.
I will then be able to host a tournament with 104 players playing ALL games in four packs non-stop from start to end.

dont forget the back up games for when something goes wrong! 130? An extra game for each bank

#24 6 years ago

I think you take the number of pins you can put into your house, round up, and then carry the one.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

dont forget the back up games for when something goes wrong! 130? An extra game for each bank

so long as you come out for the inaugural event!

#26 6 years ago

For me, 10-12. When I had 50+ many got little to no play, there was always a backlog of games to repair/restore that I would never have the time to get to. It was an obsession. Now, it's just a part of my life. When I go downstairs to work on a game it's because I want to, not because I have to or feel obligated to.

#27 6 years ago

18-20 works well for most large game rooms.
More than 25+ requires much more dedication, space, and expertise especially from multiple manufacturers.

Reference point of why:
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/xtheblackknightx/stories/how-many-pinball-machines-do-you-own

#28 6 years ago

15 is the magic number that fits nice in my basement, without getting all Tetris with them. I *could* angle them, or squeeze some along some of the walking area, but I choose not to.

I think mentally, you need to steel yourself with the "right" number for your space, and draw that line and never cross it.

#29 6 years ago

Yup.

I plus one (resized).jpgI plus one (resized).jpg

#30 6 years ago

Just one more!!!

#31 6 years ago

Ultimately, the magic number would be based on the space available! Though I must say, I've found multiples of 4 works well for parties/tournaments, because then it makes for easier tournament bracket progression.

#32 6 years ago

I'm typically only playing around 3 heavily at any given time. I felt good around 12 because I could rotate around and games never really got stale. I have 16 right now and will fill up at 20 in my current space.

I would love to have space for about 40 games.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

15 is the magic number that fits nice in my basement, without getting all Tetris with them. I *could* angle them, or squeeze some along some of the walking area, but I choose not to.
I think mentally, you need to steel yourself with the "right" number for your space, and draw that line and never cross it.

Yes - perfectly said. That modus operandi also keeps everyone else in the living space happy and in harmony as well.

#34 6 years ago

vlcsnap-2011-01-17-16h21m27s224-1024x422 (resized).pngvlcsnap-2011-01-17-16h21m27s224-1024x422 (resized).png

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

This is actually the correct answer. Rows and rows and rows.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

My wife told me it's 9.

Lol... that being said I was going to chime in at depends on how much space you have and.... how many friends space you have! Wife need not know if your friends space is involved right?
chuckwurt

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

My wife told me it's 9.

Still got room for one more, nice! Hit me up if your TWD ever ends up on the chopping block, I miss Eddie LOL.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Still got room for one more, nice! Hit me up if your TWD ever ends up on the chopping block, I miss Eddie LOL.

TWD has stayed the longest and I don't see it leaving anytime soon. Eddie brought me a Mustang recently, such a great guy.

#40 6 years ago

Between 6 and 7

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Universal pinball rule.

came here to say that

#42 6 years ago

I only have room for 5 (and that is how many I have). In my mind I would love to have 8 if I had the space. I am sure if I had 8 then I would want 12. And then 12 would become 16...you see how this goes...

#43 6 years ago

I'd say its all about location/space/workmanship (multiplied with a little "Kentucky Windage")
Started with 1. Have gone to 12 at one time. Now I'm at 6-8 machines currently. I've gone through (sold and traded) more then 25 .
I'd say somewhere between 5-8 is the magic.
tootsie-pop-owl (resized).jpgtootsie-pop-owl (resized).jpg

#45 6 years ago

I long for 8-15 capacity

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
Machine - For Sale
Auburn, WA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Youngstown, OH
$ 218.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 45.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magic-number-of-pins?hl=brewinbombers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.