PXL_20230512_192553513.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20230512_192646295.MP (resized).jpg
theatre_complete (resized).png
spirit_ring (resized).png
spirit_cards (resized).png
midnight_madness_2 (resized).png
midnight_madness (resized).png
safe_escape (resized).png
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

Happy Friday all!

Hope everyone is coming out of their food comas well enough. As previously announced, we are showcasing our next mod in the PinVision interactive display line, this time featuring Theatre of Magic!

I'm very excited to share this one with you.

This mod features a specially designed mirror plate backed by a 7" TFT LCD panel that will display sharp graphics and animations! As with all of our mods, we strive for the utmost interactivity, and this uses the same control system that we designed for the PinVision for Twilight Zone mod!

We've got videos for each mode with adjustable "distraction level". For each mode, you can opt out of video features and/or LEDs.

Installation is simple and easy, and uses the same two bolts that currently hold the factory mirror. Just run your cables up through the back, into the head to our controller board.

The mirror uses the same control system we designed for Twilight Zone that features:
- Full sound interactivity
- Full power isolation from the game to prevent system resets
- Customizable videos via the mod's SD card
- Expansion port for added functionality in the future
- Easy installation using existing mounting points, never drill into your cab or hardware!

*** FIRST BATCH SHIPS IN 4-5 WEEKS ***

*** INTRO BLACK FRIDAY SALE PRICE OF $429.00 FOR THE FIRST 20 UNITS ***

Each kit includes the required wire harnesses, power adapters, data cables and software to get you up and running, turnkey!

Please feel free to comment, criticize, question or whatever either in this thread or in PM!

Shop link: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1118-86pixels/04556-theatre-of-magic-magic-mirror
IMG_20200826_201649 (resized).jpgIMG_20200826_201649 (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.08.58 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.08.58 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.09.14 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.09.14 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.09.23 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.09.23 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.09.36 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.09.36 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.09.56 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.09.56 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.10.06 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.10.06 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.10.17 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.10.17 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.10.27 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.10.27 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.10.45 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.10.45 PM (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Nice job! Looks amazing dude.

#3 3 years ago

Looks like you hit another home run. Unfortunately I sold my TOM. Hopefully in time you can do this same kind of mod for the Creature and other titles. I sure you will. Congratulations!

#4 3 years ago

Looks awesome!

#5 3 years ago

Looks good Jimmy! Unfortunately, I sold my ToM as well.

#6 3 years ago

Looks very nice! Wish I owned a TOM, and a TZ for that matter.

#7 3 years ago

Great mod!

Is the intensity of the LEDs adjustable?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Great mod!
Is the intensity of the LEDs adjustable?

Yessir indeed it is. Right now we have them on "wrath of the sun" setting.

Quoted from Lermods:

Looks very nice! Wish I owned a TOM, and a TZ for that matter.

Thank you kindly! This one was a lot of fun to make, still quite a bit of work to go to get the polish level up!

Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Looks good Jimmy! Unfortunately, I sold my ToM as well.

Quoted from Mikespinball:

Looks like you hit another home run. Unfortunately I sold my TOM. Hopefully in time you can do this same kind of mod for the Creature and other titles. I sure you will. Congratulations!

Thank you for the kind words! Stay tuned, more games on the way!

Quoted from Titan_Pinball:

Nice job! Looks amazing dude.

Thanks man! I am beyond grateful for your help!

#9 3 years ago

Just picked one up for my ToM, Jimmy!

#10 3 years ago

Ordered! Looks great as expected.

Added 8 months ago:

Reordered on August 8, 2023. (Finally!)

#11 3 years ago

Hi jimmy, looking at the video, it looks amazing.
I realise this is an early version and that it is fully customizable, still Some feedback as requested:

1) the bottom led row for me kills the theater concept as it outlines a rectangle around the scene, especially this the current cinematic circling around it, I would use less of it, and more of an animation that starts from the center top under the mask decalc and flow left and right down the left and right pillars. Donno if I am clear but for me it is more theater lighting style

2) is it possible to have a video animation with the passing of time as the pinball callout? Six o’clock, seven o clock and so on till midnight madness? I réalise that you want to switch off the screen so the mirror has its reflection once the ball is at the top so maybe it’s not compatible, or maybe the animation could be high enough in the screen display so the bottom of the theater is still doing the mirror trick or it could be super quick

3) some of the existing mirror mod with yellow led have a top red curtain decalc which prolong the backboard ones, it is sort of neat, you may want to play with the concept. For me this reinforces the magic theater scene look

Cheers. Etienne

#12 3 years ago

Amazed AF

#13 3 years ago

Well done Jimmy - looks awesome. I think this will be just as successful and in demand as your TZ mod and between the 2 of them you and your wife are very, very busy!!

So one question, what game is up next for a mod?? LOL but seriously, congrats it looks amazing and beautifully integrated into the theme

#14 3 years ago

Looks awesome, and I want one! Do you ship to Australia? Your Pinside shop says no.

#15 3 years ago

I just ordered one Jimmy!

Once again, thanks for the fantastic work and contribution of your talent to the pinball scene.

Is the next reveal on Christmas Eve? Is it STTNG?

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Once again, thanks for the fantastic work and contribution of your talent to the pinball scene.

STTNG would be FANTASTIC!

#17 3 years ago

+1 for STTNG. But won't be complaining if it's CFTBL or T2

Anyway back to Magic Mirror Mod on TOM

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

STTNG would be FANTASTIC!

How would that work?
I didn't see Compy 's previous reveal... but this is clearly serious improvement for the mirror of TOM.
What would STNG use as a prop? The backboard?
I wouldn't want a random LCD stuck on the PF somewhere.

If Jimmy needs a beta tester here in Austin... he knows who to call.

Congrats on this awesome reveal; hopefully one day they'll be one for a game I own.

#19 3 years ago

Tried to order, but is says you cannot ship to france. Mind adjusting the shop?
Would buy the STTNG as well if you ever do it. I guess the only back ground spot would be on the right side of the borg ship.
Etienne

#20 3 years ago

Looks great, tried to order one but got a message it can't be delivered to Sweden. Please fix it as it looks awesome and I need one in my life

"Sorry, this shop does not ship to Sweden. Please change your shipping address to an address in one of USA, CAN."

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from etien:

Hi jimmy, looking at the video, it looks amazing.
I realise this is an early version and that it is fully customizable, still Some feedback as requested:
1) the bottom led row for me kills the theater concept as it outlines a rectangle around the scene, especially this the current cinematic circling around it, I would use less of it, and more of an animation that starts from the center top under the mask decalc and flow left and right down the left and right pillars. Donno if I am clear but for me it is more theater lighting style
2) is it possible to have a video animation with the passing of time as the pinball callout? Six o’clock, seven o clock and so on till midnight madness? I réalise that you want to switch off the screen so the mirror has its reflection once the ball is at the top so maybe it’s not compatible, or maybe the animation could be high enough in the screen display so the bottom of the theater is still doing the mirror trick or it could be super quick
3) some of the existing mirror mod with yellow led have a top red curtain decalc which prolong the backboard ones, it is sort of neat, you may want to play with the concept. For me this reinforces the magic theater scene look
Cheers. Etienne

I agree to nr 1, an option to simply turn off bottom row of leds to get a more "theater stage" feeling would be nice.

#22 3 years ago

Just had my TOM two days--perfect timing! Love your twilight mod

#23 3 years ago

Good morning all!

Just a few updates:

Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I agree to nr 1, an option to simply turn off bottom row of leds to get a more "theater stage" feeling would be nice.

Agreed! Great idea etien as always! Fantastic feedback too. I've added a software option to turn the LEDs off on the bottom row. I'll also see about getting a curtain decal made that can go on the front side of the mirroring so you can see it. Maybe an option with no LEDs at all?

Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Looks great, tried to order one but got a message it can't be delivered to Sweden. Please fix it as it looks awesome and I need one in my life
"Sorry, this shop does not ship to Sweden. Please change your shipping address to an address in one of USA, CAN."

I've now opened things up internationally due to the demand! You should see that reflected in the shop. We're working with DHL, and hopefully the rates mirror pretty closely what it costs to ship abroad. When we start shipping, this also means that you should get things rather quickly!

Quoted from ToucanF16:

Next reveal should be in December

#24 3 years ago

Ordered thanks.
Looking forward the STTNG announcement and my TZ backboard

#25 3 years ago

Thank you sir - ordered!

#26 3 years ago

Great with fixing the shop for outside US - ordered one!

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Agreed! Great idea etien as always! Fantastic feedback too. I've added a software option to turn the LEDs off on the bottom row.

When bottom row of LEDs is disabled, an alternate LED animation would make sense (ping-pong, slow pulse, always on)

#29 3 years ago

Sold our Theater of Magic long ago sadly.
But still holding out I’m far enough up on the TZ list in time for Christmas.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

When bottom row of LEDs is disabled, an alternate LED animation would make sense (ping-pong, slow pulse, always on)

Yes ping pong would be great! Even though I like my “waterfall” idea as well. If each led is driven separately by a software pinduino style i guess everything is possible. ( adding to slow pulse, randomly blinking is also cool if not abused )

Another approach to avoid the movie theater billboard effect could be: instead of switching off the bottom row we could have it in a different static color without animation, maybe dimmer. Red would be an option assuming most of the pillar/curtain animation would be on the yellow/orange/light blue tone

#31 3 years ago

Nice work!!

#32 3 years ago

Wait a sec... Compy you spelled Creature incorrectly. You had crEATure, not thEATre.

I don't have a TOM, but this mod looks tight. I really like the player's perspective for this one.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Wait a sec... compy you spelled Creature incorrectly. You had crEATure, not thEATre.
I don't have a TOM, but this mod looks tight. I really like the player's perspective for this one.

Stay tuned

#34 3 years ago
#35 3 years ago

Are they selling like hotcakes like the TZ backboard? Maybe not since since ToM production is less than half the TZ.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Are they selling like hotcakes like the TZ backboard? Maybe not since since ToM production is less than half the TZ.

1 left in stock.... Not bad in a couple of days for a product still in development.

#37 3 years ago

Are these all sold? Can’t be leave the thread is so quiet!

#38 3 years ago

Any more updates or news about the status on this? It's really quiet here now.

#39 3 years ago

Wondering the same

#40 3 years ago

Good morning all!

Things have been anything but quiet here, but I'm happy to provide an update! All the TFT panels are in and tested, so they're safely boxed and just waiting to be assembled into the frame that mounts both it and the LED ring to the game.

The LED ring is undergoing a design change, so I'm waiting for the first run boards back. This change simplifies the mounting structure to the display board itself as well as removes the bottom row of LEDs so its more theatre like. The whole assembly still uses the same two mounting holes where the original mirror is.

The plastic panels have been cut and are going to have the semi-mirror finish applied next week. You can see below the factory cut panels versus the one after the finish is on. I actually ran these panels off of the original WMS CAD design, but ended up modifying things a tad. Our new assembly is slightly larger than the old mirror, so the mounting points were moved up, and the left "ear" on the mirror design was lowered so that it won't hit the tiger saw plastic.

Controller boards are in. We've got about 150 of those in stock right now. There is a 5 pin expansion port that connects the controller to the LED ring, and for the first few units, I'll be assembling cable harnesses for that by hand to make sure things work well for the first few customers. At that point, I'll ship it off to get assembled professionally (our TZ harnesses are now done this way).

While we are dealing with logistics delays (USPS is basically ground to a halt at this point), we're doing the following:
1. Ordering parts from domestic suppliers wherever possible and using UPS/FedEx
2. All international shipments (inbound and outbound) are being routed through DHL because they're still mostly on time... at least for us.
3. Batch ordering all essential parts in sufficient quantities prior to holiday break/chinese new year/etc so that our product shipments stay on (or really close to) schedule.

Given what I see now, we'll be shipping these out just after new years.

As always, feel free to ping me with any questions!

-- Jimmy

PXL_20201212_131956979 (resized).jpgPXL_20201212_131956979 (resized).jpgPXL_20201212_133405725 (resized).jpgPXL_20201212_133405725 (resized).jpg

#41 3 years ago

I've ordered/paid one and while reading your update just now it got me thinking about how it's all powered.

The original post states "Full power isolation from the game to prevent system resets" but how exactly is that done? A separate transformer (hopefully included)? Where do we plug that in, in the metal service box outlet inside or in an ordinary wall outlet outside the cabinet? What about us from EU with 230V and a different physical plug, you got us covered?

Thanks

#42 3 years ago

Looking good Jimmy!

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I've ordered/paid one and while reading your update just now it got me thinking about how it's all powered.
The original post states "Full power isolation from the game to prevent system resets" but how exactly is that done? A separate transformer (hopefully included)? Where do we plug that in, in the metal service box outlet inside or in an ordinary wall outlet outside the cabinet? What about us from EU with 230V and a different physical plug, you got us covered?
Thanks

I include the required cable to plug the adapter into the service outlet inside the game. The system is indeed designed to isolate itself from the game (aside from the common ground references). All the junk being powered (control board, LEDs, display board, etc) are all powered by a separate transformer, but the board itself takes one 5V connector from the game to engage a relay which switches the main supply.

If that's not an option and we have sufficient EU orders, I'll happily toss a plug converter in the box before we ship it out to you.

Regardless, I'll do whatever it takes to make sure you're up and running with minimal headache where possible.

-- Jimmy

3 weeks later
#44 3 years ago

I know you guys have a lot to do (tz, tom and now cftbl) but any status updates on this mod?

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I know you guys have a lot to do (tz, tom and now cftbl) but any status updates on this mod?

Good evening! Thanks for asking, right now we're just waiting on the next test revision of RGB LEDs for the screen border. Software, other hardware and harnesses are ready to roll. As soon as those are in, we're ready to roll. There have just been a ton of logistics delays due to the holidays and postal system load.

For those who we have promised to bundle shipping, if your TZ mod is ready before the TOM parts come in, we'll eat the second shipment cost unless you otherwise request us to hold your shipment.

-- Jimmy

3 weeks later
#46 3 years ago

Any updates on the progress for this mod Compy ?

Sorry to nag about it but I'm eager to receive mine

#47 3 years ago

Good morning all!

The first units have shipped out. Those who are receiving theirs have been notified and are doing the appropriate tests to make sure that the instructions are clear and the process is smooth. A bit about what's been happening, our prototype LED boards came back and they were missing two ground fills, which meant that the LEDs didn't light up. The first customers agreed to go ahead and test their units with the manual modifications that we did to get the board working. Those customers will receive replacement drop in boards. We've had slight delays due to Chinese New Year coming up, but the fab is still open, just at a lower capacity. I expect to have those fixed boards in.

We opted to upgrade to a custom LED PCB compared to that LED strip tape you usually find because its much cleaner and has a much greater structural integrity instead of literally gluing it to the LCD glass.

Those boards should be in next week or first of the week after (based on estimates from the fab). We'll get those rolling out.

Be good, stay healthy! Continue forwarding any questions you like!

-- Jimmy

#48 3 years ago

Super news, going to start looking at my eMails...

#49 3 years ago

Nice progress, good news.

1 week later
#50 3 years ago

Bumpeti-bump

Any interesting feedback from the test units you already sent out?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magic-mirror-mod-for-theatre-of-magic-by-86pixels?hl=dantesmark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.