95F745D6-313D-4A1F-A4E8-E187ED67CEF4 (resized).png
2978CC73-0264-4F84-9F8B-0B8827E98C7E (resized).jpeg
7B40D938-93D1-4FFB-831F-AC8A6E17D86C (resized).jpeg
5ABFA57E-BDF0-4A7A-8F41-6EDF17CC3D00 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5360 Large (resized).jpeg
IMG_5329 (resized).JPG
IMG_5328 (resized).JPG
2334288C-2BDA-4282-93C6-2FD306807AC4 (resized).png
There are 219 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 1 year ago

Would you buy one if AP announces they're making them... and they work?

#2 1 year ago

No.

#3 1 year ago

Just curious why not? Is it the game itself or the troubled past or a bit of both?

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Just curious why not? Is it the game itself or the troubled past or a bit of both?

The Jpop stink will never wash off

#5 1 year ago

It's a clunky piece of shit with ghastly geometry, shots to nowhere, a dumb theme, and a horrible history of pain and tears.

That's for starters. But Kudos to AP if they can figure out a way to put a shooter lane groove into this playfield (apparently this was beyond Zidware's capabilities).

#6 1 year ago

Didn't a couple of Dutch guys rework the geometry and code for the game?

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

I don't think they changed the shots, but they may have come up with a way for the ball to actually get to the upper playfield.

I think they were flogging it for around $60K, no idea if they found someone dumb enough to take the bait on it.

#8 1 year ago

I still got mine in the box …. Best to leave it there I think I still think it’s a amazing looking machine it’s just not a good pinball game .

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't think they changed the shots, but they may have come up with a way for the ball to actually get to the upper playfield.
I think they were flogging it for around $60K, no idea if they found someone dumb enough to take the bait on it.

Yep, I saw it for sale for €55,000 a few months ago in The Netherlands.

20220507_131553 (resized).jpg20220507_131553 (resized).jpg
#10 1 year ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

[quoted image]

Wow!

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

Yes they did and it has code now or at least more code lol.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

I still got mine in the box …. Best to leave it there I think I still think it’s a amazing looking machine it’s just not a good pinball game .

That's sad. Such a beautiful game. Everyone should own a Jpop machine at least once. They have this unique whimsicalness about them I just can't put into words better.

#13 1 year ago

I think all the currently successful manufacturers are too sane to take on this albatross. The one at Expo is just a single machine that took years and a team of people to get working.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

I think all the currently successful manufacturers are too sane to take on this albatross. The one at Expo is just a single machine that took years and a team of people to get working.

So pretty doubtful it ever gets made...based on some reactions here, I can see why...

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

[quoted image]

"1 of 4"

Nobody knows what the word "unique" means. It means there is ONLY ONE. "uni" - it's right there in the word.

It doesn't mean "extremely rare" it means there is literally only one of these on the entire planet.

RM

#16 1 year ago

Owned one, what a mess.

Keep the art and rebuild the whole playfield layout then you might have something.

Keep JPop away, far far away.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Would you buy one if AP announces they're making them... and they work?

This thread title is confusing. It reads as fact. Is this a fact, or are you just asking a hypothetical?

In either case - F Jpop & RIP to any company that even remotely attempts to sell his toxic purple trash.

#18 1 year ago

I hope not. I love American Pinball but their desire to cling to the not distant enough past makes this rumor believable. LET IT DIE!

#19 1 year ago
D2ABEB28-DE26-4D87-81C8-75C9AEC03FFC (resized).jpegD2ABEB28-DE26-4D87-81C8-75C9AEC03FFC (resized).jpeg
#20 1 year ago

FOR F*CK SAKES…

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from MegaFeenix:

FOR F*CK SAKES…

Seriously.

How long is this corpse gonna get dragged around the world?

#22 1 year ago

I think it brings some closure to the saga.

At least you can play it now.

#23 1 year ago

NO

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I think it brings some closure to the saga.
At least you can play it now.

Doubt it.

“Wow someone really needs to make this. Maybe even American!!!”

#25 1 year ago

The only good thing that will ever come out of this mess is Zombie Yeti.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This thread title is confusing. It reads as fact. Is this a fact, or are you just asking a hypothetical?
In either case - F Jpop & RIP to any company that even remotely attempts to sell his toxic purple trash.

Total hypothetical. But they are indeed bringing the working game to expo. Why? Just to share for sharing sake? Maybe there’s something more to come? From the vibe of the comments I don’t think it would sell well.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Total hypothetical. But they are indeed bringing the working game to expo. Why? Just to share for sharing sake?

Maybe the thought of... What better way to sell your project then to bring it to the industry's most visible event?

#28 1 year ago

Die
Die
Die
My darling
Don't utter a single word

#29 1 year ago
E937CF3A-D504-4EA3-AB0F-6FFD2CFDE03D (resized).jpegE937CF3A-D504-4EA3-AB0F-6FFD2CFDE03D (resized).jpeg
#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Total hypothetical. But they are indeed bringing the working game to expo. Why? Just to share for sharing sake? Maybe there’s something more to come? From the vibe of the comments I don’t think it would sell well.

Oh, so it is real that they’re bringing it. Weird, just weird. What’s next, bringing a new Trudeau game? Let the trash of evil men burn at the dump. We’ve all moved on to better machines by better people.

#31 1 year ago

Before everyone is telling there own truth, just ask what’s going on . Yes i rebuild the Magic Girl and yes its working . And no it was not just making some small things work .
It was 3 years of work and many months of programming , that part did others.
The price ? Yes we ask a lot and yes at the moment that foto was taken there were only 4 working ….. its parts, programming costs and more together that makes the price .
what about expo? AP provided Robert Berk one MG after he played on one here in holland at oure workshop . He send his mg over i am almost done after 2 weeks of rebuilding it .
So it isn’t a simple thing .
We love the machine and his art . We hate the way things went wrong in history, but i did a great job . You hate me now ? I don’t care but don’t talk bulls

Is AP going to build it! I don’t know but they can’t copy our work , and I didn’t get any questions at this moment to diliver any parts or code

#32 1 year ago

Where the magic is completed

ADA1F365-4118-48E5-B578-95233953C866 (resized).jpegADA1F365-4118-48E5-B578-95233953C866 (resized).jpegEC6C88BA-C572-43D5-B3AA-AA638772DA6D (resized).jpegEC6C88BA-C572-43D5-B3AA-AA638772DA6D (resized).jpeg
#33 1 year ago

The title “Magic Girl” makes me die just a little bit every time I hear it.

#34 1 year ago

Machine looks like it was made by some dork with a pony tail.

#35 1 year ago

should AP build it ... I'm sure it will sell !

Was enough interest that people put themselves in jeopardy to lose money in the first place !

#36 1 year ago

That Weekend at Bernie's pic made my day and made me laugh out loud-funny shit

When I first heard of MG, everyone was glamouring over the art, etc. I never understood what the fuss was all about. To me the art is horrid and the rehashed elements of previous work is cringe worthy. Now throw in the poor layout that never even worked and the scammer behind it-just had me scratching my head. A rare game that does not play is just a paper weight to me-not a collector piece. Even if they figured out a way to make it play-still looks like a clunk fest to me.

What kind of theme is 'Magic Girl'?

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

But they are indeed bringing the working game to expo. Why? Just to share for sharing sake?

Pinball Expo has a history of bringing rare games to "share for sharing sake" so that would not surprise me.
.................David Marston

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from dmarston:

Pinball Expo has a history of bringing rare games to "share for sharing sake" so that would not surprise me.
.................David Marston

Yea, but this is the first time a pinball company that is in business manufacturing not rare games is doing it.

Seems like a distraction. Come for the shitty prototype, leave with an Oktoberfest?

Not sure I get the concept. Is Stern bringing a Goin’ Nuts? Does JJP have a zingy Bingy for us?

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is Stern bringing a Goin’ Nuts? Does JJP have a zingy Bingy for us?

Hey now I am still patiently waiting for Kingpin and Pinball Circus...holding my breath and starting to turn blue

#40 1 year ago

Best thing about Magic Girl is the art -- is it ZY who did it?

#41 1 year ago

Yes I believe it was his first pin? Got his foot in the door.

#42 1 year ago

Seems like something cool to see at Expo. "You've read about Magic Girl and heard Kaneda talk about it. Now see it and PLAY IT for yourself in our booth!"

It's a pinball show and this is a pinball machine. No brainer. People are rankled because some people got scammed years ago? Yup, they sure did. So what?

#43 1 year ago

I really don't get why so much effort gets put into this title. Is it really simply because of the artwork?

People know they can get new artwork made right? That there are numerous talented illustrators out there? I just don't get it...

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Seems like something cool to see at Expo. "You're read about Magic Girl and heard Kaneda talk about it. Now see it and PLAY IT for yourself in our booth!"
It's a pinball show and this is a pinball machine. No brainer. People are rankled because some people got scammed years ago? Yup, they sure did. So what?

People are puzzled why AP is sponsoring this.

You don’t see paramount pictures bringing up Ishtar. I don’t remember Sony dragging a 3D tv to any recent trade shows.

Why are they spotlighting their greatest, most embarrassing failure? Instead of actual pinball machines to sell?

It’s super fucking weird. It would be a lot less strange if it was a rando collector of expensive garbage dragging this to the show.

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People are puzzled why AP is sponsoring this.
You don’t see paramount pictures bringing up Ishtar. I don’t remember Sony dragging a 3D tv to any recent trade shows.
Why are they spotlighting their greatest, most embarrassing failure?

Because someone else is in charge now and is tasked with keeping their manufacturing line busy at all costs? (In part because original licensed themes don't sell in large numbers)

That's the best I got. It really doesn't make much sense besides that and/or Fix trying to help prop up Expo.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from comrep:

Where the magic is completed
[quoted image][quoted image]

Seems par for the course to have someone else finish a jpop project. Amazing job only a select few could even attempt!

#47 1 year ago

Just wanted to give another point of view on this. I don’t need y’all to agree, just hear me out.

There is a stunning lack of pinball games with women as protagonists or women friendly themes. The magic girl artwork draws me in. I know it’s not a great game, but I’m intrigued.

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

finish a jpop project

Ahem-spelling correction-it is Jpoop not jpop

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

There is a stunning lack of pinball games with women as protagonists or women friendly themes

I do agree with you there is a void when it comes to women based themes. I think my wife would get more into pinball if she had a theme to relate to. She has been addicted to playing ABBA on our virtual and it is the first time she will go turn it on herself and play by herself. She also likes Wh20, and Shrek. I know many manufacturers would not take the risk of a theme that is non male based but I am all for it. If Stern made a rethemed Beatles with ABBA-I would buy it just for the wife. Now if it was a 'The Bachelor' pin-I may have to pass

Wonder Women possibly?

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I do agree with you there is a void when it comes to women based themes. I think my wife would get more into pinball if she had a theme to relate to. She has been addicted to playing ABBA on our virtual and it is the first time she will go turn it on herself and play by herself. She also likes Wh20, and Shrek. I know many manufacturers would not take the risk of a theme that is non male based but I am all for it. If Stern made a rethemed Beatles with ABBA-I would buy it just for the wife. Now if it was a 'The Bachelor' pin-I may have to pass
Wonder Women possibly?

It’s one of the reasons I bought Halloween and Alien, though you aren’t named as Laurie Strode or Ripley in either.

There are 219 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magic-girl-to-be-at-expo-courtesy-of-american-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.