Magic Girl discussion thread (breakage, issues and other)

(Topic ID: 181585)

Magic Girl discussion thread (breakage, issues and other)

By Taxman

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pinballs
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

34947a6f91272fd3c4d8937c8b42d54ed22b343e (resized).jpg
Replace (resized).PNG
IMG_8222 (resized).JPG
IMG_8223 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 12.25.11 PM (resized).png
MGring (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 1 year ago

They are being picked up. We saw the pictures and videos. Let's get the real talk going.

Why not. If Stern gets threads for Ghosting and issues so should MG if the few want to talk.

#2 1 year ago

I didn't see pics. Is that in the JPop thread? Link?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I didn't see pics. Is that in the JPop thread? Link?

Pics and vids are around. The Zidware website has some of the train wreck.

Start with the bad shooting video -

From the Zidware site. There are a few navigation issues.

Vids

http://www.zidware.com/inventor/magicgirl/videos.html

Pics

http://www.zidware.com/inventor/magicgirl/images.html

#4 1 year ago

that looks incredibly boring from that video.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from dung:

Agreed. And I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard than the noise coming out of the speakers on this clunker.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from dung:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Compared to the newly released Alien gameplay vid it is no contest.

#7 1 year ago

Gameplay looked terrible in that video. The only shots even made were the center spinner and the right scoop. Everything else just clunked around for a minute and a half. You'd think they'd want to film something better than that and at least hit some ramp shots and make it seem playable.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Gameplay looked terrible in that video. The only shots even made were the center spinner and the right scoop. Everything else just clunked around for a minute and a half. You'd think they'd want to film something better than that and at least hit some ramp shots and make it seem playable.

To be fair whomever is playing the game appears to have the pinball skills of a toddler.

Pretty ridiculous to draw any conclusions from that short clip.

#9 1 year ago

Brakage isn't even a word.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Wow, first misspelled word on Pinside. Glad you continue to stalk me to point that out

#11 1 year ago

That guy is a stalker, I can't even get him off my myspace page.

Seriously though where are the unboxing and gameplay videos already?

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

To be fair whomever is playing the game appears to have the pinball skills of a toddler.
Pretty ridiculous to draw any conclusions from that short clip.

Probably JPop... it's his clip. Just like it must be him throwing the ball at the slingshot and watching it machine gun after the ball is long gone.

#13 1 year ago

Wow what a clunker. Maybe worth 1600$ but not 16000$

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

appears to have the pinball

Quoted from Rascal_H:

I believe you are both correct.

#15 1 year ago

What spare parts are people ordering along with MG, and how much are they? Future proofing this machine is going to be an issue.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

What spare parts are people ordering along with MG, and how much are they? Future proofing this machine is going to be an issue.

I don't think you'll have to worry about spare parts as the game supposedly isn't fully functioning. Rumor is that the software and playfield features are in a similar state to what it was when it was shown off at that show last year. That's why the current gameplay video didn't show anything of value. Basically a box of lights that flips.

#17 1 year ago

Anyone pick theres up yet?

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from crlush:

Anyone pick theres up yet?

Rumor is a couple people have.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Rumor is a couple people have.

Cointaker is attempting to get highest bid on FB already. It was linked in the other MG thread.

Sounds like people are scrambling to pick these up as quickly as possible and a few trying to sell them for profit as quickly as possible (before people realize they dont even flip worth crap)

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Manic:

Probably JPop... it's his clip. Just like it must be him throwing the ball at the slingshot and watching it machine gun after the ball is long gone.

Glad you noticed the machine gunning also. The guy finally posts a small number of video clips and this is what he wants to showcase?

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Sounds like people are scrambling to pick these up as quickly as possible and a few trying to sell them for profit as quickly as possible (before people realize they dont even flip worth crap)

we probably wont see any reviews for a while then?

#23 1 year ago

Jack will drive a couple hours to stream one I bet. Let's do a full blown live stream...

#24 1 year ago

Pinball News posted a video. Most of the display is in a rectangle in the center as it is was a DMD?!?! Is this a Last Year video?

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Pinball News posted a video. Most of the display is in a rectangle in the center as it is was a DMD?!?!
» YouTube video

That's an old video (June 6,2015) made before the MG prototype was displayed at the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show in Tacoma, WA.

#27 1 year ago

So there's a spinner and a loop? Great game!

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

That's an old video (June 6,2015) made before the MG prototype was displayed at the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show in Tacoma, WA.

That IS the prototype from the show.

There's been some tweaks to the final game, but knowing the programmer was not involved, nothing serious was changed. That's the game.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I was just updating ,y post to ask if this was a last year video. Thanks, I thought it might be while watching. It had gone up on the Facebook unboxing thread.

I'm sure we will get fresh stuff this weekend.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Pinball News posted a video. Most of the display is in a rectangle in the center as it is was a DMD?!?!
» YouTube video

I can mount my laptop lcd on the playfield and the minion pinball is a big screen lcd dmd all of a sudden..
This is simply what you see on your laptop when the minions pinball is showing it's mpf attract mode.

image (resized).jpg

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

So there's a spinner and a loop? Great game!

That spinner mounted in the ring might look cool. But I cannot imagine this can hold up. It looks to be mounted off a post so snapping down would be possible. But the spinner assembly itself is screwed to ring. The ring itself looks delicate but now with two weak spots created by drilling and using it to suspend an assembly made to get hit is bad. I am not a plastic expert, but the tiny washer on top cannot be enough.

MGring (resized).jpg

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Taxman:

The ring itself looks delicate

According to his website, all the light shields and plastics are made of lexan. I'm not saying that they won't ever break, but lexan is the stuff they use of fighter jet cockpit windows to keep bird strikes at mach speeds from destroying it. I think if the parts on MG are truly made from lexan, then it'll be pretty strong.

#33 1 year ago

I doubt we'll see much video of gameplay. Has anybody even made a ramp shot? Maybe playing with the glass off will be the way to play this pin. This isn't even about that i don't think.

Has Jpop met the minimum requirements to stay out of jail? Deliver some games. And then say, "I'm on to Raza next".

The buyers of this pin and Raza and AIW did so expecting we would have a great new Jpop original from a guy that just wanted "to make great pinball" and "innovate in ways never seen before".

What's left is really none of that. Just the stay out jail effort.

But then people don't really buy BBB because its a great pinball machine. They mostly buy it as a "collector". People are afraid to play because they might put a dimple on it. How many BBB's do you always see for sale, "low plays", "less than 200", etc.?

MG will trade hands between "collectors" for whatever they think its worth. Playing the pin will have little to zero impact on it.

Cointaker is smart to take advantage of selling MG as soon as the box hit their warehouse. The hype will never be greater than it is today.

Once Jpop finally fails with Raza and Aiw and Zidware fades into bankruptcy, time will erode the appeal of the moment.

#34 1 year ago

Satisfying shots count = 0

#35 1 year ago

You posted this in the other thread so I'll repost my comment -

Quoted from iceman44:

... But then people don't really buy BBB because its a great pinball machine. They mostly buy it as a "collector". People are afraid to play because they might put a dimple on it. How many BBB's do you always see for sale, "low plays", "less than 200", etc.?

Actually, there has been a BBB setup to play at Pintastic. Sorry I forgot who brings it, but it gets set to $2/play with money going to charity. I have a Pinball Magic so I know the build quality on Capcom pins is pretty darn good.

#36 1 year ago

Yes...and sadly for pinball collectors who aren't loaded, it makes Stern's pricing structure not seem so bad anymore.

#37 1 year ago

Where's the code?

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from dung:

Says everyone who has ever commented to any preliminary game video on Pinside.

#39 1 year ago

So to avoid legal repercussions, they threw together some machines with decent build quality and very basic code just to get everyone to shut up.

Smart move...

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

So to avoid legal repercussions, they threw together some machines with decent build quality and very basic code just to get everyone to shut up.
Smart move...

That is one school of thought. JPop does not want to end up like Kevin. This shows he has made a real attempt to deliver games to customers. So now if he declares bankruptcy it is just a failed business not a scam to get money with no intention of ever completing.

JPop complained about the tax burden on Nate's C2C show. So if his paperwork is in order and he can prove he pissed everyone's money away noodling around the shop for years he won't go to jail and can walk away from the rest of his obligations.

There also ends any support for the few MG games bound to break. Pretty much everyone loses.

Funny thing is John is delusional enough to think these games are proof of his worth to the pinball community and might actually think it is a come back.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from Taxman:

You posted this in the other thread so I'll repost my comment -

Actually, there has been a BBB setup to play at Pintastic. Sorry I forgot who brings it, but it gets set to $2/play with money going to charity. I have a Pinball Magic so I know the build quality on Capcom pins is pretty darn good.

There a bbb on location in NYC and one in NC, for years. It's a fun enough game.

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Funny thing is John is delusional enough to think these games are proof of his worth to the pinball community and might actually think it is a come back.

I understand that emotions run deep here on Pinside, especially to those with the proverbial skin in the game.

But none of us really know how the game plays yet.

I am sure that there will be more video to come soon. Perhaps a pinball wizard such as Edgy Levi will bless us with his talents, and it will become apparent whether MG is a good game or a box of blinking lights.

I'm allllllmost willing to bet that if the game is even remotely decent, JPOP will be creating more pins. And people will buy them.

#43 1 year ago

Has there been any shots/silverball activity in the back 3rd/top birthday cake-like ramp setup?

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from s1500:

Has there been any shots/silverball activity in the back 3rd/top birthday cake-like ramp setup?

Nope.

But you can buy one from cointaker for $45K and find out for yourself. Tempting!

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from Taxman:

That spinner mounted in the ring might look cool. But I cannot imagine this can hold up. It looks to be mounted off a post so snapping down would be possible. But the spinner assembly itself is screwed to ring. The ring itself looks delicate but now with two weak spots created by drilling and using it to suspend an assembly made to get hit is bad. I am not a plastic expert, but the tiny washer on top cannot be enough.

The main spinner is readily available part..the plastic looks simple enough for someone like Pinbits to make (or better yet Cliffy can make the hoop out of stainless steel). I could be wrong on this but to me the biggest issue is the spinner assy blocking the left ramp. It's making the ramp shot almost impossible. It either needs to be removed altogether or moved to the left.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Pinball News posted a video. Most of the display is in a rectangle in the center as it is was a DMD?!?! Is this a Last Year video?
» YouTube video

Is the playfield art and overlay? In the video near the flippers it appears to flatten out as the ball goes near.

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Is the playfield art and overlay? In the video near the flippers it appears to flatten out as the ball goes near.

That video ended up being from last year. The only "current" stuff is on the Zidware website links.

We only know of a few people that have picked up so far and are hoping for some good video / reviews soon. But all accounts have said it is an unplayable mess. In the past year he has not fixed the shot geometry (because he did artwork and not white-wood) there are still ball hang ups and just generally has not been fixed since Pintasia pulled back the curtain.

Good-bye John. When I play your games I will be glad you don't make money off them anymore. Whatever you have in your pockets from pinball at this moment is the last you will ever get.

#48 1 year ago

Poll question. If you owned one of these would you actually play it? I'd be afraid something would break and/or I would reveal some catastrophic design flaw. To paraphrase Paul Simon 'I know it would never match my sweet imagination, cause everything looks worse in black and white'

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Poll question. If you owned one of these would you actually play it?

Hypothetically, hells yes I would!

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

reveal some catastrophic design flaw

Oh I'm pretty sure all of those are going to come to light pretty quickly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
25,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, VIC
$ 6.00
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 149.00
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Arts Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 1,200.00
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 209.99
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 222.00
Cabinet - Decals
Buthamburg
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside