(Topic ID: 186532)

Magic Girl Article in the WSJ

By Dooskie

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

troweling-concrete (resized).jpg
    IMG_9057 (resized).PNG
    1297676959165_ORIGINAL (resized).jpg
    pinside (resized).jpg
    tron (resized).jpg
    7 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.03.39 (resized).jpg
    6 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.03.18 (resized).jpg
    5 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.03.07 (resized).jpg
    4 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.02.48 (resized).jpg
    3 creenshot 2017-04-15 16.02.34 (resized).jpg
    2 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.02.15 (resized).jpg
    1 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.01.30 (resized).jpg
    crocdundee3 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5967 (resized).PNG
    IMG_2993 (resized).PNG
    There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 7 years ago

Nah I'm not his girlfriend just someone that listens to his podcast that likes pinball and calls it as I see it. Like I said he could have lied and said the games great. Instead he says it on his podcast and in the wsj the many many flaws of the game. I give the K-man credit. I know if I spent 23k on a machine I would try to justify it by tricking everyone including myself that it was the best game ever made.

#52 7 years ago

Hopefully this means Magic Girl is coming to the pinball arcade app!

#53 7 years ago

His nonchalance about taking $16,000 from people (duhh. whoopsies) is ridiculous.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Amazed how butt hurt people get by him. You can't ban him from life. So get over it.

Anyone linking to his crap on Pinside gets a 72 hour ban.

He's banned for life for flaunting his ship in Robin's face.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

I'll give him credit for his response to the article.
    The article itself is an insult to those caught up in this mess. But that's just my opinion from the outside looking in.

The whole article was written and submitted by him, then a jr. staff reporter put their name on it.

No WSJ reporter came to his apartment to interview him and see "how he turned the whole thing into an arcade".

No WSJ reporter would have any knowledge about a nonworking pinball machine or it's designer who has not done crap in 20 some years.

Some people are so gullible.

#56 7 years ago

Vid, here's the thing. "Some people" aren't all on Pinside.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Vid, here's the thing. "Some people" aren't all on Pinside.

True.

Whenever I want to be completely inclusive, I use the phrase "all people"

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The whole article was written and submitted by him, then a jr. staff reporter put their name on it.

Unfortunately that is not true, which makes it even worse. WSJ should be embarrassed by a story that is full of inaccuracies, incomplete, misleading and unbalanced. Not saying that K did not have influence on the story. Look at the photo at the top of the article, and the photo credit on it. Shows the writer did talk with jpop, and obviously drank the kook-aid.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The whole article was written and submitted by him.

That makes zero sense, if he wrote it in the first place, he never would have put the comment in with the corrections.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No WSJ reporter came to his apartment to interview him and see "how he turned the whole thing into an arcade".
    No WSJ reporter would have any knowledge about a nonworking pinball machine or it's designer who has not done crap in 20 some years.

I guess you didn't catch the Popular Science article that just came out as well, eh? This guy is his own PR firm, and I'll bet that's why he bought the machine in the first place. I'm not linking it because I don't want to incur your wrath...or a 72-hour ban.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Unfortunately that is not true, which makes it even worse. WSJ should be embarrassed by a story that is full of inaccuracies, incomplete, misleading and unbalanced. Not saying that K did not have influence on the story. Look at the photo at the top of the article, and the photo credit on it. Shows the writer did talk with jpop, and obviously drank the kook-aid.

People who do media promotions will send a press release that is a completely written article. This a a well known practice.

Jr. staff writers take these "pre-written" stories, edit them for length, possibly add a little material to match the intended audience, and send it to the editor.

http://blog.isebox.com/the-well-written-press-release-7-write-the-article-for-them

About a month before Tron Legacy movie came out, just about every newspaper in the country wrote a story about it. "Somehow" they all included a paragraph that the original Tron VHS tape was fetching "hundreds of dollars" on the used market.

This paragraph made no sense at all, because any writer could check ebay and see that those tapes were selling for about $3.

But every newspaper printed that same uncredited paragraph, taken directly from the press release; because it seemed like an interesting "fact".

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

That makes zero sense, if he wrote it in the first place, he never would have put the comment in with the corrections.

Of course he would.

That makes him look good.

I take it you were never a member of your college chess club?

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Jr. staff writers take these "pre-written" stories, edit them for length, possibly add a little material to match the intended target, and send it to the editor.

Clearly he met with and talked with jpop, so it was not just a take something handed to him and edit it for length. I understand what you are saying is common practice, just seems it was a little bit more than that here. Clearly not investigative journalism and clearly little effort was put into it, so, yes, he certainly may have been fed most of it, but he did take the time to meet with jpop.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Of course he would.
    That makes him look good.
    I take it you were never a member of your college chess club?

Gotta agree with Vid on this one. That article came from somewhere else. WSJ is very well known for taking press releases and stories from other rags around the globe, then butchering them and publishing. I was involved in more than one case that made the WSJ in one fashion or another, in each case, I could track the story back to it's origination because the very same misquotes and mistakes were in each version. They have very few actual reporters......most everything they publish is a regurgitation of work from someone else. One thing reporters are good at is NOT telling an accurate story. During my days in law enforcement and fire service, I have been mis-quoted and misrepresented more times than you can imagine. I can count on one hand the number of times a story was original, well written, and correct from start to finish....and mostly that was because I wrote it for them. If the public only knew how many time they get things twisted and wrong, they would be shocked.

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Clearly he met with and talked with jpop, so it was not just a take something handed to him and edit it for length. I understand what you are saying is common practice, just seems it was a little bit more than that here. Clearly not investigative journalism and clearly little effort was put into it, so, yes, he certainly may have been fed most of it, but he did take the time to meet with jpop.

You can dissect it all you want, but the whole she-bang is just shameless self promotion of one person.

Nobody at the WSJ had any prior knowledge of a pinball designer who had not done squat in decades, or a person who owns a single pinball machine.

Same exact thing with the Popular Science article.

http://www.popsci.com/curious-story-magic-girl-would-be-greatest-pinball-machine-all-time

-

I swear that if I ever retire, I'm going to teach a college level course in critical thinking: Gullible 101

#66 7 years ago

LOL at all the conspiracy here. Vid going off the rails again.

FWIW, the subject came out in a podcast a while ago and mentioned that the popsci article came from him as the lead, but the WSJ one didn't. Doubt that will stop the conspiracies though. Lots of cray cray on Pinside too and around here.

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

FWIW, the subject came out in a podcast a while ago and mentioned that the popsci article came from him as the lead, but the WSJ didn't. Doubt that will stop the conspiracies though. Lots of cray cray on Pinside and around here too.

Doesn't change the fact he is an attention-seeking douchebag.

#68 7 years ago

Attention Pinsiders:

$500 and all profits go to Robin to weed out the sockpuppets

tron (resized).jpgtron (resized).jpg

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Anyone linking to his crap on Pinside gets a 72 hour ban.

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Doesn't change the fact he is an attention-seeking douchebag.

LOL. Nothing new. And it's hypocritical as half of pinside.... where you have serial posters, reviewers, line-jumpers, narcissists and drama queens, he's just better at doing it outside of a forum.

pinside (resized).jpgpinside (resized).jpg

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

LOL. And it's hypocritical as half of pinside.... where you have serial posters, reviewers, line-jumpers, narcissists and drama queens, he's just better at doing it outside of a forum.

No, he is just better doing other douchebag type things that don't involve pinball, like maybe playing in traffic. (And if you ask me, he does look a lot like woody)

#72 7 years ago

I must be out of the loop.
    Who is Chris (K MAN)?
    Kaneda?

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Who is Chris (K MAN)?
    Kaneda?

Ignorance is bliss.

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

FWIW, the subject came out in a podcast a while ago and mentioned that the popsci article came from him as the lead, but the WSJ didn't. Doubt that will stop the conspiracies though. Lots of cray cray on Pinside and around here too.

Yep. Some people have such disdain that it clouds common sense. Not to say K isn't an asshole and a narcissist though.

#75 7 years ago

This story is great. It brings attention to pinball. The WSJ didn't write this article so that you (collective unhappy Pinside readers) get some feeling of retribution against Jpop. The article was accurate in it's portrayal for Jpop being a failure and having a tarnished reputation. The article was about the hype around an almost mythical pinball machine. Most people don't even know that new machines are still being made. For their audience, it was well written.

Maybe the WSJ could have interviewed each and everyone of you who didn't buy the game to get your personal grievances listed on the front of a WSJ article.

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Who is Chris (K MAN)?
    Kaneda?

I wasn't around for his bad behavior on this forum so I can't speak to that period. What I've found is that his podcast is extremely entertaining and informative. He apologizes frequently on his podcast for his previous bad behavior. He is relevant in this thread since he has a Magic Girl and was subject in the WSJ article. Whether you like or hate him he is a relevant voice in pinball.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from konjurer:

Whether you like or hate him he is a relevant voice in pinball.

In all seriousness, I only love him for his tenacity in being a pox on the pinball community.

He knows absolutely nothing about pinball.

You guys are going to laugh hard when you see the upcoming article in USA Today.

#78 7 years ago

People complain, yet still keep talking about him.
    Anyway, the interview and photo session were real. Chris sent me behind the scenes pictures as it was being done. No conspiracy here...

#79 7 years ago

Guys, guys, come on. It's just a ding to his reputation. No big deal, sh*t will buff out.

1297676959165_ORIGINAL (resized).jpg1297676959165_ORIGINAL (resized).jpg

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Anyway, the interview and photo session were real. Chris sent me behind the scenes pictures as it was being done. No conspiracy here...

I don't think anyone is saying that the pictures are fake, or that there is a conspiracy.

A conspiracy would be a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful.

Of course, suspicious people would immediately take issue in anyone having direct contact with him & defending him

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

In all seriousness, I only love him for his tenacity in being a pox on the pinball community.
    He knows absolutely nothing about pinball.
    You guys are going to laugh hard when you see the upcoming article in USA Today.

You're kinda cranky, aren't you?

#82 7 years ago

Well I'll say this much, I never heard of the Magic Girl pin until that article. By chance it came up on my google news feed the other day, that's the only reason I now know of this game.

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The whole article was written and submitted by him

That's a bold statement.

Other pinsiders were also quoted in the article, and they would certainly know if they spoke to anyone for the story, and to whom they spoke.

#84 7 years ago

Some may not realize, he pulled a lot of the same nonsense on KLOV and was permabanned from there..

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

People complain, yet still keep talking about him.

No one said conspiracy...Total Absolute Bullshit...yes, but conspiracy no. This guy is so insecure and shallow he will stop at nothing to keep himself in the lime light. I have dealt with his kind many times....just like a little kid jumping up in your face, trying to get your attention. Even the negative attention to him is better than no attention at all, and the best thing we could all do is to forget he even exists.

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Even the negative attention to him is better than no attention at all, and the best thing we could all do is to forget he even exists.

Lord knows I've been trying. I was doing okay for the four months I was away from Pinside...

#87 7 years ago

Everybody tries....but nobody can seem to do it...

#88 7 years ago

PezPunk giving the ol' downvote button a good workout.

Vid, calm down dude. The more you keep bumping this thread, the more people will see it.

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

No one said conspiracy...Total Absolute Bullshit...yes, but conspiracy no. This guy is so insecure and shallow he will stop at nothing to keep himself in the lime light. I have dealt with his kind many times....just like a little kid jumping up in your face, trying to get your attention. Even the negative attention to him is better than no attention at all, and the best thing we could all do is to forget he even exists.

My apologies, kind sir, but you're kind of giving the dude attention.

#90 7 years ago

WSJ is a joke anyways. Kaneda always finding new and creative ways to remind people of his presence. I love it!

#91 7 years ago

It's really amazing how he upset so many people. The guys been banned for a year now and he's still getting guys all riled up. me personally if someone bothers me that much I just ignore them. Pinside has an ignore function. You don't have to listen to his podcast or read any articles that he has any part of. But if bashing him is your thing more power to you. I just don't understand it.

#92 7 years ago

It's not hard to understand, @phillymadison. Very few Pinsiders are able to formulate their own opinions, so they just follow the lead of whoever is telling the loudest in the echo chamber.

I used to hate the guy too and then I realized how ridiculous it all is. I'm sad he shelved our podcast episode, but c'est la vie.

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I don't think anyone is saying that the pictures are fake, or that there is a conspiracy. A conspiracy would be a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful.

Talk about mental gymnastics now. LOL, a conspiracy doesn't have to be unlawful. And look at what you literally posted.

Quoted from vid1900:

You ignore multiple lines of evidence and jump in with some wild negative accusations, and finish it off with an ad hominem attack for any dissenters. Yes, actually this is an example that works quite well with the definition of conspiracy theory. And you previously highlighting "critical thinking" is icing on the hypocrite cake . Weird that you do that here, as normally you make a lot of sense. Instead of "making shit up", try to act reasonable; anyone should be able to easily justify whatever position they have on someone without resorting to that. C'mon, we all know that you are better than that too.

#95 7 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Well I'll say this much, I never heard of the Magic Girl pin until that article. By chance it came up on my google news feed the other day, that's the only reason I now know of this game.

How long have you been in the hobby? I'm surprised you haven't fallen into the Magic Girl vortex just by accident. Lot of threads on Pinside about the whole debacle and Jpop's continuing scam.

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

It's really amazing how he upset so many people.

No one is upset.

Everyone is having a good time.

When you see the USA Today, there will be renewed laughter.

"I write the same old song with a few new lines, and everybody wants to cheer it.........."

#97 7 years ago

Nobody is upset, but they sure as heck are downvoting.

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

My apologies, kind sir, but you're kind of giving the dude attention.

Yes I was...I even mentioned him by name (Douchebag). I made the statement as the best thing we could do, knowing full well that won't happen...not on Pinside.

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No one is upset.
    Everyone is having a good time.
    When you see the USA Today, there will be renewed laughter.
    "I write the same old song with a few new lines, and everybody wants to cheer it.........."

Fair enough my misunderstanding. Text makes what people say sound different than what they mean sometimes. In the end it's only pinball people really can't get THAT upset.

Quoted from Cornelius:

Nobody is upset, but they sure as heck are downvoting.

Tell me about it Pez is literally camping this thread to downvote lol

Case in point
    IMG_9057 (resized).PNGIMG_9057 (resized).PNG

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

Tell me about it Pez is literally camping this thread to downvote lol

He's Doing other stuff too, be careful.

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magic-girl-article-in-the-wsj/page/2?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.