(Topic ID: 186532)

Magic Girl Article in the WSJ

By Dooskie

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

troweling-concrete (resized).jpg
    IMG_9057 (resized).PNG
    1297676959165_ORIGINAL (resized).jpg
    pinside (resized).jpg
    tron (resized).jpg
    7 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.03.39 (resized).jpg
    6 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.03.18 (resized).jpg
    5 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.03.07 (resized).jpg
    4 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.02.48 (resized).jpg
    3 creenshot 2017-04-15 16.02.34 (resized).jpg
    2 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.02.15 (resized).jpg
    1 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.01.30 (resized).jpg
    crocdundee3 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5967 (resized).PNG
    IMG_2993 (resized).PNG
    There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #2 7 years ago

Thanks, but you need a subscription to read it.

#3 7 years ago

Strange how the non-clickbait link works:

https://t.co/wudrQwK3R6

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Olddragon:

Thanks, but you need a subscription to read it.

I just pulled the link off of FB, and don't have a subscription to Wally's. Came through for me.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

I just pulled the link off of FB, and don't have a subscription to Wally's. Came through for me.

Sometimes the link only works on phones and desktops hit a paywall.

I tried the other link and it works on both (for now), lol

#6 7 years ago

Wow the art on that machine is incredible!

#7 7 years ago

$40k for a Magic Girl.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

https://t.co/wudrQwK3R6

Thanks!

#9 7 years ago

"Creative strategist"

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Thanks for posting this link Vid! Interesting to say the least...

#11 7 years ago

Man, that's a very poorly written article.

I was looking for the rest of it.

What's the point of it? A guy made a pinball machine and delivered it? That's how it reads.

We Pinsiders know the story .. but read the article from a laypersons view, and it doesn't have any depth or facts of any note at all.

Newspaper journalism has got really bad these days. I guess because there isn't the money in newspapers that there're used to be. All the good journalists have retired and been replaced with kids straight out of school who's idea of "thorough research" consists of logging onto Facebook and quoting peoples posts.

Sad state of affairs.

rd

#12 7 years ago

check out the article comments - oof

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

check out the article comments - oof

Exactly. Read this one:

Joe Bailey
    Joe Bailey7 hours ago
    This is something else. Its what makes great companies. Someone with a real passion for making something as good as it can be. It's not about the money but rather about the product. You gotta love it.

The article is so poorly written, the dude thinks JPOP did a great job.

Shame. (Ding. Ding.)

rd

#14 7 years ago

I guess jpop hasn't burned through the last of the cash just yet. How much does a wsj.com subscription run these days?

"W Zhang

He should have set the price about 10 times higher, and promised that he will only make a fixed number of models.

That man is a national treasure. He needs a proper agent to negotiate deals on his behalf and be left alone to invent new pinball machines. Yes the agent will take a cut of the profits and be expensive. But letting him out in the business world to fend for himself alone is even more expensive."

#15 7 years ago

JPOP > Any other pinball news this week = Winnning!

#16 7 years ago

Kaneda is an attention seeking (fill in the blank).

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Man, that's a very poorly written article.
    I was looking for the rest of it.
    What's the point of it? A guy made a pinball machine and delivered it? That's how it reads.
    We Pinsiders know the story .. but read the article from a laypersons view, and it doesn't have any depth or facts of any note at all.
    Newspaper journalism has got really bad these days. I guess because there isn't the money in newspapers that there're used to be. All the good journalists have retired and been replaced with kids straight out of school who's idea of "thorough research" consists of logging onto Facebook and quoting peoples posts.
    Sad state of affairs.
    rd

It just there. Like pictures of of BBQ and wives with their legs in the air.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

It just there. Like pictures of of BBQ and wives with their legs in the air.

My Pinside posts are written better than that article.

And that's not saying much.

rd

#19 7 years ago

I think a certain MG owner is trying to hype it to get its value up.
    And I agree, it's like a 9th grader wrote this article for English class.

"He thinks Magic Girl's faults can be solved through groupthink."

Someone tell this Patrick McGroarty to google 1984 and the definition of groupthink.

Then again, maybe groupthink is the solution here.

#20 7 years ago

Here is the real story.
    Banned dickweed getting more attention and trying to promote a POS pin not worth more than scrap. It will never be a Grail pin. The designer still thinking his reputation is only dinged just shows how far from reality he is. I feel until his business doors are closed for good he is still a dangerous pyramid scheme artist that is only good with wasting your time and money.

That other article was crap.

#21 7 years ago

Yeah the journalist and most of the posters are clueless
    I tried to correct all that in my comments at the bottom of the article
    If anyone else has a subscription to the wsj and been personally effected by Jpops big adventure
    Contact the journalist and share your story... maybe they'll amend that puff piece

#22 7 years ago

He's got big balls

IMG_2993 (resized).PNGIMG_2993 (resized).PNG

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Yeah the journalist and most of the posters are clueless
    I tried to correct all that in my comments at the bottom of the article
    If anyone else has a subscription to the wsj and been personally effected by Jpops big adventure
    Contact the journalist and share your story... maybe they'll amend that puff piece

I had a fleeting urge to subscribe just to comment on that article and reply to other commentators. But, then I said, f--- it, it's not worth the effort.

#24 7 years ago

I'd love to buy a magic girl and blow it up with nuclear weapons.

#25 7 years ago

I downloaded the WSJ app and subscribed to read the article, what a waste. Didn't know it was going to be about Magic Girl and all the BS. Just saw the headline "Pinball Craftsman Hits Bumpers Building a Sought-After Machine". Once the app downloaded the BS was revealed.

IMG_5967 (resized).PNGIMG_5967 (resized).PNG

#26 7 years ago

Hindsight he should have charged $50k each and cut out the flippers.

If Stern is getting $15k for a basic pin with ordinary cabinet and ordinary backbox hinges and ordinary leg bolts and regulation glass. A true custom pin is worth way more.

#27 7 years ago

Is the game lots of fun to play? It looks nice!!

#28 7 years ago

It's a beautiful game, but how many people have even played it?

Is there enough code to call it a game?

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

Half of the playfield doesn't work as intended but the game does flip. All of the clear plastic blocking the display screen is useless and unusable, for example.

#30 7 years ago

Chris Kooluris turned his New York City apartment into an arcade.

An arcade with 2 games in it ???

crocdundee3 (resized).jpgcrocdundee3 (resized).jpg

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

No, it plays like shit.

#32 7 years ago

The "Mona Lisa" of pinball-- seriously?!? "Elusive" and "sought after" .. geesh give me a break

#33 7 years ago

Kaneda still owning the minds of Pinsiders from afar.

#34 7 years ago

The fact that any article about pinball made the front page of the WSJ still says a lot about its come back.

Most of the readers are probably well off 40-60 year old men who grew up with pinball and didn't know it was still around.

#35 7 years ago

For any of you who couldn't log into the article…here it is and Chris response….

1 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.01.30 (resized).jpg1 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.01.30 (resized).jpg

2 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.02.15 (resized).jpg2 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.02.15 (resized).jpg

3 creenshot 2017-04-15 16.02.34 (resized).jpg3 creenshot 2017-04-15 16.02.34 (resized).jpg

4 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.02.48 (resized).jpg4 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.02.48 (resized).jpg

5 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.03.07 (resized).jpg5 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.03.07 (resized).jpg

6 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.03.18 (resized).jpg6 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.03.18 (resized).jpg

7 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.03.39 (resized).jpg7 Screenshot 2017-04-15 16.03.39 (resized).jpg

#36 7 years ago

It's part of our history as a community. It's a beautiful game that hurt so many and destroyed the career of a once great designer.

It's sad most of all.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

For any of you who couldn't log into the article…here it is and Chris response….

Big fan of the K-man. His honesty truly is painful sometimes. He could have totally said MG is this totally rare awesome fun pin that only he and 24 other people own. Instead he mentions it's pitfalls and try's to clarify it.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

His honesty truly is painful sometimes.

His self-promotion is truly painful, always.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Kaneda still owning the minds of Pinsiders from afar.

Who?

#40 7 years ago

I hope it'll be possible to buy that back glass or play field separately, I'd love to hang those up as wall art.

#41 7 years ago

I agree on the backglass and playfield. Very nice art. I'd like to have either on the wall or both.

#42 7 years ago

I can't hear you in this echo chamber.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I can't hear you in this echo chamber.

It's not an echo chamber. It's just the sound of your own voice going on and on and on and on....

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

His self-promotion is truly painful, always.

Amazed how butt hurt people get by him. You can't ban him from life. So get over it.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Amazed how butt hurt people get by him. You can't ban him from life. So get over it.

Where's the Dirty Sanchez emoji when you need it?

#46 7 years ago

Yep - total fluff piece... Chris was dead on - K-MAN rocks....

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

Big fan of the K-man. His honesty truly is painful sometimes. He could have totally said MG is this totally rare awesome fun pin that only he and 24 other people own. Instead he mentions it's pitfalls and try's to clarify it.

Hi, Brenda!

#48 7 years ago

the hobbys mona lisa

#49 7 years ago

I'll give him credit for his response to the article.

The article itself is an insult to those caught up in this mess. But that's just my opinion from the outside looking in.

#50 7 years ago

I get all my investment advice from The Wall Street Journal.

If only they had done this article five years ago.

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magic-girl-article-in-the-wsj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.