8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Mahoyvan
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015-11-27_10.02.37.jpg
    IMG_5943.jpg
    IMG_5942.jpg
    IMG_5944.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

So how does everyone go about using their Magic Erasers on OLD playfields?

Do you spray your 99% alc directly on the PF then swirl?
    Do you pour some on your pad then swirl?
    Do you even swirl or do you back n forth? With the grain or against?
    How much pressure do you use? Light pressure seems to do nothing, more pressure make the pad crumble.
    Do you rinse/wash the pad when it gets dirty?

I'm new to Magic Eraser but I think my main problem is that I Absolutely Hate the feel of it. It feels like those horrible shitty towels you get at cheap hotels. I'm trying to be patient but the dry squeaky feel of it makes me want to barf!

Here are my results on the left side. Pretty clean but the wood that was under the triangular post now feels raw compared to the dirty one on the right. It also looks like the blue paint was leached and smeared?
    IMG_5944.JPGIMG_5944.JPG
    The same amount of time and pressure went into this section of a pop bumper.
    Has 66 years of dirt fused with the paint and I should say Fk it?
    IMG_5942.JPGIMG_5942.JPG
    What's your technique for tackling dirt within the grain?

IMG_5943.jpgIMG_5943.jpg

#3 8 years ago

I dip it in to alcohol then squeeze it out. Swirl is best for me. Still want to keep the eraser pretty dry, and wipe up any puddles with a clean towel.

#4 8 years ago
    #5 8 years ago

Dangerous using it on that playfield

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Dangerous using it on that playfield

So Fk it, play ball?

#7 8 years ago

Here's some good reading that Mark Clayton from Pinball Pal had written up>>> http://arcadearchive.com/pinball/magic/magic.htm

#8 8 years ago

Dangerous also using around the flipper buttons on some games. Can turn a HUO only into a routed game. Doh!

2015-11-27 10.02.37.jpg2015-11-27 10.02.37.jpg

#9 8 years ago

I would never use a magic eraser on decaled artwork. if you can't clean it up with a little soap and water and a sponge, it's either best left alone or time to consider new decals or manually touching it up.

a magic eraser is just going to eat through the artwork (as shown above)

ps
    magic erasers work wondering on clear and solid colored plastic. we completely cleaned a cyclone ferris wheel assembly with one. it looked like brand new when we were done.

#10 8 years ago

Thanks for the advice and links. I'm thinkin' I'll give her a light once over and leave well enough alone!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magic-erasing-for-dummies and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.