11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by myork82
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images.jpg
    photo_3.JPG
    photo_2.JPG
    photo_1.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

I picked up a T2 yesterday that is in need of attention. Mainly just a good cleaning!! That's part of the fun of the hobby right? Anyways I tore the playfield down and decided to address this spot on the cab that was bugging the crap out of me. Looks like somebody decided it would be a good idea to put a sticker on the side of the head at one point. Then when whoever took it off it left a big nice sticky spot on the cab that was never cleaned, and it looks like it soaked up 15 years of cigarette smoke! I've been hearing about this Magic Eraser thing so I decided what the heck. The sticker looks like crap so I can't make it look any worse. Here are the results!

In the first pic I had already started rubbing on the top spot with the Magic Eraser and 91% alcohol.

photo_1.JPGphoto_1.JPG
    This is after I got all the old sticker up. Just take your time and wipe the area off from time to time. This is the residue the eraser will leave once the alcohol dries up. We'll get this cleaned up with a treasure cove kit. Novus might work also, but you will be rubbing awhile!!! I used the black pad and the #1 compound from treasure cove. Don't press hard! Just let the pad and the compound do the work. Start with a slow speed and work your way up to high speed to make it really shine.
    photo_2.JPGphoto_2.JPG
    This is after buffing it out with the #1 compound
    photo_3.JPGphoto_3.JPG

#2 11 years ago

looks like new, nice job

#3 11 years ago

Looks great. I'm really surprise that the magic eraser didn't damage the art. Next thing I would do is clear coat the side art to lock it in and preserve it.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

Looks great. I'm really surprise that the magic eraser didn't damage the art. Next thing I would do is clear coat the side art to lock it in and preserve it.

I'm sure if I rubbed long enough it would. I would not attempt this without a machine buffing system like the Treasure Cove kit. I tried to buff the residue out with Novus 2 by hand first and didn't get very far.

Now I just have to do the rest of the cab!

#5 11 years ago

Looks nice!

For sticker residue like that I use a product called De-solv-it. It's not abrasive like ME so polishing afterward isn't necessary.

images.jpgimages.jpg

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from rplante:

Looks nice!
    For sticker residue like that I use a product called De-solv-it. It's not abrasive like ME so polishing afterward isn't necessary.

Ill have to look into that in the future. This wasn't sticky really because it was so old.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magic-eraser-treasure-cove-success-story and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.