(Topic ID: 61847)

Magic eraser. Is a clear job needed after?

By mandrick

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by blownfuse
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I have been reading about the magic eraser and the success it has removing swirl marks. My question is, can this technique be used as a one time thing during a regular cleaning on a non cleared playfield (followed by a wax), or should it only be done if you plan on touching up and clearing after the job?

#2 10 years ago

IMO - The first one. It's just a deep cleaning. Not necessary to clear at all.

#3 10 years ago

if that's all your doing cleaning the playfield, maybe you should try novus first.
    magic eraser does remove the shine, a wax and if you can buff the pf is even better, it should come back.

#4 10 years ago

Any suggestions on how to buff back the shine once Magic Eraser has scratched it away?

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

if that's all your doing cleaning the playfield, maybe you should try novus first.
    magic eraser does remove the shine, a wax and if you can buff the pf is even better, it should come back.

Novus isn't doing anything for any of the swirl marks, so I was thinking maybe something more aggressive.

#6 10 years ago

No need to clear coat. Use the magic eraser, test it somewhere first like under a plastic, it will leave a white film on the PF, then use Novus 2 to clean that up, do it in small sections. Then a couple of coats of wax, not a wax with cleaner in it, just a high grade automotive wax.

#7 10 years ago

Magic eraser is a fine grit sandpaper. It will sand off the top layer of a playfield depending upon how much rubbing you do... which is why it is successful removing swirl marks. IMO it should not be used in regular cleanings.

#8 10 years ago

If you do use a magic eraser, I believe that you should use 91% isopropyl alcohol and not water on the eraser pad. Water is bad on a playfield.

I used magic eraser once and now use novus products on my playfields.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from TVP:

If you do use a magic eraser, I believe that you should use 91% isopropyl alcohol and not water on the eraser pad. Water is bad on a playfield.

Yes, using rubbing alcohol like TVP suggested not water, once you remove the ball swirls and clean it the first time you should be good for years after.

#10 10 years ago

Always try Novus 2 before resorting to ME. If you do use ME, go very slowly.

#11 10 years ago

I agree, there is no real way to remove the dirt from out of the cracks in a clear coat without removing clear coat too. What the eraser does is to sand it's way down through the crack and you stop when the dirt goes away. This exposes the screen art. Keep in mind that screen inks are a little different than clear coats, they are softer, you need to protect the screen work from any ball wear. The reason for clear is that it does this. If it was the other way around and the ink was harder, you would clear the plywood to seal it and then screen it.

I've read about people that have kept going with the eraser and they've removed artwork too, there were posts about this on RGP when ME's first started being used. This shouldn't happen if all the eraser did was remove dirt.

Steve

Quoted from Baiter:

Magic eraser is a fine grit sandpaper. It will sand off the top layer of a playfield depending upon how much rubbing you do... which is why it is successful removing swirl marks. IMO it should not be used in regular cleanings.

#12 10 years ago

Novus and ME both have grit in them, this sands away at the clear coat. ME is definitely more aggressive.

Steve

Quoted from mandrick:

Novus isn't doing anything for any of the swirl marks, so I was thinking maybe something more aggressive.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magic-eraser-is-a-clear-job-needed-after and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.