4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hi Guys,

When cleaning an old PF using Magic Eraser, what strength rubbing alcohol do you use with it? 91% or 70%? Do you cut the alcohol with anything? And do you wipe off after cleaning an area?

I am aware that you need to be very aware of not over working an area or applying too much pressure, as to not take paint off.

Just looking for updated opinions on this method.

Thanks so much, guys!

Sincerely,

Tim

#2 4 years ago

I haven't used this method in a while, simply because doing so removes the protective clearcoat from the playfield (or what's left of it anyway), but when I did use it, I used denatured alcohol, or 91%--but only if denatured wasn't available. School of thought is that you want to use an alcohol that has the least amount of water content as to not raise the woodgrain of the playfield.

#4 4 years ago

91%. Be patient...too much pressure and you will start taking off the paint. Since this dissolves the clear coat, you are going to get some haziness but you can follow up right after with a clean rag with a little alcohol or naphtha on it. Just remember you are basically taking off the top coat so just keep it waxed afterwards as you have less protection in that spot.

#5 4 years ago

I use novus 2 to get the haze off

#6 4 years ago

I've ordered a playfield protector from Sebastian, in Germany, to put on when I'm done. So I won't be putting anymore wear on the surface afterwards.

#7 4 years ago

Ive used both 70 or 90 alcohol straigtht with it, I assume technically the higher percent the better, but in actual practice whom knows.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from BallyTim:

I've ordered a playfield protector from Sebastian, in Germany, to put on when I'm done. So I won't be putting anymore wear on the surface afterwards.

Coil dust will work itself under the protector and the ball will slowly grind the dust into the playfield. Plus protectors play differently than playing on a playfield.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Coil dust will work itself under the protector and the ball will slowly grind the dust into the playfield. Plus protectors play differently than playing on a playfield.

So if you dont use a protector the coil dust stays on the playfield and the ball rolls all over it grinding it into the playfield?

Is that what you are saying?

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Just remember you are basically taking off the top coat so just keep it waxed afterwards as you have less protection in that spot.

Wax alone won't be enough. Naked paint wears very quickly, wax or not.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magic-eraser-and-alcohol and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.