3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 months ago

Hi Guys,

When cleaning an old PF using Magic Eraser, what strength rubbing alcohol do you use with it? 91% or 70%? Do you cut the alcohol with anything? And do you wipe off after cleaning an area?

I am aware that you need to be very aware of not over working an area or applying too much pressure, as to not take paint off.

Just looking for updated opinions on this method.

Thanks so much, guys!

Sincerely,

Tim

#2 3 months ago

I haven't used this method in a while, simply because doing so removes the protective clearcoat from the playfield (or what's left of it anyway), but when I did use it, I used denatured alcohol, or 91%--but only if denatured wasn't available. School of thought is that you want to use an alcohol that has the least amount of water content as to not raise the woodgrain of the playfield.

#4 3 months ago

91%. Be patient...too much pressure and you will start taking off the paint. Since this dissolves the clear coat, you are going to get some haziness but you can follow up right after with a clean rag with a little alcohol or naphtha on it. Just remember you are basically taking off the top coat so just keep it waxed afterwards as you have less protection in that spot.

#5 3 months ago

I use novus 2 to get the haze off

#6 3 months ago

I've ordered a playfield protector from Sebastian, in Germany, to put on when I'm done. So I won't be putting anymore wear on the surface afterwards.

#7 3 months ago

Ive used both 70 or 90 alcohol straigtht with it, I assume technically the higher percent the better, but in actual practice whom knows.

#8 3 months ago
    Quoted from BallyTim:

I've ordered a playfield protector from Sebastian, in Germany, to put on when I'm done. So I won't be putting anymore wear on the surface afterwards.

Coil dust will work itself under the protector and the ball will slowly grind the dust into the playfield. Plus protectors play differently than playing on a playfield.

#9 3 months ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Coil dust will work itself under the protector and the ball will slowly grind the dust into the playfield. Plus protectors play differently than playing on a playfield.

So if you dont use a protector the coil dust stays on the playfield and the ball rolls all over it grinding it into the playfield?

Is that what you are saying?

#10 3 months ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Just remember you are basically taking off the top coat so just keep it waxed afterwards as you have less protection in that spot.

Wax alone won't be enough. Naked paint wears very quickly, wax or not.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 12.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 208.87
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 142.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 25.99
    Playfield - Other
    Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside