Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mcsch (resized).jpg
target relay (resized).PNG
Motor Run (resized).PNG
Magic city (resized).PNG
Armature in (resized).png
Armature out (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kent_diego.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 2 years ago

90% of time it is the score reels doing this. Take each reel out and clean contacts on the zero switches. Sometimes just pressing on switches at reel will stop the score motor.
I had an old Williams where the score motor armature was stuck causing the motor to overrun the home position. Now I always put a drop of oil on SM armature when I get an new machine. Putting strip of paper in Motor Run, contact top of index stack will verify.
Here is picture:
Armature in (resized).pngArmature in (resized).pngArmature out (resized).pngArmature out (resized).png

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from BurtronRaoolala:

The armature is not stuck and is operating correctly.
I’m confused about your comment regarding the score reels. When the reel is zero, all the switches are open. My documentation shows that all switches are supposed to be open when reels are on zero. Is this incorrect? Do different years operate differently? Btw, all the score reel switches are clean. I guess I could close all the zero switches and see if the motor stops. If this is the fix I’m going to feel pretty dumb. But happy!
Thanks for your suggestions.

You are right about the reel switched. Guess I got confused. I am looking at the Magic City schematic and there are not too many things that power the score motor. Need to see which one is the one powering the motor. Follow the O-G (orange-green) wires and isolate with paper.
Magic city (resized).PNGMagic city (resized).PNG

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from BurtronRaoolala:

Ok, cool. I think the zero switches on the score reels do close on a multi player game but not the single players. I also have a Williams Touchdown (about same era as Magic City) and it opens all zero switches on zero as well.
Yes, per the schematic, I believe it only shows 4 possible circuits that power the motor. I have located each switch and did the cardboard thing and the motor still runs. I MUST be missing something and/ or the schematic is not showing me everything. I also checked each switch on each relay involved in the circuit to see if any wire or wire stubs were touching but everything looks very good. I don’t know, I might be chasing my tail here….again!

There are 6 paths for power. Do not discount the coin relays. Look at Target, Outhole and Reset relays and make sure they are not energized. Paper in Motor Run? See if unplugging the coin door connector stops the score motor. Often people hacking in free play do bad things.
Motor Run (resized).PNGMotor Run (resized).PNGtarget relay (resized).PNGtarget relay (resized).PNG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kent_diego.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magic-city-with-strange-magic?tu=kent_diego and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.