Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170105_022931 (resized).jpg
    20170104_161654 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

All,

I just stumbled upon the Magfest expo/show website. How many of you have attended this event and what is your feedback? I would mainly be going for the pinball experience first, and then some arcade action secondary.

Do they sell games here?

How many pinballs do they typically have?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

#2 7 years ago

Looks like it's video games, I'm out.

#3 7 years ago

There's a big pinball PAPA circuit tournament. There are probably 40 or so pinball machines on free play and plenty of vids. They do not sell or trade pinball machines. Thousands of young people - many half naked - indulging in cosplay.

1 week later
    #4 7 years ago

CrazyLevi,

Rumor has it you won the pinball tournament at Magfest? How many people played in the tournament and what were the entry fees and prizes?

Anyone else from Pinside planning on attending?

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

CrazyLevi,
    Rumor has it you won the pinball tournament at Magfest? How many people played in the tournament and what were the entry fees and prizes?
    Anyone else from Pinside planning on attending?

There is no fee to join the tournament (beyond $70 weekend event fee). As such, there's also shit for prizes as far as money but I did win a cool trophy and $150 in "Magfest dollars," and a nice haul of wpprs! I also won the respect, admiration, and fear of my pinball peers, which of course you cannot put a price on. GThere were maybe 100 entrants? I expect it will be bigger this time around. I'll be there! Can't say about pinside attendees as most my pinball friends aren't on Here.

It's a shitload of pinball with qualifying running till 4 am and the finals wrapping up after 2 am Saturday night. It was a pretty crazy atmosphere with loud music, darkness and lasers, and drugged out kids everywhere. Some of the players were complaining about it but I thought it was pretty cool, and since that's generally the environment I play in i think it helped me out.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Can't say about pinside attendees as most my pinball friends aren't on Here.

I'd be your friend if you would stop beating me.

#7 7 years ago

Only two more days! I had to choose between Magfest and Pinburgh this year, and chose Magfest. I might be crazy, but I just have more fun playing the Magfest tourney while checking out all the other cool stuff that's there.

#8 7 years ago

There were many complaints last year from seasoned pinball vets about the music, lasers, and half naked 20-year old girls walking around, and people were begging the TOs to move it to the hotel convention room style board game area. As much as I enjoy playing in an empty, quiet room with flourescent lighting and nobody watching (like every other tournament) I hope this stays where the action was like last time, really made it unique! I guess we'll find out.

#9 7 years ago

I asked Kevin on the FB event and he said it is staying in the arcade, this time dead center. It won't be next to the DJs. I understand the complaints about the noise and distractions but like you said, it makes the tourney more fun and special IMO.

#10 7 years ago

Really wanted to make the trip but I can really only attend Saturday, and they don't sell a single day pass, so I'm out this year but will plan ahead for next year. Good luck guys!

#11 7 years ago

Hard to wait 2 more days!

I did pretty well in the tournament last year (7th), but I don't think I'm going to survive this year. Three straight days of unlimited qualifying is just brutal. There's too much other stuff I want to do at MAGFest and I'm not good enough to qualify without banging my head against the lines for 30 hours. Looking forward to seeing everyone and playing some games though!

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Hard to wait 2 more days!
    I did pretty well in the tournament last year (7th), but I don't think I'm going to survive this year. Three straight days of unlimited qualifying is just brutal. There's too much other stuff I want to do at MAGFest and I'm not good enough to qualify without banging my head against the lines for 30 hours. Looking forward to seeing everyone and playing some games though!

Yeah, I got sucked into the qualifying loop and ended up missing some things which I regret now. It's easy to get lost in qualifying, but with so many other fun things going on I'm going to try and timebox better this year.

#13 7 years ago

I'm just gonna play pinball for 30 hours straight like I did last year.

You can certainly take breaks, go outside, etc., but I'm going for the tournament.

We are also getting there early this time so will have some time to check the other stuff out. Tournament won't get started till after 8PM on thursday.

And hey, if you suck badly enough in the tournament you'll have all or some of your Saturday free, plenty of time to see stuff then.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There were many complaints last year from seasoned pinball vets about the music, lasers, and half naked 20-year old girls walking around...

Oh yeah all of this was just so awful

#15 7 years ago

Why isn't this also listed under Events? That's how it seems to be for many of these shows. Can anyone add the event, or does it need to be done by the promoter?

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

Why isn't this also listed under Events? That's how it seems to be for many of these shows. Can anyone add the event, or does it need to be done by the promoter?

This is not a buying and selling show, nor is it really a pinball show though there are some games there to play. It would not interest your average pinsider. There will be no mods or LED kits for sale at this show.

If you want to keep up on competitive pinball events you should frequently visit https://www.ifpapinball.com/

#17 7 years ago

17 pins on the way in this truck

20170104_161654 (resized).jpg20170104_161654 (resized).jpg

#18 7 years ago

This is happening....

20170105_022931 (resized).jpg20170105_022931 (resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago

That's how you party in a hotel room!

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

This is happening....

Very jealous... im about to head down that way now lol...

#21 7 years ago

Any updates from any attendees? How's the tournament going? What games are being used for the tournament?

#22 7 years ago

Neverdrains.com/magfest2017 for the tourney results.

Crazylevi won our respect, fear, and admiration.

Tournament bank was..

Totan
    Quicksilver
    Bride 2.0 (swapped for whirlwind because of beta code issues)
    Flash Gordon
    Mustang
    Tron pro (mine)
    Funhouse
    Monster bash (my restoration)
    Rolling Stones LE
    Paragon

The flippers guys brought up 19 solid games this year, and our northern Virginia crew brought 30. All in all there were over 60 games to play.

Definitely lots of half naked 20 year olds, loud music, and a ton of arcades old and new including a few rarities such as an environmental discs of tron.

#23 7 years ago

Only complaint was the young kids that didn't understand that a line forming behind them meant they shouldn't keep starting new games.
    Other than that it was an awesome weekend.

#24 7 years ago

Tournament entries were much higher than I anticipated. Good stuff!

Also, great amount of pins on hand, again much higher than I anticipated.

Note - I didn't make the show this year, but will definitely block off time next year. Someone needs to end CrazyLevis winning streak!

#25 7 years ago

To be fair I only finished 2nd after finishing #1 seed! Congrats to andrew on his big big win in overtime match to snatch away my crown and end my title defense.

I'll be back! Another great Magfest. Bought a cool Atari art book with my winnings, paid a friend for pizza, and kept one of the $20 Magfest coins - they were actually very cool medals this year unlike the cheap plastic tokens last year.

#26 7 years ago

Wanted to point out I did get a chance to check out some of the other stuff this time around - a couple of the 8-bit thrash metal bands, and the market. Plenty of breaks back at the atrium view hotel deck for drinks, and trips across the street to visit restaurants. It's hard to resist playing pinball the whole weekend but you need to take breaks!

Again a cool, different event! I like walking around and being old, it's a cool perspective to watch these youthful nerds doing what it is they do.

Seeya next year!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magfest-2017-national-harbor-md-january-5-8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.