(Topic ID: 129572)

Madison, WI - Experiences sought

By kse001

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Hi guys, I am starting to contemplate moving to a new house, and one of the biggest obstacles I see is the logistics of moving 20 pins from the old house to the new one. Transportation alone is going to be a challenge, but things get even more fun if closing dates don't line up and I wind up having to look for storage. The move would be local, so I was just wondering if anyone around this area had gone through this sort of thing and had any experiences (good or bad) they would care to share with local moving companies, storage facilities, etc.

Any info related to the topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle

#2 8 years ago

I moved to a new house about 2 years ago and had to move ~30 pins/arcade games. Prior to the move, I had broke down all the games so it was strictly just moving them on moving day. The new house was about 15 miles from the old house. All of the games were in my basement at the old house and needed to be moved to the basement of the new house, although the new house has basement stairs right from the garage and it is a straight shot down the stairs.

I rented the largest U-Haul available and one trip was just for games (barely got all of them to fit on one truckload). I asked all my local pinball buddies for help and they brought along Escalera dollies, four total. It was a lot of work, but everything was moved in about 6 hours (one truckload was all the other stuff in the house). I probably ruined moving for anyone else due to the amount of work, nobody else is going to volunteer to help again. I'd seriously consider hiring movers if I was going to do this again. Weekend warriors like me aren't used to the work and physical activity of moving that many games in a short period of time. Good luck with the move.

#3 8 years ago

Hey Kyle,

This may sound crazy but I am happy to help. I understand the difficulty that moving presents and will likely be faced with a similar situation in a couple years. I also like pinball and am surprised we have not met in person (i do not think) since we are in the same town.

This may sound even crazier, but I have secure storage with security camera monitoring available on the eastside if you need it during the summer months I would be happy to help out. Can easily store your entire collection wrapped and on their backs.

When are you planning the move and how long do you predict to need storage?

last thought >> feel free to sell me a game or 2 to lighten the load

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

I moved to a new house about 2 years ago and had to move ~30 pins/arcade games. Prior to the move, I had broke down all the games so it was strictly just moving them on moving day. The new house was about 15 miles from the old house. All of the games were in my basement at the old house and needed to be moved to the basement of the new house, although the new house has basement stairs right from the garage and it is a straight shot down the stairs.
    I rented the largest U-Haul available and one trip was just for games (barely got all of them to fit on one truckload). I asked all my local pinball buddies for help and they brought along Escalera dollies, four total. It was a lot of work, but everything was moved in about 6 hours (one truckload was all the other stuff in the house). I probably ruined moving for anyone else due to the amount of work, nobody else is going to volunteer to help again. I'd seriously consider hiring movers if I was going to do this again. Weekend warriors like me aren't used to the work and physical activity of moving that many games in a short period of time. Good luck with the move.

Don't call me.

It really wasn't that bad. We had a lot of help.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

I'm still sore. Not as sore as Tom...but sore. 2 years already? It seems like yesterday. At least my back thinks so...

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from kse001:

Hi guys, I am starting to contemplate moving to a new house, and one of the biggest obstacles I see is the logistics of moving 20 pins from the old house to the new one. Transportation alone is going to be a challenge, but things get even more fun if closing dates don't line up and I wind up having to look for storage. The move would be local, so I was just wondering if anyone around this area had gone through this sort of thing and had any experiences (good or bad) they would care to share with local moving companies, storage facilities, etc.
    Any info related to the topic would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kyle

Hey Kyle,
    I moved from Madison to Black Earth about a year and a half ago and dealt with that very situation.-I had about a dozen games to move. I was fortunate to have a buddy that had a large basement (walkout) with room to spare that allowed me to store the games in his basement.-provided I set them up so he could play them. The arrangement worked out well for both of us as I could also still stop over and play the games while my house was up for sale. Any realtor will tell you to get your games out before listing your place... I used an enclosed trailer that I borrowed from a friend to move the games around (usually 2 or 3 at a time). I had several other friends offer to store games as well but in my situation I lucked out that my one friend had enough room and I didn't have to split them all up. If you're looking for storage I used a place called Out of Sight Storage just west of Middleton to store the rest of my stuff during the move and would recommend them. It wasn't climate controlled but seemed secure, the prices were reasonable, and the management was nice to deal with. I would have felt safe storing my pins there had I not been able to store them with friends. Where are you thinking of moving to in the area?

#7 8 years ago

Hey guys, thanks for the comments and info. I'll respond via PM on some of the more specific comments people made.

So nothing is definite yet, but I just had an accepted offer on a lot out in the Sugar Maple Lane area (out Mineral Point Road a bit). I'm meeting with a builder to see if we can come up with something within my budget. If we can, then I will probably move forward and this becomes more of a reality. If we can't, then I lose the lot and I'm back to hunting for a house I like with a full basement rather than a bi-level/raised ranch (or just being content with where I'm at).

I've been struggling to figure out the logistics and timing of trying to move a collection like this, especially if the dates of everything don't align, so I thought I'd reach out to the community and see what others have done. Thanks again for the comments!

Kyle

#8 8 years ago

Moving sucks! I moved before I got all of my pins.. I'd definitely hire movers if I were going to do it again, but would move the games myself.

I have an escalera if you'd like to borrow it. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/madison-wi-experiences-sought and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.