Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by wayner
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3660 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3659 (resized).JPG
    20220108_143544 (resized).jpg

#1 7 months ago

We've all come across this dilemma; removing the cast metal spider from the buggered up shaft.
    Used a nut, bolt and washer to make a puller. I used the spider bearing plate. Had to find longer screws to attach the puller to the spider. Worked like a charm!

20220108_143544 (resized).jpg
    #2 7 months ago

Nice!

#3 7 months ago

I have zero clue what that actually is or where on a pin, but nice I guess?!

#4 7 months ago

It looks like it’s being used on a gottlieb player up unit. Good job on coming up with the idea.

#5 7 months ago

The Spiders were used on various steppers and roto-targets. They can be difficult to take off because the softer metal shaft gets mullered by the grub screws and expands the fixing shaft where they bite into it. So this puller is a good thing to have in your toolbox

#6 7 months ago

Clever job!

#7 7 months ago

Very Nice. Could have used this last week when I rebuilt a roto target unit on a Criss Cross. Really struggled to get the shaft out.

#8 7 months ago

This was on the roto unit of a Gottlieb "King of Diamonds".

#9 7 months ago
    Quoted from Carlo45:

Really struggled to get the shaft out.

Getting the shaft out is another issue. After removing the spider, you have to dress the burrs on the shaft with a fine file in most cases.

#10 7 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Used a nut, bolt and washer to make a puller.

How is this different than your typical bearing or steering wheel puller?

#11 7 months ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

How is this different than your typical bearing or steering wheel puller?

For me, the difference was I didn't have anything else, so as they say, necessity is the mother of invention.

#12 7 months ago

Please forgive me Joe for imposing on your thread. However when I read it last weekend it provided inspiration to finally solve the pesky "where are those damn cotton buds" which I frequently use during restos. First a rough template then a sheet metal dispenser which slides under my tool cabinet. Thanks for the inspiration!

IMG_3659 (resized).JPG

IMG_3660 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!