(Topic ID: 155789)

Mad Rollin Pinball 2016 >> over $3600 raised for Sara!

By Whysnow

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image(4)_(resized).png
    image(4)_(resized).png
    image(3)_(resized).png
    image(2)_(resized).png
    image(1)_(resized).png
    image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).png

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 7 years ago

Back for the 5th (I think this is the 5th) annual installment is one of the LARGEST charity tournaments in the entire world.

In 2013 we raised ~$1600, 2014 was ~$2200, 2015 was ~$3600, and 2016 = $?????. I am hoping we can blow past the 5k mark this year. Pinball really is all about the people and using pinball to give back is even better!

I thought about taking a year off, but the community support for this event forced me to relent
    Mad Rollin' Pinball or MRP for short is officially back for 2016. The event will be held on Sept 23-24, 2016 in Madison Wisconsin. Format will be largely similar to last year with pingolf in the morining and Pinbrawl in the afternoon on Sept 24th.
    Sept 23rd will be the pre-party warm up for game bringgers, voulenteers, and large donaters.

We have not selected the charity yet, but as is tradition we will say FUCK Cancer and be supporting a local charity that does just that with reseach or helping those that are impacted. I am open to suggestions so feel free to mesage me if you know someone local that is impacted or a charity in need. 100% of ALL entry and proceeds go to the charity, which is part of what makes this event so special. There are no large cash prizes (but there are sick custom trophies), but we will all get the prize of giving back.

Registration will open after MGC. Registration will open in person at the local monthly tourneys starting in May (May 5th at Alt, May 11th at Pooleys) and then open online for any remaining slots. (special accomodations are made for all game bringgers and voulenteers so feel free to message me if you are bringging a game or flying in to voulenteer so we can get you squared away).

All of the specifics about the event can be found at www.madisonpinball.com

For now I have started a list of those bringging games and we are still looking for approximately 6 more decks to come in for the event. Current list is below.

Game bringgers and voulenteers get loads of perks: team slot reserved automatically, reduced entry cost for team, Friday night pre-party and warm up, beer and food provided by me on Friday, special raffle prizes ONLY for game bringgers, plus the knowledge that you are an integral part in the biggest (?) pinball charity competition and giving back with pinball!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

The one change for 2016 is that we will be hosting the event at ALT BREW. It is a great location and they were happy to invite us when a double-booking conflict occured with our regular location.

Current game bringger list: If you want to bring a game then please hit me up ASAP so we can get it locked down.

1. Hilton - 2 games
    2. Mark - 1
    3. Garrett - 1
    4. Sean -1
    5. KingPin - 3
    6. Eric S - 1
    7. Tom G -1
    8. Tully -2
    9. Art - 1
    10. Chris&Chateen - 1
    11. Mike W - 1
    12. Mike S - 1
    13. Jon Z - 1 (Tommy or JP)
    14. SteveS and Doot - 1
    15. Dave B -1

17. Jimmy L -1

For those bringing games please conatct me with team name and teammates name ASAP.

image(4)_(resized).pngimage(4)_(resized).png

#2 7 years ago

less than an hr and off the front page. Man Pinside is busy now-a-days.

#3 7 years ago

added another game bringger.

up to 19 games now!

a few more game bringger slots and we will be where we need to be. So thankful to have the support form all the local/regional crew!

#4 7 years ago

added another!

20 games now.

A few more and we can close the game bringger list.

This event will have 4 events; 3 IFPA tournaments. The main event Pingolf, the Friday night Warm-up, and the 'side' tournament.

#5 7 years ago

1 more person added!

you guys are really awesome! I can't hardly beleive how quick the game bringger list is filing up!

A few more open spots for game bringgers and then we are full and set. LMk soon if you want to commit to bringging a game. Thanks in advance for all that are doing so!

#6 7 years ago

added Jimmy. Thanks Jimmy!

That puts us at 21 or 22 games!!!!!

Room for 2 more game bringgers. Tom or Eric, can you reach out to Braden and ask if he wants to bring a game again?

#7 7 years ago

Bumpage. Looking for a few more game bringgers.

#8 7 years ago

added another. Thanks Michael R!

With 23 games I think we are now all set for game bringers. HUGE thanks for those that are the backbone of this entire charity event! Without all of you and the support, this could never happen!

If anyone else is interested in bringing a game (and all the perks of game bringing, then shoot me a message.

#9 7 years ago

I spoke with Maya last night and she is committed for some sweet custom trophies again for this year. She already was brainstorming on a new media and what to do. I am very excited to see what she comes up with!

THANKS MAYA!

#10 7 years ago

If anyone else wants to bring a game please let me know. Room for probably 1 more.

#11 7 years ago

Has the charity been identified yet?

#12 7 years ago

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Has the charity been identified yet?

Still working some things out and waiting on the BeardBros to confirm a few things, but in short... yes.

The BeardBros have a family friend and extended member of the pinball family by default that is dealing with this aweful disease. They reached out and are just hammering out the details, but assuming all falls into place we will have a specific family/person as the charity again this year.

I will leave it to Paul/Dave to provide all the info as soon as they have the info all together and the blessing from the family to do this.

#14 7 years ago

Sounds like a very worthwhile cause, as always.

#15 7 years ago

I just want a shirt.

#16 7 years ago

I think it's great we do this for charity, and I'm honored that someone I know is being considered for this year. Some quick background -- my brother, cousin and wife all came to know Sara and her family independently. Sara was in the same grade as Paul (my brother - PaulyB), and they actually went to prom together. Conrad is good friends with her younger brother, and stood up in his weddings just a few weeks ago. My wife's family grew up just blocks from Sara and her family, and spent a lot of time with them - including multiple family vacations.

Below are the more detailed words of my wife, who knows Sara better than I do, and is much better at talking about this sort of thing than I am..

----------------------

Sara Melgar is a 34 year old teacher with three children the ages of 3, 5, and 7. Back in November 2015, she went to the doctor as a result of having headaches and small seizures. The doctor discovered a large tumor in her brain. They immediately performed surgery to try to remove what they could, but due to the size and shape of the tumor, they weren't able to remove as much as they wanted. After testing the tumor, she was diagnosed with Grade 3 Astrocytoma. Since then she has gone through a round of radiation and chemo.

In early March, she revisited with the doctor to find out how the tumor was responding to the treatment. It turns out that while the tumor didn't grow, it also didn't shrink. The doctor determined that the tumor is incurable and has now switched treatment to pain relief and comfort. They wouldn't give her an exact timeline, but they are hopeful for a few more years.

Sara has been extremely strong in this fight, but the aggressiveness of the treatment has left her very weak physically. She has been unable to return to work since November, and it is unlikely she will be back anytime soon. As much as the school has supported Sara throughout all of this, they have told her they can't keep her employed unless she returns within the next few weeks. Therefore, it is extremely likely Sara will lose her insurance soon.

Sara and her husband are doing their best to take things as they come, but, as expected, the financial toll this will take going forward is not something they've even been able to solve. I appreciate you considering Sara as the recipient of this year's charity tournament. She is an amazing person and deserves all the help we can give her.

There is currently no blog that is maintained, but her sister, Stefanie, set up a GoFundMe page where she has posted updates since November. It may shed a bit more light on the situation. Her page can be found at https://www.gofundme.com/mfbkdfa4.

Sara has been a very close friend to my family my entire life. We grew up two blocks away from one another and our families routinely took vacations together. Her mom, Karen, was the first person to introduce me to pinball. Karen is an avid fan of pinball, and when I was about 7 or 8 years old, she bought one for their basement (Skateball). We would be entertained for hours playing the game. Of course at that age, our only goal was to keep the ball from draining.

In addition to being a close friend of mine, Sara also has connections with Paul Beimborn and Conrad Weis. Paul and Sara went to high school together, and, as I found out later when I started dating Dave, they also went to prom together. Conrad knows Sara though her younger brother, Ben. Ben and Con have been close friends since as far back as middle school and he knows their family well. In fact, Conrad has since purchased Skateball from Karen.

Again, I am sincerely grateful that Sara is being considered for this event.

Thank you,

Jami Beimborn

#17 7 years ago

Hey Dave, thanks for the write up. I will be sure to update the website when I get a chance. A great and deserving family and I am stoked to be able to have us ALL help out through pinball!

You can tell Jami this is a done deal. So long as Sara is comfortable with us doing this then it is 100% a go!

This is the motivation we all need to blow past the 5k mark and make this the biggest and best Mad Rollin' ever!

#18 7 years ago

p.s. If anyone has a Skateball that they can bring for the event then please let me know. It only seems fitting.

Even better if anyone has one they want to sell, I will buy and donate to the raffle in order to raise more for the cause then please message me.

#19 7 years ago

I beg that anyone who can provide support in any fashion, by any means to this event, to do so.

Hilton - we'll bring 2 games for certain.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I beg that anyone who can provide support in any fashion, by an means to this event, to do so.
    Hilton - we'll bring 2 games for certain.

thanks for the support Mark! It means alot to me how the community always rallies around the cause!

#21 7 years ago

23 commited games (plus the 7 we will have at Alt Brew by then) means we should be all set for this year on games!

Thanks to all that have commited.

LMK if you hear of a skateball for sale in the area.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

23 commited games (plus the 7 we will have at Alt Brew by then) means we should be all set for this year on games!
    Thanks to all that have commited.
    LMK if you hear of a skateball for sale in the area.

Holy Crap! Is there enough room for 30 games at Alt Brew? Looking forward to it.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Holy Crap! Is there enough room for 30 games at Alt Brew? Looking forward to it.

We get the whole bar (7 in pinball area but could fit 9, 5-7 in front bar area, 5-7 in left side entrance/in front of brewing area) plus the back room on the right side which could likely fit 10-12 more.

It will be a full house of pinball and 80-100 people, but we should be all good. Most importantly they have 2 200amp breaker boxes and what appears to be plenty of power run so should be good on that front.

Only time will tell, but we will have fun no matter what!

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

We get the whole bar (7 in pinball area but could fit 9, 5-7 in front bar area, 5-7 in left side entrance/in front of brewing area) plus the back room on the right side which could likely fit 10-12 more.
    It will be a full house of pinball and 80-100 people, but we should be all good. Most importantly they have 2 200amp breaker boxes and what appears to be plenty of power run so should be good on that front.
    Only time will tell, but we will have fun no matter what!

True That!

It might be hotter than a tournament in my basement but I don't think that is possible !

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

True That!
    It might be hotter than a tournament in my basement but I don't think that is possible !

not possible

They also have industrial AC so I think we are good.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

not possible
    They also have industrial AC so I think we are good.

I can't justify that 2 times a year.

2 weeks later
    #27 7 years ago

Team registration opens onsite at AltBrew on Thursday May 5th at the monthly. Please bring cash, have your team name ready, and the full name for both yourself and your partner.

The second opportunity to register will be Sat May 7th at the GB launch at AltBrew.

I prefer using cash registration as it means more money for the charity and less hassle with paypal (a couple years ago they froze my account after I got so many 'gift' payments in registration over a couple day period.)

Following the GB launch I will update the website and open online registration for any remaining team spots. If you want to ensure yourself a team slot them head on out to AltBrew to register in person.

Of course, those whom are commited game bringgers have a team slot reserved.

#28 7 years ago

Here is the list again of commited game bringers:
    1. Hilton - 2 games
    2. Mark S- 2
    3. Garrett P- 1
    4. Sean S -1
    5. KingPin - 3
    6. Eric S- 1
    7. Tom G-1
    8. Tully -2
    9. Art D- 1
    10. Chris&Chateen - 1
    11. Mike w - 1
    12. Mike S - 1
    13. Jon Z - 1 (Tommy or JP)
    14. SteveS and Doot -1
    15. Dave B - 1
    16. Pauly B -1
    17. Jimmy L - 1
    18. Michael R -1

Please email me with your team name and partners name in the next week. We can do your team payment onsite if you will be at an upcoming AltBrew event or can deal with payment later for game bringgers.

2 weeks later
    #29 7 years ago

If you are a game bringger, PLEASE email me ASAP with your team name, and partners name.

I would like to have these all solidified by Wednesday at latest as I open registration for all others on Thursday at Alt Brew tournament and then again on Saturday at the official WI GhostBuster Launch Party.

#30 7 years ago

Reminder that in person registration is open currently and I will be doing registration on Saturday at the GB launch event.

Currently 8 team spots (out of 40) remain. In other words, there is a decent shot Mad Rollin 2016 sells out tomorrow.

Come early to the GB launch and bring cash to register.

IF there are any spots remaining then I will likely open up online registration on Sunday when I get a chance.

#31 7 years ago

ONLY 4 Mad Rollin Pinball team slots remain after the in person registration today. I plan to open online registration on Sunday when I wake up and get my stuff in gear. I will post here and all the usual spots to give a heads up once registration is open.

#32 7 years ago

online registration now open. Act Quick if you want a slot!

#33 7 years ago

started a waitlist.

A few spots will likely shake out as people finalize plans and get partners squared away, so I stil suggest getting on the waitlist if you are interested.

#34 7 years ago

in other news, Scott (RIOT Pinball) is currently working on an AWESOME design for custom shirts for Mad Rollin Pinball.

You all know Scotts Art from things like WOOLY and a few custom art projects! The design is every bit as amazing!

Hoping he will share some images of the draft/final artwork soon.
    I will then arrange a quote for shirts (and hoddies for KingPin) and take preorders from those that are interested.

#35 7 years ago

Is Nate coming back for some Mad Rollin action?

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Is Nate coming back for some Mad Rollin action?

yes sir.

Coast to Ghost 2.0

1 week later
    #37 7 years ago

Without further hesitation I present the new face of Mad Rollin Pinball!

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

image(1)_(resized).pngimage(1)_(resized).png

image(2)_(resized).pngimage(2)_(resized).png

image(3)_(resized).pngimage(3)_(resized).png

image(4)_(resized).pngimage(4)_(resized).png

#38 7 years ago

HUGE THANKS!!!!! to Scott G for donating his time to make us this amazing image! I think he capture the idea of mad rollin perfectly!

I an working to find a good online T shirt ordering place that can print in multiple colors well.
    If anyone has suggestions please let me know.

I will then start taking preorders for shirts.

If there is interest then I may also get some pints with the black/white only version

#39 7 years ago

Hilton,

Can you take me down to one game? Health issues prevent me from moving games much anymore. Thanks.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Hilton,
    Can you take me down to one game? Health issues prevent me from moving games much anymore. Thanks.

will do. sorry to hear that Mark. Hope you start to feel better.

#41 7 years ago

I think this is permanent. Just means I have to keep my collection as a long term thing.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Just means I have to keep my collection as a long term thing.

that is a good thing in my book

Let me know if you ever need a hand with stuff. I am not that far away and always happy to help if you need it, just say the word.

2 months later
    #43 7 years ago

There are currently 2 team slots open for Mad Rollin 2016.

I have emailed all people on the waitlist and gave them a couple days with no response so opening it back up to the public.

I am trying to get final team stuff solidified ASAP so then I can open up a preorder for shirts and get logisitics of the event all mapped out.

Please meesage me if you want in. I need your name, your partners name, your team name.
    I will provide instructions for paypal donation (note: ALL funds brought in go to charity cause).

#44 7 years ago

bump

Let's fill these 2 vacated spots

#45 7 years ago

bump

1 slot filled

1 slot remains.

#46 7 years ago

I should be able to come early again this year if you need it.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I should be able to come early again this year if you need it.

yes please

would love if you can assist with golf rules and tweaks again! You did a fantastic job of ensuring golf goals are good and keep things moving. I think continuing to hedge on the side of slightly too easy is better to keep things moving and spirits high.

#48 7 years ago

Okay no problem. Happy to help. I'll do what I did last year and get opinions from the lot as well.

#49 7 years ago

I wish I could take the last spot!

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I wish I could take the last spot!

flights are pretty cheap buddy

I have a couch

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mad-rollin-pinball-2016-officially-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.