6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 25 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200118_125708_resized (resized).jpg
    20200118_094728 (resized).jpg
    20200118_095028 (resized).jpg
    20200118_094803 (resized).jpg
    received_1084206981921102 (resized).jpeg
    7CB1A972-07FF-4B39-B716-8FF2B02E9E89 (resized).jpeg
    3EDA971B-4F85-46C4-AF12-7D1C38A015F6 (resized).jpeg
    Mad-max-interceptor-interior (resized).jpg
    15780916667801939665837197679406 (resized).jpg
    20190603_171455 (1) (resized).jpg
    20190504_103450 (resized).jpg
    20190614_152356 (1) (resized).jpg
    20190616_173813 (1) (resized).jpg
    20190712_082805 (resized).jpg
    20190614_152305 (1) (resized).jpg
    received_493200004757979 (resized).jpeg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 months ago

So, here we are 10 months down the track of my retheme project Mad Max, the original movie. Based on the Getaway. A dream I have had a for a few years that is nearly at the end. This is a repost from my local forum in Australia. I will add pics from my phone as it is alot easier for me!

It's going to be a long haul with lots of my own thoughts and feelings described. Hope you enjoy the ride. A few friends have had some looks at it over the build and I got it officially tested by the bronze last week!! ( Current high score to GAP)
    I wanted to hold off and present this when 100% complete but it is so close and I am playing it daily at the momentit. So, I wanted to share it in its current form for now and will update as it happens. It's mainly pinsound tweaking , a couple of mods and the dmd updates to go.

Some of the inspiration for doing this goes to local Trev Thomas Tank engine build and also the Battle pinny! Although I feel these guys are more next level than me! This is also true of you guys building from scratch - some amazing talent out there.

Firstly, I am by no means a petrol head but have always loved the ford v holden, good vs bad stuff from the 70s and 80s and in particular Australian Cinema and music of that era. My first car was a Country delaer team turbo VC Commodore so I should say I am holden by heart , but the interceptor was the exception!

With such an ambitious project there are always the special people who have helped along the way.
    I'm scared to list them in fear of missing someone but here goes anyway!

Scott T - Savage Restorations ( no relation!) without his help in customising my numerous play field designs my stuff wouldn't happen!
    Stuzza and Chris for the help with bringing my artwork together and applying. AMzing interperations from my MSpaint mockups!
    Paul, Tony, Trevor, Peter, Tobias, Jeff for help with the donor games and parts in and out.
    Ken for refurb electrics, Dan Pannell for dmd, and last but not least Thomas for his amazing work on the pin2dmd for us.

All the awesome parts suppliers around the globe that I use regularly, in particluar Pinsound, Marco and Pinball life.
    And lastly my brother Matt for funding half the project and making his own as well.

So, I think I have watched Mad Max about 80 times, who knows maybe more. What an awesome movie. A classic, never to be outdone imo. I enjoyed Mad Max 2 as well, till about half way through until the good guys camp, all in white flowing outfits and I sort of lost interest from there other than the last chase scene.

Mad max 3, hated it what a joke,my god. Fury Road, a good movie for the era I guess, but me personally I found it really corny and the relevance and attachment to Mad Max I find woeful. An insult almost.
    I know there is a guy doing a Fury Road project in the USA which looks absolutely amazing, much respect and it is looking next level, but I never really equate or relate Fury Road to Mad Max. Sadly Mel Gibson lost his way, but happily Steve Bisley is still a precious Australian little nugget still. He has two books out which are imo awesome. Particularly in book two where he describes being pulled over on his bike speeding like hell in the country only for the cops to be blown away it is the Goose and call in all there mates for some photos...classic outback Australia!

So my focus for the project is Mad Max the original movie (one and) only. No Angry, no Tina, no camels, no cock rock guitar on top of a moving crane just gritty Australian cinema era.

I always thought the Getaway was a good base game for the title. The blower of course, but also the simple rule set, availability of parts and game flow ticked all boxes for me.
    Up until last year though the issue was playfield and dmd. And earlier still custom sound changes. Luckily now these can all be addressed with great help from those mentioned above and a lot of time and planning and trials on my part.
    I did initially approach the makers of the mad max ( meteor ) retheme floating around which apparently if you fork out 30k you can still get one. Well I pretty much dismissed that immediately plus never really liked it visually at all anyway.
    I wanted a retheme project to include under the bonnet as well!( why wouldn't you?) ...and be more reflective of the original movie, darker and gritty.

I won't go into every little detail I did along the way but here is a list of the key things I have done with the retheme.
    Cost to date, donor machines parts, artwork, r&d, mishaps! approx. 16-17k each.

Playfield full custom artwork based on movie
    Plastics modified getaway plastics with prop and scene specific images
    Translite custom interceptor and lighting
    Speaker panel based on XB Falcon art
    Gear shift moved to correct position! The left side, with movie replica blower switch and Ford gear knob. Blower switch is an active mod but I have yet to integrate into the game so far. This may come in when I fit Pinsound motion control options.
    Start, ignition key setup with dash lights interactive on speaker panel. All XB Falcon themed.
    Sound, ground up build of pinsound file based on the first movie, (200hrs plus so far)
    Rule set, it is the same as Getaway (currently running L2 Rom) but the animations (pin2dmd) are all changed to relevant movie aspects. The traffic lights are now the 3 main bad guys in order of the movie hunt down, Night Rider, Bubba, Johnny, with Redline Mania changed to the final scene and Toe cutter Chase. Other changes to cars, lock sequences and deletion of helicopter parts etc.
    So in essence same code and gameplay just reworked to fit the movie as best as I could.
    The gear shaft was machined from stainless and custom bracket made (4 prototypes).
    The blower is handmade/bent on my bench in aluminium and then buffed to give a low sheen effect as close to the movie as possible.
    Supercharger and Traffic light signs are 3d printed mods form the US with custom acrylic graphics.
    All stainless polished. Ramps chromed.
    Cabinets were fresh built out of Furniture grade ply. These I modified a bit with biscuit and epoxy joins rather than the routed originals as I think on ply this system has a few question marks for me..
    Cab art is on air release vinyl and satin laminated to give the look and feel of the interceptor duco.
    I'll put a bucket load of photos up from my phone as I go and some youtube clips.

Will update the remaining finishing touches as they get done which are :
    Dmd animations, Pinsound fine tuning, and some minor art changes on the playfield bits and pieces.
    It's been an awesome experience and I recommend it to anyone, so much fun.
    Don't let the charlatans tell you otherwise!

Kick her in the guts Barry!

#2 6 months ago

Pics

20191013_153633 (resized).jpg20190922_180146 (resized).jpg20191227_170329 (resized).jpg20191215_191019 (resized).jpg
    #3 6 months ago

pics

20190706_161852 (resized).jpg20190616_173711 (1) (resized).jpg
    #4 6 months ago
    received_493200004757979 (resized).jpegreceived_475926109851835 (resized).jpeg20190922_142524 (resized).jpgreceived_344739966200025 (resized).jpeg20190614_152305 (1) (resized).jpg20190712_082805 (resized).jpg
    #5 6 months ago

pics

20190616_173813 (1) (resized).jpg20190614_152356 (1) (resized).jpg20190504_103450 (resized).jpg20190603_171455 (1) (resized).jpg
    #6 6 months ago

video

#7 6 months ago

Looks awesome!

#8 6 months ago

Beautiful job. Will be following this thread as it gets finished. I know you couldn't fit all of the characters on the playfield but "Bubba" would have been cool too, unless I missed his mug somewhere.

#9 6 months ago

Hey gjm, Bubba is the second baddie (yellow target) and will feature in the lock mode.
    I'm also adding some callouts with his voice as well. "There's nothing like a Nightrider" is a definite..

15780916667801939665837197679406 (resized).jpg
    #10 6 months ago

Absolutely beautiful! I love all of the small details, even on the inside of the cab. Great vision and execution! You are definitely going all the way on this one, and I have no doubt would take the ribbon at any pinball show with your quality and detail.

Hate to be a nitpicker, but for future videos can you please turn the phone to shoot in landscape?

#11 6 months ago
    Quoted from Jakusu:

Hey gjm, Bubba is the second baddie (yellow target) and will feature in the lock mode.
    I'm also adding some callouts with his voice as well. "There's nothing like a Nightrider" is a definite..[quoted image]

So many great lines to choose from. Bubba getting Johnny out of jail. The kid near the torn up car; "Hey mister, what happened to the car?"
    Bubba " what do you think happened?'
    Kid " looks like it was chewed up and spit out"
    Bubba " perhaps it is a result of anxiety"

Johnny yelling to The goose " We know who you are bronze" Goose " See you on the road scag"

Once again, great work on a great theme.

#12 6 months ago

Outstanding!

#13 6 months ago

Wow.

#14 6 months ago

I'm finishing up the interceptor wipes and special credits tonight. Hoping to get the hitch hiker scenes done tomorrow too. Glad I can be a part of this!

#15 6 months ago

#16 6 months ago

Congratulations. Great job

#17 6 months ago

Outstanding work!

#18 6 months ago

Even the coil sleeves?...Omg, that is ambitious project, and nicely done. The shifter on the left is a bit confusing to me however I will have to watch Mad Max and check that out...AWESOME!

#19 6 months ago

Oh man, that is so friggin bad ass.
    Absolutely love it.

#20 6 months ago

looks awesome. So on the Getaway, are you going to change the triple light scoop, to a fully turning blower?

#21 6 months ago

Looks great!

#22 6 months ago

Great job!

#23 6 months ago

Awesome!! I like how you came up with the flipper coil wrappers. GetAway also had a Lamborghini version.

#24 6 months ago
    Quoted from Passave:

Even the coil sleeves?...Omg, that is ambitious project, and nicely done. The shifter on the left is a bit confusing to me however I will have to watch Mad Max and check that out...AWESOME!

There is only one Max.

Mad-max-interceptor-interior (resized).jpg

#25 6 months ago

Bad ass! Love the translate and especially the shifter. Wish I could play it.

#26 6 months ago

Impressive!

I did a similar project few years ago but with Cars.

3EDA971B-4F85-46C4-AF12-7D1C38A015F6 (resized).jpeg7CB1A972-07FF-4B39-B716-8FF2B02E9E89 (resized).jpeg
    #27 6 months ago
    Quoted from Passave:

Aussies drive on the left side of the road, so driver's seat in on right side of car. Just watch Mad Max last night, and the driving scenes kept throwing me off when there were two people in the front seat.

#28 6 months ago
    Quoted from PiperPinball:

Impressive!
    I did a similar project few years ago but with Cars.[quoted image][quoted image]

When looking at that lineup, what pin have you NOT converted to "Cars" (they are all awesome)?

#29 6 months ago

wow - looks great

#30 6 months ago

That is awesome!!

#31 6 months ago
    Quoted from PiperPinball:

Impressive!
    I did a similar project few years ago but with Cars.[quoted image][quoted image]

If that was a Pin2DMD I'd totally do some custom cars animations lol

#32 6 months ago

Awesome!!!!

Great work.

1 week later
    #33 5 months ago

Seen this in the flesh and it is absolutely next level work. And the perfect machine to re theme ... Toecutter!

#34 5 months ago

We want more! When might you be posting more pics/video to show progress and game play?

#35 5 months ago

He's probably waiting on me

#36 5 months ago

Its pouring rain here today 40-80mm forecast...
    I have to lay 50m of turf in the morning and then its on to max.
    Couple of parts arrived yesterday so will fit up and do a video of my crap playing.....in landscape!!

received_1084206981921102 (resized).jpeg
    #37 5 months ago

Turf company cancelled - so Max is up!

couple of videos up on youtube

And here are a couple of under the bonnet pics.

When animations are done I'll do a full blown video.

20200118_094728 (resized).jpg20200118_094803 (resized).jpg20200118_095028 (resized).jpg
    #38 5 months ago

Nice vid and great pics. I’m really liking your orchestration.

#39 5 months ago

Beautiful execution. So many elegant and thoughtful details!

#40 5 months ago

Thanks guys...nice to get good feedback after the big effort and expense!

#41 5 months ago

Even the coil wrappers say Mad Max. Most excellent.

#42 5 months ago

Ridiculously well done. Just amazing.

#43 5 months ago

Awesome! Night Rider!

#44 5 months ago

I remember you when I look at the night sky!

#45 5 months ago

Last of the V8s! Be a shame to blow it up.

Picked up from Hobby Lobby a year or two ago for garage art, in the clearance aisle! Just dumb luck we were there that weekend.

20200118_125708_resized (resized).jpg
    #46 5 months ago

I've actually got a scaelectrix 12v interceptor lights and wheel action but undecided if I will mount it may take away from the dark feel I want.

#47 5 months ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Last of the V8s! Be a shame to blow it up.
    Picked up from Hobby Lobby a year or two ago for garage art, in the clearance aisle! Just dumb luck we were there that weekend.[quoted image]

Great deal! My auto art one was over $100 .

2 weeks later
    #48 5 months ago

Awesome work!

#49 5 months ago

Thanks Mate..

Can't believe my brother called me yesterday and said he wants to sell his now ( and his Dr Who) - I'm a bit shocked tbh!
    I've put it up for sale on our local forum as USA too far away.
    There will only ever be 2!

Malenko sent me some graphics updates today - off to test it now and have a few games!

Put some custome shaker steps in with teh Pinsound motion control, whole pin rumbles on idle at start up now - amazing bit of kit.

#50 5 months ago

That machine is badass!!!!!! Beautiful.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 39.50
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 5.00
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 199.99
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 129.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    Lighting - Led
    Professor Pinball
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 104.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 400.00
    Playfields
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.90
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Haus
    There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside