(Topic ID: 90620)

MAD Amusements - has anyone had dealings with this parts supplier?

By charsiufan

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 181 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Blackbeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Warming the Sausauge .gif
HSBC Wire transfer.jpg

There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

I can't for the life of me understand why someone would give this post a thumbs down.

Read the thread again....

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

This has been beaten to death, people have great luck with Mike, I personally do. And then there are people that don't, whom tend to be from different countries.

Purchasing product from a reputable retailer does not involve luck.
It is called business.

Clearly MAD has made his bed and is on the way to closure.
Screwing over both your suppliers and customers is a direct route to bankruptcy.

Not to mention his banned eBay account still links from the front page of his site:

The seller User ID you entered was not found.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Read the thread again....

Ummmmm, I did. Imeh was apologetic towards the OP for what happened to him. He (or she) mentioned that everything went ok when an order was placed. And that was Imeh's experience with Mad. What is there to disagree with? Because that is what it says when you click on the thumbs down icon. Disagree that Imeh was not sorry that it happened? or that the experience did not go as stated? There was nothing offensive in that post at all. It was one pinsider relating an experience, thats all. To all who want to burn Mad at the stake, you are all free to post on this public forum about your dealings with Mad. But remember, all who have had positive transactions should be able too as well, without getting numerous thumbs down just because it goes against the grain of the witch hunt thread. So click away on this post. I had a good order with Mad. I also had a good transaction at the gas station the other day. Got the amount of gas that I paid for. The clerk was friendly as well. Price was cheap for the area. Oops, better not post something like this because someone might have a personal vendetta against Shell, and everyone who has been satisfied getting gas there will be the bad guy, just because something went well for them. To everyone who gave the thumbs down on that post, grow up.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

Ummmmm, I did. Imeh was apologetic towards the OP for what happened to him. He (or she) mentioned that everything went ok when an order was placed. And that was Imeh's experience with Mad. What is there to disagree with? Because that is what it says when you click on the thumbs down icon. Disagree that Imeh was not sorry that it happened? or that the experience did not go as stated? There was nothing offensive in that post at all. It was one pinsider relating an experience, thats all. To all who want to burn Mad at the stake, you are all free to post on this public forum about your dealings with Mad. But remember, all who have had positive transactions should be able too as well, without getting numerous thumbs down just because it goes against the grain of the witch hunt thread. So click away on this post. I had a good order with Mad. I also had a good transaction at the gas station the other day. Got the amount of gas that I paid for. The clerk was friendly as well. Price was cheap for the area. Oops, better not post something like this because someone might have a personal vendetta against Shell, and everyone who has been satisfied getting gas there will be the bad guy, just because something went well for them. To everyone who gave the thumbs down on that post, grow up.

Ummmm, it's not "one Pinsider", it's an ongoing problem if you bothered to research past threads. In simple terms, if you live in the U S of A, you're pretty much gold. If you do not live here, it appears that you're pretty much SOL. (Gummies, not withstanding.) Yet another post from someone domestically saying what a great experience they had with MAD has nothing to do with MAD's alleged international issues.

#105 5 years ago

I'm going to spin this in a kinda disgusting way. If you're walking down the street and see a little old lady approached and attached by a rabid dog and it rips her face off aka monkey style, and you walk by unscathed, do you really think it's helpful to tell everyone "Hey, I had no problem, must be OK!" That's what's going on here.

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Even having bad transactions isn't the end of the world. It happens. You deal with people, nothing is ever going to be perfect. The key is how you deal with those transactions. Ignoring people and causing them to have to file claims is just confirming poor customer service. Reaching out when there is a problem, communicating, and going out of your way to make things right is something entirely different. I would deal with a vendor who screwed up once and bent over backwards any time!
A poor transaction is a perfect opportunity for customer service to shine through and make a huge win!

Man....well said!! That is exactly how we approach those kind of issues. The problem is there....you are probably going to resolve it anyway if you intend on staying in business. You might as well turn it into a great opportunity. People expect to have to hassle companies to get a problem resolved....when you take care of it willingly, plus go a step further, you have a customer for life.

I was giving Mad the benefit of the doubt....we have never had any issues but it has been a few months since I have ordered from them. This has all the signs of a company that is working through their inventory with intentions of closing. No way I would order going forward. I would feel like an idiot if I didn't get my stuff after reading these posts. I need a better track record than "most people are getting their stuff." My luck would be I would get stuck. As they say, it's all good until it isn't.

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Ummmm, it's not "one Pinsider", it's an ongoing problem if you bothered to research past threads. In simple terms, if you live in the U S of A, you're pretty much gold. If you do not live here, it appears that you're pretty much SOL. (Gummies, not withstanding.) Yet another post from someone domestically saying what a great experience they had with MAD has nothing to do with MAD's alleged international issues.

I understand the whole concept of this thread. I also know of other threads where people have had problems with the same company. And I am NOT saying that it is not of a concern for potential buyers or those who have bought from and got burned in the past. Some pinsiders had problems with vendors selling NIB machines. Some didn't. Some pinsiders have had problems with Gottlieb machines. Some didn't. Those that had problem should not condemn those who didn't. I could go on and on with examples, but the bottom line is that the OP asked if anyone has dealt with this vendor before, and both satisfied and unsatisfied cutomers should be able to truthfully tell of their individual experiences.

#108 5 years ago

Yes I have recently ordered some ramps from MAD, good price, quick safe shipping.

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

the bottom line is that the OP asked if anyone has dealt with this vendor before

The man lives in Hong Kong. Again, international issues....

Tapping out and agreeing to disagree... A hoist of my brew to you, sir...cheers.

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

The man lives in Hong Kong. Again, international issues....
Tapping out and agreeing to disagree... A hoist of my brew to you, sir...cheers.

Enjoy the beer my friend, I am going to have one as well. : )

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

Enjoy the beer my friend, I am going to have one as well. : )

....in a perfect world, this is how all WOZ threads should end....

#112 5 years ago

What bothers me is that it's a new guy asking if there's issues with MAD, and we all know there is. It's known problematic to everyone a few months old on Pinside, yet instead of warning the new guy that he better watch his ass, post after post of "I got my order, no issues". That's not helpful. Guy already HAS issues, and throws out his history repeating exactly how MAD typical screws over international buyers. Like I said I hope he gets his order.

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from toddsvec:

What bothers me is that it's a new guy asking if there's issues with MAD, and we all know there is. It's known problematic to everyone a few months old on Pinside, yet instead of warning the new guy that he better watch his ass, post after post of "I got my order, no issues". That's not helpful. Guy already HAS issues, and throws out his history repeating exactly how MAD typical screws over international buyers. Like I said I hope he gets his order.

Ok. Think of the last pinball related company that you bought from, (you must have bought something from someone,) and you had a trouble free experience with them. Now lets pretend that I had problems with them and asked if anyone has had any dealings with this company, what would you HONESTLY say?

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

Purchasing product from a reputable retailer does not involve luck.
It is called business.
Clearly MAD has made his bed and is on the way to closure.
Screwing over both your suppliers and customers is a direct route to bankruptcy.
Not to mention his banned eBay account still links from the front page of his site:
The seller User ID you entered was not found.

You have no control over how the guy runs his business, don't order and move on, it's that easy. It's his business to run as he chooses.

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from toddsvec:

I'm going to spin this in a kinda disgusting way. If you're walking down the street and see a little old lady approached and attached by a rabid dog and it rips her face off aka monkey style, and you walk by unscathed, do you really think it's helpful to tell everyone "Hey, I had no problem, must be OK!" That's what's going on here.

That's just ridiculous, that's not what's going on here. It's not at all like death from a rabid dog attack. If the guy chooses to run his business that way so be it. Not the stealing of someone's money, just come right out and say that you don't ship internationally.

The OP asked peoples experiences, not share your negative experiences. I see no problem relating positive experiences, what does everything have to be negative only?

#116 5 years ago

If your grandmother lived in Germany, would you let her wire her savings to MAD ?

Warming the Sausauge .gif

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

I understand the whole concept of this thread. I also know of other threads where people have had problems with the same company. And I am NOT saying that it is not of a concern for potential buyers or those who have bought from and got burned in the past. Some pinsiders had problems with vendors selling NIB machines. Some didn't. Some pinsiders have had problems with Gottlieb machines. Some didn't. Those that had problem should not condemn those who didn't. I could go on and on with examples, but the bottom line is that the OP asked if anyone has dealt with this vendor before, and both satisfied and unsatisfied cutomers should be able to truthfully tell of their individual experiences.

You're being weirdly obtuse. It's not news when a customer receives something they paid for. This thread is about a guy who consistently lies to and rips off overseas buyers.

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

You're being weirdly obtuse. It's not news when a customer receives something they paid for. This thread is about a guy who consistently lies to and rips off overseas buyers.

That's not what the thread there implies.

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from charsiufan:

Has anyone ordered any parts from this company recently?

the op's question from page 1

#121 5 years ago

anyway, OP. pls keep us informed on if u get your order. or for that matter a response of some sort.
thanks.

#122 5 years ago

Maybe the company is set up only for tax purposes to lose money, and the more he pisses people off, the better it works out for his complete portfolio

I mean, there has to be some reason!

Mike - I know you're reading this (you once told me you read all the posts about you and note the nicks) - why don't you just start fresh, say you will clean the slate, and change the way you handle customer service. Clearly, there are a lot of people that want to order from you, and you SHOULD make a killing.

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

ow lets pretend that I had problems with them and asked if anyone has had any dealings with this company, what would you HONESTLY say?

In this case I would say "Many people got screwed from him, especially people that are overseas like you are.". I would not simply say "I had no problem", because I have that knowledge about the company when he hasn't done his research.

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from toddsvec:

Not quite.... Everyone is given a choice who they buy from. In your scenario the little old lady was not given a choice.

Bottom line here is use MAD at your own risk. Plenty of warnings out there, and plenty of good dealings out there (myself included), it is up to you as a consumer to weigh the risk vs. reward.

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Bottom line here is use MAD at your own risk. Plenty of warnings out there, and plenty of good dealings out there (myself included), it is up to you as a consumer to weigh the risk vs. reward.

i find it astounding that people here are willing to excuse him just because they personally haven't been ripped off. pretty disgusting in fact.

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i find it astounding that people here are willing to excuse him just because they personally haven't been ripped off. pretty disgusting in fact.

Disgusting? Really? There are many more things in this world to be disgusted about that really matter, perhaps choose to be disgusted about them instead.

#127 5 years ago

Disgusting? Really? There are many more things in this world to be disgusted about that really matter, perhaps choose to be disgusted about them instead.

what percentage of overseas customers would he have to rip off for you to take your business elsewhere? or are you perfectly fine doing business with a thief?

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

what percentage of overseas customers would he have to rip off for you to take your business elsewhere? or are you perfectly fine doing business with a thief?

I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying (this time...), but you know, you only have three machines - try 28 like I do along with the others I repair, and see where your options are for all the possible parts you can find yourself needing.

It's not as easy as simply cutting him off. He seems to get a lot of stuff no one else can.

#129 5 years ago

To answer the question - no I haven't heard back from him. As someone pointed out it wasn't logical to refund a Paypal order and request it is wired just to add on $60 shipping unless he wanted a payment method that was not so refundable.

I'll go to the bank tomorrow and tell them I haven't heard from the seller and see what they advise. I have also seen some links to authorities in the US - although I guess they are not overly interested as it isn't big money. No point making it as easy as possible for this guy to rip off customers.

It isn't only the $500 down the drain, it is also the time I spent researching and contacting other companies, the two months I have been calling and sending emails and the hoops he made me jump through only to pocket the money. I also have a machine I bought in February at has spent the last two months not working properly.

In the long run this doesn't benefit anyone as it puts people off ownership of these machines and in turn creates less of a market. For everyone who states it is each person's choice whether to do business with a company - if this happens repeatedly you'd give up and sell the machine.

Thanks everyone for their support. There is clearly one bad guy in this piece but the rest of you have been very welcoming and helpful with advice.

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I do business with whomever I choose, and everyone else should too.

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Judge much? LOL....

I base my interactions with people and businesses with MY interactions. I am not making excuses for anyone, and feel bad for those that have had negative experiences with any vendor.

If I lived outside of the US, I would probably not place an order in the amount I wasn't willing to lose should something go south, based on reviews from others. But the simple fact remains- I have placed many orders over many years and have had very positive experiences every single time.

#132 5 years ago

Here are the international shipping terms on the website. I suspect that Mike has to deal with a ton of these requests without people reading any of this and gets tired of it. Is that a reason to hold up processing or something, no, but I can see how it could be a huge pain in the ass.

For International Customers Outside The United States:

A shipping deposit between $39.00 and $55.00 is automatically added to confirm an International order, which is applied to the actual shipping cost. This is NOT a flat rate shipping charge. This deposit will generally cover an order up to 2 pounds and $100.00 in value via USPS EMS Express or USPS Priority International mail. For orders over 2 pounds and/or exceeding $100.00 in value, you will receive an email after your order is placed with the accurate shipping options and details. If your order does not exceed 2 pounds and/or $100.00 in value, but has significant differences in the shipping rates, you will receive an email with the options to choose from as well. International orders with multiple shipping options must confirm the shipping method desired and pay the shipping balance due, if applicable, before the order can ship.

If the actual shipping and handling cost for your order is less than the shipping deposit, a refund will be issued when the order is processed. If the actual shipping and handling cost for your order exceeds the shipping deposit, an invoice will be sent specifying the shipping balance due, which must be paid before your order ships. We charge the actual shipping cost plus a very reasonable handling charge for each order. This covers the cost of professional packing supplies to ensure your order arrives safe and quick.

For an accurate quote, please send an email to customer service with your country and item(s) that you would like a shipping quote on: http://www.mad-amusements.com/contact-form.php

If you need the order expedited or if you need it to arrive by a specific date, please email or call in advance for the options and details.

Due to restrictions on the size of a package and the maximum insurance value for shipping to certain countries, oversize items and/or high value orders may need to ship in multiple packages. If an International order needs to ship in multiple packages or has a high insurance value, special shipping and payment terms will apply.

Due to extended delays with customs clearance in certain countries, special payment terms will apply for all shipments going to these countries; regardless of the size of the package and the value of the order.

International orders must ship via USPS EMS Express or USPS Priority International mail, which both provide tracking and insurance. We do NOT ship International orders via UPS.

Due to recent changes with the USPS, insurance is no longer offered for Priority International mail to certain countries. For these cases, the order must ship via USPS EMS Express.

Please make sure that you select the correct shipping address in Paypal. All orders MUST ship to the address provided with the credit card and Paypal payment, regardless of the website's Shipping and Invoice addresses.

All customs and duty taxes are the responsibility of the customer. If you are not sure what the charges will be, please check with your local customs office in advance. All orders ship with insurance, a copy of the invoice (for orders that have more than 3 different items) and the actual value on the customs forms; no exceptions.

#133 5 years ago

Yes I did check that before I placed the order. No disputing these T&Cs. It did however take a month for him to respond with details on how to pay the extra charges.

Even in his own T&Cs he states to select the correct address in PayPal... But then he refused to allow payment of the extra shipping charges via PayPal, fully refunded the PayPal amount and then insisted on wiring the full amount of the order. I guess this is to get around the PayPal order dispute option when he pockets the payment.

#134 5 years ago

Has anyone here actually managed to make contact with him in the last couple of weeks or so? Maybe he has already gone bankrupt.

#135 5 years ago

I order internationally from them and always found their service great. They reply to emails quickly too every time I have needed to get in touch. Funny some seem to have problems but all I can say is they have been great and always seem to have hard to find stuff.

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

I order internationally from them and always found their service great. They reply to emails quickly too every time I have needed to get in touch. Funny some seem to have problems but all I can say is they have been great and always seem to have hard to find stuff.

Anything recently? Where are you ordering to? I've had one email from them since I wired over the payment. Haven't heard back for more than two weeks.

#137 5 years ago

Is that a reason to hold up processing or something, no, but I can see how it could be a huge pain in the ass.

hey, so why isnt it such a huge pain in the ass problem with all the other US vendors.? like i said, ive had silky smooth transactions with baa, pbresource, pinball decals, pinball life and marcos. and im sure lots of other international customers have had the same experience. if you cant deal with, or manage international shipping... DONT DO IT

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from charsiufan:

Yes I did check that before I placed the order. No disputing these T&Cs. It did however take a month for him to respond with details on how to pay the extra charges.
Even in his own T&Cs he states to select the correct address in PayPal... But then he refused to allow payment of the extra shipping charges via PayPal, fully refunded the PayPal amount and then insisted on wiring the full amount of the order. I guess this is to get around the PayPal order dispute option when he pockets the payment.

he shouldnt have cancelled your paypal payment in the first place. not good. no where in his terms and conditions does it state, that paypal is not accepted.

#139 5 years ago

No but then I would have cancelled the order and got my money back. This way I'll have to wait until next time I'm in NJ (probably over the summer) and go down and visit him. He did offer to give me the parts if I went down to Brick when I was in NJ in April but I was 1.5 hours drive north of Brick and didn't really plan on having the time to make the journey.

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

hey, so why isnt it such a huge pain in the ass problem with all the other US vendors.? like i said, ive had silky smooth transactions with baa, pbresource, pinball decals, pinball life and marcos. and im sure lots of other international customers have had the same experience. if you cant deal with, or manage international shipping... DONT DO IT

International shipping is getting BETTER in the fact many countries now scan upon acceptance and delivery in the foreign country. No doubt there is more to go through shipping overseas, customs and the time and more lost packages, but because some countries don't scan at all, it costs more to mail because you pay for insurance. In the PayPal world, if you can't prove delivery, the buyer wins in every case.

Those countries are: Australia, Israel, Belgium, Italy, Brazil, Latvia, Canada, Lithuania, Croatia, Luxembourg, Denmark, Malaysia, Estonia, Malta, Finland, Netherlands, France, New Zealand, Germany, Portugal, Gibraltar,
Singapore, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Spain, Hungary, Switzerland

2 weeks later
#141 5 years ago

so any luck with receiving the goods ?

#142 5 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Well, even though you are totally right I know for our company, this is an enormous red flag. I would now kick myself for being stupid if I ordered and our parts didn't arrive. If it is simply an issue of them not wanting to ship international it is a simple issue of not takng the orders then. We are out and we used to order a lot. It's all good until it isn't, as they say. Hard to believe he is not aware of this thread and hasn't reponded if he has a good reason for accepting orders and not shipping.

#143 5 years ago
Quoted from charsiufan:

Has anyone here actually managed to make contact with him in the last couple of weeks or so? Maybe he has already gone bankrupt.

Or maybe he is on vacation.

#144 5 years ago

If someone from overseas is here on Pinside, just ask and have someone here buy the item and then ship it to you.

#145 5 years ago

Have someone buy it elsewhere.

Otherwise, you're supporting the problem!

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Have someone buy it elsewhere.

If it's not available elsewhere...

#147 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

If it's not available elsewhere...

MAD isn't making this stuff himself

I've done without in the past when a particular vendor was the only source for something.

But, I realize I'm just one person, and some others will feel differently about this than I do.

3 months later
#148 4 years ago

Thought I should close the loop on this one. Eventually sent a note to our friends at MAD Amusements asking if there was any plan to send the products and if not to send the money back. Got a very quick reply telling me the delays were all my fault and the goods were ready to go. They were dispatched 24 hours later. The parts were well packed and everything was there as promised. No gummi bears though

1 week later
#149 4 years ago

Dear Pinsiders, this gentleman Mike should be on the verge of a nervous breakdown. (not know how to spell it in english)
Despite living in Brazil, I bought at the MAD site but asked for shipping to an address in Illinois. It is a national or international business for He. Does not matter!
I made the payment by PayPal and I was waiting for the shipping information.
The Mike (or JD) just simply canceled the purchase, and not satisfied, He canceled my username and password. I sent an email asking why these actions.
See the sympathetic response of the master;
"As mentioned in our terms and conditions, Which you have agreed to have read by ordering through our website. We reserve the right to decline or stock limit orders at our discretion. "

Seemed an inadequate response to one post sales service, but I answered as follows;
"I have no doubt about that, but what is the problem?
Because my site registration was canceled too? .... "

Then the house fell! (not know in english)
The nobleman replied as follows; "We do not need to Provide an explanation to why we took the actions Estes. Our terms are our terms and we reserve the right to decline orders and disable accounts at our discretion."

So I could not restrain myself responding in this way; "I now understand the origin of the name of your company. MAD Lord, i have never been so mistreated by a seller. I wanted to buy the product advertised on the internet. Only that!
And more; I always felt very prestigious during my visits to your country. I regret your behavior, man. Be happy anyway!"

For the record:
We're talking about parts for pinball, only this. A small purchase of USD50.00.
So, CAUTION gentlemen interested in doing business with Mads!

Beware of MADs!

#150 4 years ago

I'm in!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.95
$ 299.00
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 269.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 269.99
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 24.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 11.95
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 14.95
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.00
Cabinet Parts
Pappy's Pinball Palace
There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside