5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

stern_mustang_war.jpg
    robowar.jpg
    stern_mustang.jpg
    image-508.jpg
    image-475.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    169825.jpg
    image-35-933.jpg
    image-22-414.jpg
    image-D6.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    funhouse.jpg
    addams.jpg

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

So, I know that Tron and Congo have similar layouts (which puts me out of the market for a Tron because I love my Congo too much). What other machines have similar or almost identical layouts? (I was thinking IJ and LOTR because of the Path of the Dead/Path of Adventure, but not much else lines up, so never mind...)

#4 5 years ago

Striker extreme and the nfl pins .My striker is only worth $1300 and the same game with nfl logos is worth 5k ...

#5 5 years ago

I got one.

Shriek and Family Guy.

#6 5 years ago

Whirlwind / Jurassic Park
    Theatre Of Magic / X-Files
    Austin Powers / Iron Man
    AC/DC / Terminator 2

Quoted from beelzeboob:

So, I know that Tron and Congo have similar layouts (which puts me out of the market for a Tron because I love my Congo too much).

I see Tron's layout as more of a combination of the left side of Congo's playfield & the right side of Funhouse's playfield.

#7 5 years ago

I presume you aren't talking about many Gottlieb EMs where there were games with different names (one regular, one AAB) that shared the same layout, like Melody and Sing Along. There are dozens (hundreds?) of examples.

#8 5 years ago

SM and ST have similar layouts, but play very differently.

#9 5 years ago

I don't think that Congo should automatically make you opt to not get Tron. With few exceptions, even if layouts are very similar, they still play totally different. You can only arrange a playfield so many different ways...

As for the few that I think are extremely similar...

Striker Xtreme *is* NFL.
    Family Guy *is* Shrek.
    Pinbot *is* Jackbot.
    Austin Powers *is almost* Iron Man. (Or, is Iron Man LE as I often joke.)
    LOTR *is almost* Sopranos, and even that might not be close enough to bug me - but I don't like LOTR, so I don't have to worry about that.

Beyond those five, I had Whirlwind and JP next to each other for a while without issue. Very similar layouts, gameplay so different that it doesn't bother me at all.

#10 5 years ago

Wizard! and Stingray and Stingray is by far the better game. Own both. Each have their place. Stingray though is one of the best ever...

#11 5 years ago

I think TRON has a similar layout to White Water but with a reversed upper flipper. My wife says nay, but she hates White Water.

#12 5 years ago

Williams system 7 solar fire is nearly a exact match to williams system 11 grand lizard

#13 5 years ago

I think Laser Cue and Alien Poker are the same layout, and maybe even the same rules, but I haven't played Laser Cue.

#15 5 years ago

I'm hoping the graphics geniuses come out of the woodwork and mock up some overlay GIFs...

#17 5 years ago

transformers is johnny mnemonic

#18 5 years ago

someone just made this exact same thread like 6 months ago.

Nothing is closer to Jackbot and Pinbot.

LOTR and TF. TF is just flipped over version of LOTR.

#19 5 years ago

Williams Grand Lizard and Jungle Lord, they were next to each other at last year's Newcastle Pinfest and were similar

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

someone just made this exact same thread like 6 months ago.
    LOTR and TF. TF is just flipped over version of LOTR.

Sorry about that...I searched but couldn't find anything. Thought it would be an interesting food for thought topic...

#22 5 years ago

Move the skull to the middle and T2=ST....same...........Joey

#23 5 years ago

Almost all the Sterns are playfield clones. Not saying that's a bad thing, necessarily...

#25 5 years ago

Flash, High Speed, High Speed 2 and No Fear have a similar feel with the third flipper and loop.

#26 5 years ago

I heard people compare X-Men with Stargate before it was released. I would say I see a lot of layout similarities between X-Men and Frankenstein. The shots more than where the shots actually end up.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Almost all the Sterns are playfield clones. Not saying that's a bad thing, necessarily...

So you think wheel of fortune is a clone of t3, is a clone of xmen, which is a clone of family guy and wpt? Sterns have as much variety as any other game. Sorry (you might be a smart guy) but this is kind of an idiotic statement lol.

#28 5 years ago

Williams Flash & Data East Secret Service

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Except Shrek and Family Guy.

Also, I forgot NBA and Space Jam as being incredibly similar.

#31 5 years ago

LW3 / T2

Skateball / Flash

Warlok / Blackout

#32 5 years ago

Mousin Around and Road Kings are very similar in layout and play. Hit the targets to lock 2 balls and then timed shots to lock 2 balls again and then go for the jackpot.

#33 5 years ago

MB = MM = AFM = LotR

STTNG = ST

CV = ToM (reversed)

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Because they both have basketballs. I kid, I kid...I'm actually not familiar with either of those games.

But THESE, I'm familiar with...and I just don't see that familiarity in PFs outside of the Starship Enterprise.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Yes and no. At this point I don't blame them for not taking the risk of something new. Seems like every time they go out on a limb the game is not received well by the pinheads. For instance: WOF, AV, Mustang all have very unique playfields and not one is well loved. You could argue code or theme but still, the PF was not well received either at first.

I'm really surprised there isn't more comparison with X-men and Tron. Make the magneto shot a disc and they feel almost identical to me but just reversed.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin-pimp:

Williams system 7 solar fire is nearly a exact match to williams system 11 Grand Lizard

Not even close IMHO. Grand lizard has a single playfield. Black Knight is much closer to Solar Fire.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Because they both have basketballs. I kid, I kid...I'm actually not familiar with either of those games.

They based the layout of NBA on the layout of Space Jam, but then cut some of the costly wireforms and whatnot out of it and added a VUK-ish type shot that fires the ball across the playfield into the hoop that is really visually stunning.

NBA is a great game in my opinion, even though it appears to be the 'cut down' version of the game. Space Jam I don't like at all. Regardless, considering the ramps and about 3/4ths of the playfield are exactly identical, I wouldn't think you would want both in the same collection.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

But THESE, I'm familiar with...and I just don't see that familiarity in PFs outside of the Starship Enterprise.

Funny - actually i think the Enterprise (or whatever the new ship is called) is the only thing not completely similar!

Let me see, on STTNG there's a middle Starship main shot - in ST there's a middle Starship main shot.
    Next to it on the left the alpha-ramp is leading straight to the left flipper, same ramp, same location, it even has the SAME NAME!
    Next to it on the right a standup Target, same on both machines. Next to that on the right is the beta-ramp, same spot, same name on both.
    Next to it the right looplane ending with the right upper flipper, check, same on STTNG & ST.
    Further on the right ST has 3 Targets, not the same but similar to STTNG.
    The Neutral Zone is missing on ST because it's not a widebody and doesn't have the space, but at least the 3 Targets from STTNG are there, they just moved a little and are now to the left of the warp ramp - which itself is placed exactly where the delta quadrant ramp in STTNG is.
    Right loop of course is similar.
    ST then has a saucer/VUK on the far left side...now that's a big difference!!!
    And it has just 2 targets on the left while STTNG has 3.

Looking at it, appart from the neutral zone, the left VUK/saucer and the ending of the delta/warp ramp these designes are more than only similar.

Don't get me wrong, i like both pins a lot and they play very differently but playfield layout doesn't get any more similar than with these two - except Family Guy and Shrek...

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

So you think Wheel of Fortune is a clone of t3, is a clone of xmen, which is a clone of Family Guy and wpt? Sterns have as much variety as any other game. Sorry (you might be a smart guy) but this is kind of an idiotic statement lol.

Uh, not of EACH OTHER...of other games. ALMOST all. Just look at this thread. Most of the playfields are clones. But at this point in time how can they not be? There's only so much you can do with limited space. It's not a bad thing, as I mentioned, but somehow I'M the idiot?

OK.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Sorry about that...I searched but couldn't find anything. Thought it would be an interesting food for thought topic...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-designers-ever-borrow-ideas-from-other-designers

also

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/duplicate-playfields

viperrwk

Post edited by viperrwk: Added another thread discussing this.

#42 5 years ago

Target Alpha / Solar City / Eldorado / Canada Dry / Gold Strike

Pioneer / Spirit of '76 / New York

And about a hundred other pairs of 2 and 4 player EMs.

#43 5 years ago

XM is reversed Tron

ST is SM but for a few changes such as left lock.

#44 5 years ago

JP is part Addams, Part Funhouse in reverse. But in all honesty, Addams is Funhouse in reverse. Only difference is that Lawlor can do that and get away with it because he came up with it to begin with.

addams.jpg

funhouse.jpg

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

JP is part Addams, Part Funhouse in reverse. But in all honesty, Addams is Funhouse in reverse. Only difference is that Lawlor can do that and get away with it because he came up with it to begin with.

Nah, both those games are ripoffs of Flash! )

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Except Shrek and Family Guy.

yea, that too.

#47 5 years ago

Diner and AC/DC are pretty similar

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from beepnutz:

Mousin Around and Road Kings are very similar in layout and play. Hit the targets to lock 2 balls and then timed shots to lock 2 balls again and then go for the jackpot.

Givin' up some love for the Road Kings! Nice to see....."you'll be back, jack!"

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Never noticed how the left scoop area on JP is identical to WW, but there it is.

#50 5 years ago

same shots
    image-D6.jpgimage-2.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 50.00
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 71.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 79.00
    € 59.80
    Lighting - Backbox
    Freddys Pinball Paradise
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 115.00
    Boards
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 12.99
    € 95.00
    Lighting - Led
    FlipperLED
    $ 35.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside