(Topic ID: 116091)

Machines that have references to other machines?

By mfresh

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Drain1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I'm doing some research into pinball machines that have references to other machines in them (like Twilight Zone, which refers to various previous Pat Lawlor games in the sound clips it plays)

Can anyone suggest any more machines, and how they refer to other machines (sound clips, art work, anything really)? Not just Pat Lawlor games, but any games really.

Any suggestions gratefully received....

Paul. Editor, Pavlov Pinball

#2 9 years ago

Junk Yard by Williams
Time Machine modes that actually run modes from other pinballs like Mamushka from The Addams Family and Video mode from Attack from Mars (shooting UFOs).

#3 9 years ago

Isn't there a midnight madness feature that pops up in several titles?Not sure how many or which games.....anybody?

#4 9 years ago

Taxi has PinBot in it.

Police Force has a picture of the limo Taxi from Taxi on the translite.

#5 9 years ago

The match sequence at the end of Scared Stiff plays audio clips from several great 90's W/B pins as Elvira is changing the channels of the TV. Also, the "Corn Men From Mars" book (or whatever the title is) on the back glass is a reference to Attack from Mars.

Judge Dredd and Theatre of Magic have references to the "Move Your Car" mode in CFTBL.

I'm sure there's much more.

#6 9 years ago

Whirlwind has an I80 logo that says "visit the fault" which is a reference to Earthshaker. I believe that Funhouse also has a similar reference about Kansas which would refer to Whirlwind.

#7 9 years ago

Bally Champ.

#8 9 years ago

In the Taxi backglass the characters are on the sidewalk next to Williams Pinball Palace. In the window is a sign saying: Play now the greatest pinball games: Cyclone, Pin-Bot, Space Station, High Speed, Banzai Run, Comet & Big Guns.

On the Bally Champ backglass a row of pinball machines is featured, including a Bally Champ. Can't tell what other games are in there.

Capcom's Pinball Magic is featured on the backglass of Pinball Magic.

When making all 9 holes on Ticket Tac Toe the display shows fragments of display animations from lots of B/W pinball games

The Party Zone has the characters from Party Animal, Dr Dude, Elvira and the Party Monsters on the backglass (see Pinball Magazine No. 2 for more details on that).

Jack-Bot has obviously references to Pin-Bot (playfield) and The Machine: Bride of Pinbot.

The junkyard character on Junk Yard is the same character as on Mousin Around.

Elvira's shadow / sillouette is included on the Monster Bash backglass

On the DE Tommy playfield Tommy is playing a Tommy pinball machine featuring himself

On the backglass of Captain Fantastic Elton John's character is playing a Wizard pinball machine, although the backglass is not the same as Bally's Wizard.

I think it was Sega's Golden Cue that has an upside down text on the display in attract mode that can be read when watching it in the playfield glass. As the story goes (at least how I heard it) that was put in to let B/W designers know Sega's people knew something about the upcoming Pinball 2000 system.

"Again" is used in several B/W games, not sure which one was the first.

#9 9 years ago

NGG quotes:

Bud: "Now, head for the cellar!"
Buzz: "You're in the wrong game, idiot!"

Bud: "Everybody, head underground now!"
Buzz: "Now you're really in the wrong game!"

#10 9 years ago

TZ's invader is used in Jackbot's match sequence. Also when you cheat in Jackbot at one point Pinbot says "Look there's Rudy" and the Bride will say "Where?".

#11 9 years ago

Party Zone makes references to Elvira and the Party Monsters, Dr. Dude, and Party Animal.

#12 9 years ago

Lots of data east games have references or commercials for future releases on the dmd in attract mode.

#13 9 years ago

DE sound bites run all over each other.

Taxi is the first machine that comes to mind on the cross overs.

#14 9 years ago

Rudy appears in where's striker.

Hitting same Martian over end over displays NF skull who says "Again!."

Match sequence in SS.

#15 9 years ago

PotC has the tidal wave from White Water.

#16 9 years ago

WCS: if you make it to TV Award #4 there are animations from other machines such as CFTBL AND STTNG
Check the Easter Eggs listings for various machines in the IPDB if you haven't already.
Will prove helpful.

#18 9 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic has a couple:
- When you combo a couple of orbit shots in quick succession, you see the skull from No Fear and hear "AGAIN!"
- When you start Frenzy mode you hear Rudy from Funhouse shout "FRENZY!" and then laugh maniacally.

#19 9 years ago

I had a few friends over the other night and I think I heard my TOM say "Move your car" unless it was Shadow?

#20 9 years ago

Guns N Roses refers to some Circus Pinball by Data East that never came out. It says "Coming Soon" but i've never heard of it.

#21 9 years ago

Roadshow is FULL of referernces;

- Several modes feature the little extra ball robot from TZ
- One of the wheel awards is "Bad Weather" which references the Whirlwind bunker
- Crazy Bob is the owner of the souvenir shop
- Sometimes the souvenir shop sign quotes Funhouse Rudy with "Frenzy! Bwa ha ha!"

Later,
EV

#22 9 years ago

Pin*Bot shows up everywhere.

He's also on Comet's playfield. I've been trying to inspect as many Python designs as possible, b/c I have an idea he's on EVERY PF that he designed, somewhere!

#23 9 years ago

Couple more off the top of my head

RBION, "Its not plugged in yet" callout as a reference to Lawlors other game, Lol the name escapes me, must have been one his less successful titles and certainly NOT my favorite game or best selling game of all time,

and Goldeneye actually uses the same T-Rex animation as the T-Rex bounty in Jurassic Park if you shoot Bond during the skill shot (amongst other animations which are quite funny)

I know there is tons more from games I played

#24 9 years ago

MM has the skull from no fear, and the occasional mortal kombat call outs. BoP 2.0 has a move your shuttle mode.

#25 9 years ago

- The duck from The Shadow and the snack bar owner from Creature from the Black Lagoon appear during Satellite Transfer in Congo.
- The sound effect for the RIP Jackpot in WWF is the Cryptkeeper's laugh from Tales from the Crypt.
- I believe the animations in Road Trip from RBION are borrowed from Roadshow
- In Medieval Madness if you combo the ramps enough the Skull from NF appears and says "Again!"
- After completing Ringmaster Battle in Cirqus Voltaire lots of screens and animations appear seconds after each other. One of the screens is from Pinball Circus

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

He's also on Comet's playfield. I've been trying to inspect as many Python designs as possible, b/c I have an idea he's on EVERY PF that he designed, somewhere!

Cyclone or Comet? I don't recall seeing him on Comet during the restore I did. I'd love it if he were on there and I didn't known.

#27 9 years ago

Crazy Bob shows up in at least a few games, namely NBAFB, JM, Roadshow, and Junkyard.

Which begs the question: who is/was Crazy Bob? Anyone know the back story?

#28 9 years ago

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle has a delorean from Back to the Future (also a Data East game) painted on the playfield next to the WABAC machine.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

I had a few friends over the other night and I think I heard my TOM say "Move your car" unless it was Shadow?

I think it happens during the Hat Trick and on the 3rd one he pulls the girl from CFTBL out of the hat instead of the rabbit.

#30 9 years ago

Taxi and F-14 share the same Gorbachev "Hey!" call out.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from supercombo:

Crazy Bob shows up in at least a few games, namely NBAFB, JM, roadshow, and junkyard.
Which begs the question: who is/was Crazy Bob? Anyone know the back story?

Not sure where he came from, but besides being in all those games he was also the main villain in Mousin Around (he's on the translite).

By the way, Crazy Bob's Cyberspace Emporium (which is the reference from JM) was an actual location in the movie ("Crazy Bob's Computer Shop") that's where Keeanu breaks into the closed store with the girl and they grab all the tech to "get on the net" (which among other things he lists off as needing was a "Thompson Iphone") hehe.

#32 9 years ago

TZ also has a Rudy callout during one of the Clock modes, can't remember which one. If you hit the clock like 6 or 8 times, you hear Rudy say, "Quit playing with the clock!"

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Cyclone or Comet? I don't recall seeing him on Comet during the restore I did. I'd love it if he were on there and I didn't known.

He's there. Just to the right of the Extra Ball insert before the corkscrew ramp!

#34 9 years ago

Cactus Jack appears in a Cue Ball Wizard video mode.

#35 9 years ago

On the Junk Yard backglass, you can see Tony's Palace (from Who Dunnit).

#36 9 years ago

Early 80's games like EBD use the same sounds that were used in William's video games of the same era.

#37 9 years ago

TOM references TOTAN

#38 9 years ago

1967 Gottlieb Super Score. Has pinball machines in the backglass art. The main part of the glass shows girls playing a Super Score.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

He's there. Just to the right of the Extra Ball insert before the corkscrew ramp!

That's pretty cool! Before the game was even made.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=548&picno=36562&zoom=1

#40 9 years ago

Crazy Bob was also slated to be a boxer in Champion Pub.

Stern's Mustang pin has a few references. An alien from Attack from Mars appears in one of the DMD animations.

#41 9 years ago

TZ fast lock mode has callouts from previous pat lawlor games.

TAF cousin it
Whirlwind return to your homes
Funhouse hey it's only pinball
banzi Run It's sunny drive time

#42 9 years ago

JD has the move your car callout from CFTBL

#43 9 years ago

Bop 2.0 has the move your shuttle mode (move your car from cftbl).

#44 9 years ago

Entering 8556 flipper-code on ST:TNG shows 14 Steve Ritchie games with sound and animation.

#45 9 years ago

Thanks people for all your responses... Please keep them coming!
Paul Editor - Pavlov Pinball

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Entering 8556 flipper-code on ST:TNG shows 14 Steve Ritchie games with sound and animation.

elaborate plz...

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

elaborate plz...

oke

All 21 ST:TNG Secret Codes Revealed
These codes are valid for LX-7 (the last known ROM revision).
These codes may be entered in attract mode OR game mode!
For the Secret Video Mode code, it MUST be entered in game mode for it
to take effect.
All codes are 4 digits in length.
To enter any of these codes, do these steps:
1) Hit BOTH flippers, simultaneously, to clear the code memory

2a) Repeat steps 2b and 2c for each of the four digits, in order:

2b) Repeatedly hit the LEFT flipper the given number of times (for instance,
if the current code digit is 5, hit the left flipper five times) - note that this
may be zero times!

2c) Hit the RIGHT flipper, ONCE, to lock the code digit into memory and
advance to the next digit

3) When done with all four digits, hit the RIGHT flipper, ONCE more, to
activate the code So, for example, the code for 0248 (Secret Video Mode) is
BRLLRLLLLRLLLLLLLLRR (with "B" meaning to hit both flippers simultaneously).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0516 CHANGE RULES AS NEEDED. -DAMMIT
0673 HI TED

1165 HELLO DOC X

1167 THE BORG ARE REAL PARTY ANIMALS (with graphic)

1890 HI ZAP

2135 HIYA SEXY I LOVE YOU (with graphic)

2594 HI DAN

2614 HI BILL

3333 HELLO WORLD

3391 HI TRACEY

0248 Secret Video Mode! (when used in-game it enables Secret Video Mode
instead of Poker With Riker, until end of game. (To get Poker With Riker, get to
the "25 Million Or Shuttle Simulation" mode, then hit the right flipper WHILE
holding in the trigger.) In a multiplayer game, if one player enters the code, it
will not affect other players (they will need to enter the code on their own).
When used in attract mode it just flickers the display and restarts the current
attract mode sequence, without having any other effect.)

4907 MATTHEW C. CORIALE (with graphic) (this is not the MCC of high
score initials fame, that would be Marc Conant)

5949 HI CAB

6969 HI DOHO

1477 HELLO XAQERY I'VE MISSED YOU

8118 SUPER GAME RULES
(feel free to speculate on the relation of this game to Judge Dredd)

8148 HI GEORGE

8556 Sequence of 14 Steve Ritchie games, up to and including ST:TNG!
(with sound and graphic for each game)

9089 HI JASON

9223 HI TEX

9876 GOOD LUCK LED

All of these codes (except for HI JASON, see below) have been tested and
verified on VPinMAME using LX-7 ROM. If you are having trouble entering
codes, please take care to enter them quickly and steadily. If you are too
fast, slow, or inconsistent, the code will not be properly received by the game.
Perhaps there's a bug in handling a second digit of zero, since HI JASON is
the only code that does this. If anyone's curious, these codes are listed at
offset 0xC0E2 in the ROM. Each code is a 16-bit number, big endian, made
up of four 4-bit hex digits, going from left to right. In other words, the codes
can be plainly seen by just visually looking at a hex dump of the ROM! Enjoy!

#48 9 years ago

Best I can tell, that's the earliest known rendition of Pin*Bot. I was FLOORED when I brought home Comet last week and he was on the PF!!

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

Junk Yard by Williams
Time Machine modes that actually run modes from other pinballs like Mamushka from The Addams Family and Video mode from Attack from Mars (shooting UFOs).

AND "MOVE YOUR CAR" from CFTBL

#50 9 years ago

Who dunnit and Shadow have the same callout.
"Most impressive"

Comet, cyclone, hurricane, pinbot, taxi, badcats Are all connected by art and some callouts/sounds.
Eg. Cat screech, screams on roller coaster, roller coasters. pinbot voice, taxi horn, playfield art etc.
Gorby on taxi. Reagan on cyclone.
Roller coaster tycoon. Dunk the dummy mode like hurricane.
Spookhouse with dracaula callout on cyclone, roller coaster tycoon and taxi has drac.

Rudy callout in JM.

Crazy bob. In NBA fastbreak, JM, junkyard and Mousin around.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
£ 38.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machines-that-have-references-to-other-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.