Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mcshaney
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017-03-16 13.02.18 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 039 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 038 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 037 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 035 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 031 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 027 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 025 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 023 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 022 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 020 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 018 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 015 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 012 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 011 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 010 (resized).jpg
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago

In the early days of me collecting there was a $400 Pin-Bot on Craigslist that had "cabinet damage", just needed a little fixing and would be good to go. One of my good friends to this day bought it as I didn't have the money (but loved the title) and sold it for what it goes for normally eventually. Game booted after some chip cleaning. Grrrrrr.

#52 7 years ago

Missed out on Raven project pin just last night, it was on Ebay, machine was about 15 miles from where I work and the winning bid was a whopping $188 !

3 months later
    #53 6 years ago

Last night an al's garage band was on north jersey Craigslist for $225

#54 6 years ago

I missed out on a free IJ about 4 years ago...

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mcshaney:

Last night an al's garage band was on north jersey Craigslist for $225

Was that you on the phone?

#56 6 years ago

Found a woman selling a RBION for $400 on Facebook.

I asked "are you absolutely sure you're asking $400?" She replied "yup. Kids don't play it anymore, and I want to paint the room."

Thinking it's a scam, I do a bit of Facebook stalking on her. Turns out, she's one of those "desperate housewives." Filthy rich, and wanted to get the game out of the house.

Now, I do not under any circumstances condone taking advantage of anyone, and I don't want to sound like I was trying to do so here, so I replied yet again "if you're indeed selling the game for $400, I'll take it. No questions asked."

She replies, "Please do, I want it gone. Here's my address: 'xxxxx' just get here by 5pm because I have a dinner date in NYC."

I say, "on my way." (She's 2 hours north of me).

While stopping at the bank, I check with her again that the deal is still on. I certainly don't want to drive all that time for nothing. She says "I think there's a problem. Probably not worth your time."

I say, "if it doesn't work, I don't mind. I can fix them!"

She goes, "no, my husband just told me he'd rather keep it now. Sorry, I hope I didn't waste your time. Glad I caught you before you were too deep into the trip."

I said "No worries. If you decide to sell it later, please let me know." She finally responds "I will! Thanks." And that was that. Had I been more local, and quicker, I think I'd have had the game in my basement; but alas: it was the game that got away.

#57 6 years ago

Well, about 10 years ago I was working on a deal with someone I knew from work that used to run an arcade machine route locally in the late 80's and early 90's.

Everything he had needed work to some degree (some needing much more than others) but everything he had was complete.

The deal started off with him giving me two arcade machines that he had just sitting in a corner of his parent's back porch. Exposed to the weather, but covered to keep dry I took a rough Centipede and a decent Operation Wolf.

The big score was a double-wide storage locker full of "arcade machines". He said there was a couple of pins, but he couldn't remember them. He said he did have notable games like Pac-Man, Dragons Lair, Street Fighter II...etc. I was in the process of talking him into letting me see the locker so I could make an offer to take it. He really wanted to no longer have to pay the monthly rent on the storage units.

During this time, he was suddenly fired from work. Something about he was supposed to sell some equipment and after awhile he claimed he couldn't find a buyer so he bought the equipment. It was rumored after he was fired that he had a buyer, and that he sold that equipment afterwards for a profit.

I never heard from him again. But I did get two machines out of it. I still have both of them, I'm gathering parts now to restore the Centipede later this fall. Maybe I'll do Op Wolf after it.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Was that you on the phone

No it was not me did you do a prank ad

#59 6 years ago

No, I was picking up the machine when another call came in.

#60 6 years ago

Congrats on the pickup then Ron. Another man's missed opportunity is another man's deal in the pinball hobbie you could say.

#61 6 years ago

Thanks, after reading this thread (probably that day or the day before ) I decided to be even more vigilant, and boom! it just showed up.

The seller said calls were coming in like crazy and someone offered more to not sell it to me.

Thankfully the seller was a terrific guy. 1.5 hour drive to find out someone undercut you would have sucked.

When I was there, that guy had called back again, so I'm happy the loading process had begun.

#62 6 years ago

Unfortunately that happens a lot too in this hobbie it depends on the person who sells it and if they are really worried what they get out of it .

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machines-that-got-away/page/2?hl=niterider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.