2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mcshaney
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 21 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2017-03-16 13.02.18 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 039 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 038 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 037 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 035 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 031 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 027 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 025 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 023 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 022 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 020 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 018 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 015 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 012 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 011 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 010 (resized).jpg

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Share some stories about machines that barely missed out on. For me medieval madness for $2300 , simpsons pinball party for a $1000 and a DE startrek for $650.

#2 2 years ago

Missed a Data East WWF at a garage sale for 2 or $300 , a Robo war for $700, and a tx sector for $900 some may say the price was to much on the last 2 but I would have been happy.

#3 2 years ago

NGG on CL for $1200, Sorcerer for $1000, Indy500 for $2000.... all of these in the last 6 months.

#4 2 years ago

I've usually bitten when I see a good deal. My problem is some of the ones I have sold never thinking about what they might do in the future.

I had an almost perfect TZ I sold for $2900. I never thought ANYONE would pay more than that for a TZ. When I paid $2300 for it, people thought I was crazy.

I also sold a Fathom for around 2k which was beautiful. Again, nobody was ever going to convince me that a Bally SS game would ever go for more.

#5 2 years ago

A few years back before I really had a good grasp of market prices, I visited someone who listed a bunch of games for sale for top dollar at the time, and they also had a nice JD for $900 that needed some repairs. I was accustomed to paying maybe $200-$500 for a game that needed work, but considering what JD's actually were going for then (and even more now), I keep kicking myself since it's a title I was (and still am) interested in.

#6 2 years ago

I had the opportunity to acquire any of Tarapin99's collection. But I ran out of money.

#7 2 years ago

whitewater ....... Multiple times

#8 2 years ago

My worst three regrets were: I sold my Transporter The Rescue for $800. I paid $200 for it and just had to shop it so thought I was making good money. Second was a guy called me that needed cash quick and offered me 3 machines for $3500. I had the money but didn't like DMD games at the time so passed. The three gams were------- Scared Stiff, CV and creech. Last was just as bad. Had an operator that I bought stuff from who had a home use only MB that he bought for his kids. Said they didn't play it and offered it to me before he was going put it on route. Wanted $4000 I passed???? Oh and almost forgot about the $2500 mint condition MM another guy offered me and passed on that too. Yeah my life really sucks when I think about these mistakes.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

The three gams were------- Scared Stiff, CV and creech. Last was just as bad. Had an operator that I bought stuff from who had a home use only MB that he bought for his kids. Said they didn't play it and offered it to me before he was going put it on route. Wanted $4000 I passed???? Oh and almost forgot about the $2500 mint condition MM another guy offered me and passed on that too.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mcshaney:

Share some stories about machines that barely missed out on.

Not too long ago on an op raid, an Attack From Mars, fully shopped (operator shopped, so just a wipe down), fully working, no wear spots, excellent condition, $2,100. I had the money in my pocket, I had the vehicle to transport it. I turned it down. I called less than 24 hours later after I realized what I had done. It was sold!

#11 2 years ago

Before my stroke and 3 brain surgeries a friend had an amazing Mephisto. Not the greatest game but beautiful...

It's gone now. Probably never even see it again but I got one picture.

image (resized).jpeg

#12 2 years ago

NIB NGG for $1500 in '97 .... but I did get a NIB CV for almost the same price - I just didn't have room in the SUV for two games.

#13 2 years ago

Target Alpha. It was going to be my first game, and it was gorgeous. I was too naive to know how nice it was, so I passed. My fear was of getting ripped off (because I had heard people usually get ripped off on their first game). I've looked at other copies of TA over the years, but none of them have ever fit the bill. I have a project Solar City, but that is second fiddle to me.

#14 2 years ago

back when i was first getting into the hobby, around 2012 (yeah i'm a noob compared to many of you!) i wanted a pin, but being my first time, i was pretty tentative. i texted back and forth with someone over a $2800 Addams Family that was in pretty nice shape. anyway, long story short, i waffled and wavered for so long and asked so many questions that eventually the person sold it to someone else. i should have been more decisive, but i didn't know very much about the hobby or the market at the time. oh well.

#15 2 years ago

I had only been in the hobby a couple months when I came across an Eight Ball Deluxe, the '84 "nice cowboy" version, on CL for 1600. It was nice but needed a thorough cleaning and shopping, and I talking the owner down to 1100. Came back the next day and like an idiot I hemmed and hawed and finally passed on it because what I now assume was just a sticky switch was racking up points without the ball hitting anything, but to my mind then this was a huge problem. Came to my senses later that week but it was already gone. Sounds a bit like pezpunk's story above.

And then just a few months ago there was the $700 Flash Gordon that Crispin clued me in on, with some sort of board issue. I passed like a dope, and he went it picked it up after all, and it was in much better condition than I had thought it would be. Duh.

#16 2 years ago

In the same week on Craigslist a couple years ago, a Theatre of Magic for 1000 and a two-pin deal...Simpsons Pinball Party and Judge Dredd for 2500. Missed them both.
    Oh and last year a STTNG popped up for 1500. I called, it rang and rang no answer. a few minutes later the guy called me back and told me he had answered the phone about 15 seconds before I called and sold it to that lucky jerk. Missed it by literally seconds.

#17 2 years ago

2002 - Earthshaker Proto With Sinking Institute for $800 in nice shape. I was in IL and it was in NJ. Couldn't get there in time and seller would not ship!

#18 2 years ago

One I missed - NIB Cactus Canyon $1900

One I sold (like a fool) - EATPM that was HUO with like 300 plays. Bought for $1000, sold for $1800.

#19 2 years ago

Had a chance to buy a williams joust for 800 back in the day,It was complete but in fixer upper condition,Was afraid I would never be able to get it running and passed.By far the worst pinball decision of my life!

Overall_view (resized).png

#20 2 years ago

Last I regret was a few years ago, someone contacted me about a Fathom they had for sale. Told them I'd buy it for $100, and they put it online a few hours later for $150 and a friend saw and bought it immediately. Still happy it went to someone I know..
    Most of the people that contact me just want to get a price quote to sell it somewhere else, so usually I don't offer much as it's almost games I'm not really looking for or have space / time for at that time.

1 week later
    #21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Brian541:

Had a chance to buy a williams joust for 800 back in the day,It was complete but in fixer upper condition,Was afraid I would never be able to get it running and passed.By far the worst pinball decision of my life!

A buddy of mine bought a joust in pretty good condition about 5 years ago for $400.00. Some guy needed money bad and didnt care what it was worth.

#22 2 years ago

I missed out a great BOP for 200 last year. Ugh.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from comment23:

I missed out a great BOP for 200 last year. Ugh.

#24 2 years ago

Anything I didn't buy in the years 1999 - 2011.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Anything I didn't buy in the years 1999 - 2011.

Amen brother !!!

#26 2 years ago

Went to a garage sale to look at this 8 ball. When I got there I couldn't believe my eyes. A true HUO Bally 8 ball. Struck a deal with the nephew of the guy running the garage sale for $450 and paid him. I started taking apart the game and was walking out to my truck with the head in my hands, when suddenly the Uncle stopped me and said the deal was off and that the price his nephew told me was way out of range. After standing there in shock and pleading with him he handed me over my cash back and asked me to leave.

I still think of this game even though it's been over 10 years ago.

8ballNIBoct06 002 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 004 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 005 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 010 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 011 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 012 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 015 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 018 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 020 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 022 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 023 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 025 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 027 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 031 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 035 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 037 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 038 (resized).jpg
    8ballNIBoct06 039 (resized).jpg

#27 2 years ago

I have had several but the worst was an Addams Family - in my driveway for $2800 a couple years ago. I was buying lots of machines from a local flipper at the time and he had just got a new cell phone and didn't have my number in it yet. He stopped by the house on his way home from picking up this Addams Family cheap early on a Saturday morning but I was still in bed after a late night. About a half hour later he called and said "where the hell were you & why didn't you answer the door" then he proceeds to tell me he was in the driveway a little while earlier looking for a quick flip on the Addams Family he had just bought.

Sadly he sold it to another guy on his way home. That one gets to me every time I think about it!

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Went to a garage sale to look at this 8 ball. When I got there I couldn't believe my eyes. A true HUO Bally 8 ball. Struck a deal with the nephew of the guy running the garage sale for $450 and paid him. I started taking apart the game and was walking out to my truck with the head in my hands, when suddenly the Uncle stopped me and said the deal was off and that the price his nephew told me was way out of range. After standing there in shock and pleading with him he handed me over my cash back and asked me to leave.

Wow !! soooo close !! That sucks man !!

#29 2 years ago

I had two other Bally 8 balls and enjoyed for a while, but this one because of condition would have been a keeper for life. It was so nice!

#30 2 years ago

I bought a couple of these game a long time ago...But missed a lot of them!!!

This is an ad from 10 years ago. I got the MB and Shadow.

My other vehicle was in an accident the other day and need the money
    and plus I am kind of sick of the hobby in general so they will all go.
    They are all priced low compared to Mr. Pinball so I need these to
    move quick.
    Funhouse: $2200 Decent original cab with no fading at all or drill
    holes, lots of new parts installed like ramps and NOS plastic set
    playfield was clearcoated and everything else was polished and cleaned.

Whitewater: $2000 Same as Funhouse only I bought a really nice
    clearcoated lower playfield to put in and a clearcoated NOS upper
    playfield has been installed. One small chunk taken out of the haed
    but the cab is not faded or drilled. NOS translite installed. Also the
    bumbles mod has been installed also.

Creature From the Black Lagoon: $2700 This one is pretty much perfect
    all around, there is a crack in one of the ramps and thats all that I
    know of thats wrong. NOS translite installed in this also.
    Clearcoated hot pink playfield installed. Hologram is in perfect
    condition.

Medieval Madness: $5000 There are 4 screw holes in the cab side other
    than that it is a perfect cab. The playfield is very close to mint.
    This is the only one not clearcoated And the entire machine overall is
    extremely nice and all orginal.

The Shadow: $2000 Just recently completely restored. Both playfields
    have been clearcoated, new plastic set and NOS drop target installed.
    New head decals installed and new gun handle assembly. Cabinet body is
    in great shape also.

Star Trek: The Next Generation: $2100 Near mint cabinet and completely
    restored playfield. The problem with this one is the clear from PR
    didn't stick in some places and it's lifting over some inserts. New
    translite installed. I do have an NOS Star Trek playfield that I
    hadn't clearcoated yet that was signed by Steve Ritchie and I think one
    other guy that will be available to the buyer of this machine only for
    an added cost.

Monster Bash: $4500 This one we really went overboard on but it's my
    loss. Completely mint machine with NOS POPULATED playfield installed.
    I can't stress how new this machine looks. Can't say much else about
    this machine.

On alot if not all of these games the translites have been signed by
    designers and different people involved with the game.

The only pin that is an import is Funhouse the rest are all domestic
    and we have had them for years. There have been alot of new parts put
    in these machines but I just can't remember them all right now. If
    someone is interested I will go through the machines over the phone
    with them.

All prices are OBO. I have a feeling these won't last too long. First
    money in my hands gets the pin. These pins are near St. Louis MO

#31 2 years ago

Vic_Camp,

That is an awful story! In that first pic looks like a virtual table it is so pristine.
    Did they keep the game or sell it for more later?

#32 2 years ago

I wasn't too upset that day since I was pulling in 5 games per week from homes here in NJ back then and almost everyone was in excellent condition with low plays. I never was a greedy person and shrugged this lost off with ease. Never found out what happened to the game.

#33 2 years ago

Iron Man 2014 for $2500... But a buddy got the WOZ for $3000. I tried to ride his coattail into the deal and got shot down after a 2 hour drive.

This was last week.

#34 2 years ago

I still break out in cold sweats on that deal. Missed it by less than one minute.

#35 2 years ago

Funhouse $1500 CL less than 1 month ago. Whirlwind $500 CL 4 months ago. Aargh !

#36 2 years ago

Time wise, I missed out on a couple machines by just a little bit. But I actually
    literally had one get away..
    On the way back after picking up a couple solid state machines from a closed
    Theater, a Friend and I stopped at a bar (still a couple towns away from home)
    and had a few (and being back in those days, I'm sure we had a few while on the
    run also), and while leaving, he asked if he could drive. Sure. At the first out of town stop
    sign, he unexpectedly floored it while taking a left at that T. I heard movement in the
    rear and saw only one machine. I said Stop! (and not very politely), and then saw the
    other a good 30 ft. in the field. Now the legs of these machines were off. I told him to kick
    to the side and I took over. I could drive straight, but I know my blood and
    breath said that I couldn't, and got out of there fast. To who I had them traded
    to (for a couple nice Ems) asked "well what intersection? And the next day
    he grabbed what he could from the field. I'm thinking it was a Black Knight, but what ever it
    was, he wanted it badly. I only got one of the Ems, but later came up with another digital
    for the other. At the time, my Friend's couch was stored at my house, and it quickly
    became mine and still is in the game room. The couch was worth the $100.00 which
    is what I paid for each machine, but the Em that I had it traded for was worth more..
    Good memories now, but at that moment in time, my face was a tint Red..

#37 2 years ago

Guy had a cq fun house for 3gs original owner.....and at that time I thought 3gs was to much...

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

run also), and while leaving, he asked if he could drive. Sure. At the first out of town stop
    sign, he unexpectedly floored it while taking a left at that T. I heard movement in the
    rear and saw only one machine. I said Stop! (and not very politely), and then saw the
    other a good 30 ft. in the field. Now the legs of these machines were off. I told him to kick
    breath said that I couldn't, and got out of there fast

The good ole days !!

#39 2 years ago

I went and looked at a 450 buck Mars Trek last night....got there, bottom of cabinet was destroyed by moisture. Sonic games have particle board cabinets. Looked in the neck hole, saw mouse turds and lots of "stuff" and some snake skin inside the cabinet...

Hard pass.

#40 2 years ago

Early 80's, went to pick up a Captain Fantastic for $300, Guy had 3 of them set up and playable for me to choose from. Should have bought all 3

#41 2 years ago

Every game I thought about but didn't buy over the last 7 years! Oh the good ol days!

#42 2 years ago

The one that got away...
    I was looking to buy my second game, scouring cl and ebay for a local buy. So finally find a reasoably priced project, a Crescendo less than an hour away, with an opening bid of $100. I put in a top bid of $125, and waited for the auction to end on Saturday. On Friday, I'm still the high bidder, at $125. Also on that Friday, I got laid off. Now, $125 is not going to bankrupt us, my wife was lukewarm at best on the idea of having these bohemoths in her house. And the idea that her newly unemployed husband was dropping cash on non-working toys would have sent her over the edge. Saturday afternoon comes and I'm still winning and sweating out the last moments of the auction.... and Yes!!! I got sniped with 5 seconds to go. Never been happier about a loss.

Fast forward about 4 years. I've been connected with a friend of a friend of a friend in New York. He's bought two pins in Georgia and would like some help icking them up, palleting and shipping via NAVL. First was a nice quick draw. I go to the second address and meet a guy in his garage. Of course it's a non-working Crescendo. Hey, did you happen to get this game off eBay?
    Yeah, I did. Won it on a last second bid. About four years ago? $127.50?
    Yeah. How'd you know?
    Well, I've got a story for you...

#43 2 years ago

This is the best thread I have seen on this website.

#44 2 years ago

Garage sale Mystery Castle for $500. Saw ad on a Friday night for garage sale Saturday - no early sales. A NIB X-Men that I hadn't opened yet had just been delivered that afternoon, figured that was enough for the time being. Curiosity got the best of me so I reached out to the person selling MC Saturday afternoon, they'd informed me that the buyer was on their doorstep at 7:00am. I wouldn't have shown up prior to 8:00am, so wasn't meant to be.

#45 2 years ago

Gottlieb Atlantis and a Gold Strike 5 years ago. The Atlantis was listed for 550 on CL in excellent condition with slight minor p/f planking. A few measly snow flakes kept me from driving the 15 miles to go grab it. It was gone that day.

The GS was an even bigger mistake. Absolutely mint example of the game for 1100 and I saw it and had first crack at it yet still declined. Again gone next day. Doh!........

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Time wise, I missed out on a couple machines by just a little bit. But I actually
    breath said that I couldn't, and got out of there fast. To who I had them traded
    to (for a couple nice Ems) asked "well what intersection? And the next day
    he grabbed what he could from the field. I'm thinking it was a Black Knight, but what ever it
    was, he wanted it badly. I only got one of the Ems, but later came up with another digital
    for the other. At the time, my Friend's couch was stored at my house, and it quickly
    became mine and still is in the game room. The couch was worth the $100.00 which
    is what I paid for each machine, but the Em that I had it traded for was worth more..
    Good memories now, but at that moment in time, my face was a tint Red..

I had one comeback that way! Sold a really nice Silverball Mania. Guy came to pick it up in a truck. I told him several time to take the legs off. Him and his buddy through it in the back of the truck with legs on. Put one tie-down across it. They made it to the first turn and out it went. Broke the head, cab, and all the glass. Bought it back for pennies on the dollar.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Iron Man 2014 for $2500... But a buddy got the WOZ for $3000. I tried to ride his coattail into the deal and got shot down after a 2 hour drive.
    This was last week.

Then there is this week. Same machine snagged for 3G. Cost 500 more, but still very happy.

2017-03-16 13.02.18 (resized).jpg

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

and had a few (and being back in those days, I'm sure we had a few while on th

Quoted from arcademojo:

told him several time to take the legs off.

It may be difficult to recreate even if one tried, but in my case, one of the two machines jumped
    out of the truck and the legs were off. Not sure how. The tailgate remained closed.. (???)

#49 2 years ago

I missed a free Sorcerer on Craigslist last week. Competition is fierce in Indy.

#50 2 years ago

I contacted a guy about cheap gun games projects he had listed on Craigslist in my area but he said I was too late and they were gone but offered me a Jungle Lord for $400 or something, and then strung me along and eventually ended up giving me a bunch of excuses and eventually it got as bad as "my daughter got in a bad car crash and has been in the hospital for a while but I'll contact you soon", which I'm not sure if that was another excuse or not but I'm not going to assume it was due to the severity of the claim, even though he may have very well been screwing with me.

Never heard from him again even after texting back sometime later. I just hope if he was being honest everything turned out alright there... (I'm thinking that it was a stable condition thing considering she was okay and in the hospital for a while rather than not making it there, but again, could have all been an excuse)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 169.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 28.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    € 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 19.99
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside