(Topic ID: 111999)

Machines that are “twins” of one another?

By Rando

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-3-560.jpg
image-9.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rando.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I haven’t been in the hobby all that long, and frankly don’t know that much about Pinball machines yet. But what I’ve found so far in my own collection is interesting and I’m wondering how far it goes or have I just been lucky to stumble upon it:

My first machine was Spy Hunter. Through my research of the machine and maintenance I discovered that it has an identical twin: Saturn 2. Saturn 2 is apparently a “Conversion” kit, does this mean that it’s a new/different machine, or that distributors simply re-branded the same machine? There were 2,300 Spy Hunters produced, 1,200 Saturn 2’s, but basically there are 3,500 of the same machine, just some have a different title and graphics. The two machines, aside from title and theme, play exactly the same. But cost is a little different, Spy Hunter goes for about 1k, Saturn 2 about half that, if you can find it. Aside from name recognition, is there any other difference?

My second machine was Jungle Princess. This is the 2-Player version of Jungle Queen. Identical games as far as I know, Princess typically sells for less than the Queen, due to the extra player options. About 3x as many Queens were made.

My next machine that I prepped for a relative was a 1969 Post Time. This is the Add-a-ball version of Paddock, which plays the same but is set to replay and has slightly different (lower) scoring. Both sold about 2,000 units, with pricing about the same, but Paddock appears to be more common to find today.

The next machine I got (again for a relative) was a 1970 Baseball. Fun game, and there is an add-a-ball version called Batter Up.

My latest machine that I’m still working on is Super Star. It looks like there is an add-a-ball version called Big Star.

This knowledge would be useful in finding parts, or if you can’t find the one machine you want it may give you another machine to target. Or just get the cheaper of the two machines where possible to save some $$$.

Is this common, are all machines pretty much paired with another similar machine? And if so did this stop at some point (maybe with DMDs)?

Just curious as my entire collection appears to have twins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, CO
Boards
PinSound

$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Investments

$ 12.95
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 959.00
2,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hidden Meadows, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rando.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machines-that-are-%e2%80%9ctwins%e2%80%9d-of-one-another?tu=rando and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.