(Topic ID: 119394)

An ongoing discourse of Philadelphia pinball location play?

By deibert

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 964 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by mbl1116
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4564 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7258 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7222 (resized).JPG
    QRCodeTNT Amusements (resized).png
    IMG_7177 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7178 (resized).JPG
    D73E0835-0209-47D6-9D8D-59585D743629 (resized).jpeg
    1A2A3587-7895-40F9-8118-1C35D519F387 (resized).jpeg
    F07F0639-0C64-4A0E-B942-BADB19CFF1E4 (resized).jpeg
    916CF656-3DFD-474A-AD44-B5C1E2439B23 (resized).jpeg
    89FF85A9-D70E-4C2F-B925-F1CF57CCA403 (resized).jpeg
    B33C8C0F-59F2-4C19-9139-E492E2DC4512 (resized).jpeg
    1AF91576-C4DA-4266-B406-B52A35356FA3 (resized).jpeg
    F4BE110D-8FF0-41F0-ABFB-6C0F1A11CD5C (resized).jpeg
    9896C677-AD0E-4A96-921D-8368D8C0754C (resized).jpeg
    74BFDFD9-3588-4880-98A6-2D26C416ADB5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider craif.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#659 2 years ago

Round1 machines are still a mixed bag of little issues but the last few times I've been through there I've spent some time talking to some of their general techs and managers about standard care and feeding for pinball machines and specific issues some of their machines are having. Even opened up the machines a few times so I could show them things.

They seem genuinely interested in fixing them up and improving the general maintenance but what they seem short on is tech staff, particularly one with pinball specific knowledge whether it's through working on them or just having spent a lot of time playing. Even asked me if I was looking for a job (I'm not). I doubt they're looking for someone who only works on the pinball machines, but if you know someone who plays a lot of pinball looking for a job as a general arcade tech, they'd probably be very interested in talking to them.

They've got a great lineup of late model Sterns, so it's more a matter of someone who understands what the issues are and how pinball should play so little things get corrected quick and before they grow. The actual care for them is pretty standard for someone who knows what to look for.

1 week later
    #665 2 years ago

Chuck. who maintains the machines at MOM's, asked if I knew anyone interested in running tournaments there. I live too far away to take that on but if it sounds like your wheelhouse he'd love to hear from you.

#667 2 years ago
    Quoted from Habermania:

Where is Mom’s again?

Mom's Organic Market in Abington. 15 machines in a separate room attached to the market. Opened during covid. Owner of the company is apparently quite the pinball fanatic.

https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/15111-mom-s-organic-market-abington-pa

#669 2 years ago
    Quoted from Habermania:

craif Can you DM me a contact person? I may be able to put some tournaments together there, and it is quite close to my office.

done.

#671 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Do it.
    I'll definitely play and am down to help.
    Most of their lineup are solid tournament games.
    craif what's the space like? Any seating area? I need to just make a trip, I'm not too far away.

There's a few photos of the games/area they're in on the pinside map.

Not much of a seating area. A few stools. You can grab a drink or a few items from the cold case in the supermarket, but they don't have a service cafe or anything. The room with the pinballs is actually where that would be in most MOMs locations, but this one has pinball machines instead. Not that I'm complaining! I know there's plenty of places to eat up in that area, but both times I went I just fell into a pinball haze for hours until it was time to go home.

It's clean and well lit. If something eats your quarter or there's another issue they want to hear about it so it can be fixed. If it's a gamebreaking issue they will actually shut the machine off until Chuck comes through. I've been there twice now and the few minor issues I'd reported after a 4 hour marathon the first time had been addressed by the next time I was there 2 weeks later, which is higher praise than I can offer for many arcades with multiple techs on site, let alone a supermarket.

As I understand it, the machines are out of the company founder's collection. There's an older location down in College Park, MD that has 38 machines such that I've been trying to rationalize "errands" I need to run down that way so I can check it out. It appears to have quite the community built up around that one. It's clearly being done for the love of the game.

2 weeks later
    #682 2 years ago

quantumjosh

I'm guessing there's a series of switch tests in the service menus, but probably only listed by number so unless you have the key that maps numbers to physical switches you've got your work cut out. Do you have a manual for the machine? Gottlieb's can be tough as the owners of the IP have gone to some length to remove scans/photos of the official manuals/schematics/etc from the internet. I'm sure there are digital copies of the manual floating around private channels, but you'd have to ask the people who have them directly as they won't be on public sites like IPDB.

If it's a failure in the actual switch you can likely pinpoint it pretty quick using a multimeter and simple continuity tests (power it off first), but if there's problems in the matrix or on the board itself it gets more complicated. Someone experienced in repair can work it out when they're actually in front of the machine of course, but without the schematics its a lot more trial, error and wire/circuit tracing unless its something they've seen before specifically.

I don't know their rates, but if you feel like paying someone who knows what they are doing the 2 that come to mind:

Pinballgallery.net in malvern can work on their site or make housecalls, and they've got quite a few 80s Gottliebs in their parlor so they should be familiar.

tntamusements.com in bucks county does a lot of work on machines from the late 70s to early 2000s. I'm not sure if they do housecalls. Their shop is an absolute madhouse. I bought a parts machine from them once and actually seeing it in person was wild. Room after room of parts, boards and machines packed floor to (warehouse height) ceiling.

#683 2 years ago

Stopped by round 1 yesterday and could tell something was up just by the number of people running around repairing (non-pinball) games that have been out of order for months. I asked a guy I know there and the claim is that the repair backlog of their prolonged shortage of mechanics finally caused enough machines to be offline for long enough that it got the attention of corporate and they dispatched some sort of strike team of traveling mechanics to go spend several days there fixing all the broken stuff. He claimed that at least one of the people dispatched had a lot of pinball experience and would be going over the pinball machines and hopefully fix a bunch of issues they've accumulated and do some standard maintenance/dialing in and show their in-house techs the ropes.

I'll believe it when I see it but fwiw at least 10 different redemption machines that had been powered off and/or disabled since at least mid june were up and working again with 3 different mechanics I've never seen before running around with all kinds of tools working on other stuff throughout the arcade. JP was working after being turned off for the last month, but I don't know why it was turned off in the first place. The other games that were on felt the same as the last time I played them. I'll check back in a week and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

1 week later
    #686 2 years ago

Stopped at University pinball today to see if anything had changed since an employee told me they'd have pinball again 'eventually' back in March. No pinballs, and the employee I talked to today said it was forever.

Hoping that's inaccurate but not holding my breath.

Meanwhile, round 1 did code updates finally. Theyre still 'waiting on parts' for some machines, but the fact they did any maintenance at all at least makes it believable they're working on it.

3 weeks later
    #693 2 years ago
    Quoted from deibert:

A bit outside of Philly, but the arcade in the Quakertown Farmer's Market now has an Avengers Premium. First AIQ I have personally seen on location.

The arcade in the Berlin Farmer's Market in South Jersey has a Pro. On the one hand Jersey, on the other hand shorter drive from Philly than Quakertown.

How does the Quakertown Farmers Market do on maintenance? I'd been meaning to go check it out, but I've gotten lazy about driving distances father than MOMS/ & Pinball Gallery just to scout smaller spots.

#698 2 years ago
    Quoted from deibert:

Only get there about once a month or so, but any time I go the machines seem playable. Not sure if AIQ will hold up as well with all the mechs and wire forms

Their maintenance is generally decent. I've never actually seen an employee but there's clearly someone working on the machines because anything that is starting to get suspect is fixed by the next time I go.

I feel like the flippers on the AIQ are on the weak side but not unreasonable. Everything is hittable, just felt like some shots were a little sluggish. I haven't played another AIQ so that may just be intended with that game. That bashspinner the whole game centers around takes a ton of punishment, so maybe they just designed it with lower power.

#699 2 years ago
    Quoted from craif:

Their maintenance is generally decent. I've never actually seen an employee but there's clearly someone working on the machines because anything that is starting to get suspect is fixed by the next time I go.

I always wondered how that place exists. Legit "drop quarters, play games" arcades without gimmicks mostly died out years ago. Everywhere now relies on redemption, barcade type stuff or hourly places like pinball gallery and yet that place feels like I'm in the mall in the mid 80's-90's and somehow everything gets maintained despite only being open 4 days a week, but my new wholly made up fantasy is that whoever runs it just really likes to play pinball and set it up to stash a bunch of machines as cheaply as possible.

Works a normal job somewhere else but on the days the market is closed he's there "performing maintenance" which naturally requires hours and hours of "testing." As long as the coin drop is enough to cover rent anything additional just gets plowed back into repairing/replacing pinball machines keeping the net profit a few bucks above 0 after expenses and depreciation are factored in.

It really makes sense when I think about the games there...

The pinballs are the only things that are new or notable. 5/10 of the most recent sterns. The other ones are all highly rated by the community generally or at least recognized as being better than you'd think at first glance. Simpsons Pinball Party, South Park, Shaq and some billiards game who's name is escaping me.

All the arcade games are just random old stuff picked up opportunistically that never changes and rarely breaks. Not crap, but little that's new, classic or otherwise notable other than maybe that weird looking submarine thing next to the pinballs. Whatever could be picked up cheap on the secondary market that is flashy enough to reliably gets kids to drop a few quarters when their parents drag them to the farmers market.

3 weeks later
    #707 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Willow Park Grove Mall getting some pins next year
    https://www.phillyvoice.com/willow-grove-park-mall-indoor-entertainment-center-tilted-10-2022/
    "Tilted 10 will feature more than 200 games and attractions at its two-level, 104,000-square-foot entertainment center. They include a bowling alley, a multi-level laser tag arena, black-light mini golf, bumper cars, virtual reality and a pinball arcade"

Says they have 10 locations but the only one that comes up on here or pinball map is one in IL Anyone been there? Looks like ~20 games and they have some stuff from the 80s & 90s in addition to the more recent stuff. First time I've seen a mega-arcade-bowling-restaraunt-redemption-chain having something beyond the the latest from stern. I can't see things like Earthshaker, Fireball or TAF holding up in a place like that without an experienced mechanic. Maybe they actually maintain the machines?

3 weeks later
    #716 2 years ago

Stretching the limits of "Philadelphia" here but the city proper is mostly a pinball desert so I drove about an hour deep into Jersey today to check out Starcade in Hamilton and Level Up in Somers Point. Totally worth the trip if you don't mind a bit of driving.

Starcade's lineup is a fantastic mix of stuff from the last 40 years and the machines in mostly great shape. Tilts on the tighter side, but fair. Bunch of classic arcade games too.

Level Up has a TAF and 4 stern pros. TAF was off waiting on parts, but the 2 Sterns I played were great. The Deadpool might be the most dialed in location machine I've played in a decade and JP was on point too.

Just to avoid any confusion, Level Up has another older location in the same mall as Starcade but it only has a Super Mario Brothers that is currently being repaired.

#720 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Anyone hear anything about a place opening in Media? I saw a sign on a building and a couple people brought it up to me. Supposed to be some type of bar with games. Haven't been able to find any additional intel.

"Media Game on State" showed up on pinballmap this morning. https://gameonstate.com

Haven't been there yet, but it says they've got 7 games. Decent list including the first Godzilla I've heard about in the region, and it's an LE, so I guess I'll see you all there this weekend.

edit: Pinballmap says LE, but the stock photo on the location's website is a pro. We'll see!

#722 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Nice catch. Will give it a look soon.

Don't thank me. Thank the stupid little python script I wrote that that queries every location in the pinball map API once a day and lists everything in the area ordered by recently updated!

Quoted from ectobar:

The Pinball Gallery currently has a Godzilla pro. They are getting a Premium eventually. I've only got a couple games in so far, but I'm digging it.

They're usually pretty quick to update pinball map. They must have got it right after I was there a few weeks ago. Good to hear there's more than one in the area though.

#728 2 years ago
    Quoted from coreyhulse:

That sounds like a lovely script. Are you open to sharing it? I might be able to take that script and make a public webpage that lists out newly added games/locations in the area.

Gotta extract it out of a bigger script that scrapes a lot of random crap, but I should have some time to do that tonight or tomorrow.

#729 2 years ago
    Quoted from coreyhulse:

That sounds like a lovely script. Are you open to sharing it? I might be able to take that script and make a public webpage that lists out newly added games/locations in the area.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tlastowka/pinballmap/main/whatsnew.py

Originally I was mucking with the entire api so there's a few classes implemented. You could strip it down to 3 or 4 lines pretty easily for what it's actually doing. The api is pretty straightforward if you wanted to add other functions. I never got around to using the lat/long distance search rather than pinballmap's built in regions but I imagine it would be pretty easy.

If you run it from the command line it'll dump the philadelphia region. If you just want a different region, edit the script. Or import dump_region_locations_by_last_updated function and feed it a different region. There's also a list_all_regions function that will dump a bare list of available region names.

needs python 3.6+ for fstrings.

2 weeks later
    #734 2 years ago
    Quoted from coreyhulse:

This was awesome! Thank you for sharing. I've spent time some hacking away at the API and I've made a webpage that shows the most recently added or updated machines:
    https://pinballspinner.com/pinballmapapi/newmachines/index.php?region=philadelphia
    Example: Rollergames - added two days ago to Reese's Pizza and Tavern in Warminster
    I tried to make it work against any region. If you pick a new region from the dropdown you'll get new places.

Glad it did something neat for you.

I spent some time messing with the distance from address calls instead of region. It works, but a minor annoyance is that for whatever reason the api doesn't include the location's website url (and probably some other stuff) in the location document when accessed with that function, so it requires a second call to the api to pull the extra info.

#737 2 years ago

Always good to have more games on location. With all the stuff that didn't make it into the pro I'd been hoping someone would get a prem/le, but pinball map says they're both pros. Darn.

#743 2 years ago

Spent a few hours a Mom's today. Godzilla isn't actually there yet despite being on pinballmap. I guess I should have read the notes.

Games are playing well though, and as usual every issue I saw the last time I was there has been fixed. The place really is a treasure.

Was anyone else there today? Saw a few people I hadn't seen there before who appeared to know what they were doing.

2 weeks later
    #747 2 years ago

On a roadtrip last week I made a pit stop at the original pinball MOM's in College Park, MD. WOW. Nearly 40 machines, premiums all over the place, darker but not too dark with lights angled in a way that there's not a touch of glare on the glass anywhere. Only had an hour before I had to get moving again and so many different things I wanted to play that whenever hit an extra ball I felt a pang of regret thinking about the games I wouldn't have time to get to.

I love our MOM's just the way it is but if it grows up to be like it's older brother I will love it even more.

#749 2 years ago

Anyone know what's going on with the Delaware Pinball Collective? They were just getting started organizing before normal delays and covid stalled out their location search, but they appeared on pinballmap the other day so I'm assuming they're close to going live if they aren't already. It's SW of Wilmington about an hour from philly, but that's not really any farther from Philadelphia than most of the other locations many of us hit regularly.

Website looks like it's been updated, but doesn't give any info about what days/hours it is/will be accessible to members or if membership is open to members outside of DE.

I sent them a message on their contact form so if they get back to me I'll post any relevant info here.

#751 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

This Sunday is an open house. Everyone is free to go. Afterwards, it will be members only with the exception of some tournaments. Members are allowed to bring guests a couple times a year.
    They intend to host multiple league nights for members as well.
    They currently have around 50 games, which for the most part are all exceptional examples. They also have more games waiting to rotate in to keep the lineup fresh.
    I'm a member, and am pretty excited about it.

Sweet, any idea what their operating hours are? Only thing holding me back is wondering how often I'd be able to get there between traffic and work.

#753 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

All - we have a couple of announcements to make for everyone regarding the Delaware Pinball Collective.
    1. OPENING SCHEDULE - We now have our "initial" hours of operation set for the month of January at the Delaware Pinball Collective. Our first official day of being open will be January 1st, 2022. We will follow the schedule listed below for at least the month of January so we can get a gauge on the Collective. If you do not follow us on Facebook or you have not yet secured your membership, I suggest you do so soon because from time to time we may throw up a "pop up" day where we open on a random Wednesday night or a random Friday night. This will only be announced on our Facebook page. As we continue to grow, the schedule will surely grow and change as well.
    Monday: CLOSED
    Tuesday: 5:30 PM - 10:00 PM (also a league night starting at 7pm)
    Wednesday: CLOSED
    Thursday: 5:30 PM - 10:00 PM (also a league night starting at 7pm)
    Friday: CLOSED
    Saturday: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
    Sunday: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
    2. PINBALL LEAGUES - Pinball leagues are now forming!!! We will be hosting 2 different leagues during the week and league play is only available to members of the Collective. Our league nights will be Tuesday night and Thursday night and they will start at 7pm and usually are over by 8:30-9pm. League play will start up the first week of February. More details will be coming out regarding the leagues in January, but for now if you are interested in playing in one or both of the leagues please drop a comment, shoot us a message, or send us an email. Generally a league "session" runs for a total of 9 weeks. 8 weeks make up the "regular season", and week 9 is the playoffs. The cost to join the league is $20 for each session and then your weekly dues each week are $5. At the end of each session we hand out awards (cash and trophies) to all divisions and this money comes from the weekly dues.
    Remember, if you are interested in signing up for one or both of the leagues, please let us know.
    3. OPEN HOUSE WEEKEND - Don't forget our open house membership drive preview weekend is this weekend. Saturday (12/18) from 10am to 7pm is for Members only and their guests. Then on Sunday (12/19) from 10am to 7pm we will host an open house to ANYONE. Both days we will be offering free refreshments throughout the day and all of the pinball machines will be on free play. Stop by, say hi, and grab a membership before they are all gone!
    4. Upcoming December Tournaments - Friendly reminder that we have 3 tournaments scheduled for the end of this month. The dates are 12/27(Strikes KO), 12/28(Flip Frenzy), and 12/29(Match Play). All the details can be found under the EVENTS section of our Facebook page, or on our Eventbrite page. These 3 tournaments are open to ANYONE and do not require membership. This is your last opportunity to earn WPPR points to make your way inside the top 16 for the State of Delaware for 2021. The IFPA has approved us to run a sanctioned "unofficial" State Tournament which will take place on 1/29. If you haven't already, head over and sign up for those 3 nightly tournaments!
    5. 2022 Tournaments - We will be releasing our 2022 "tentative" tournament dates at the beginning of January. Please keep in mind that most, not all, of our tournaments will require a membership to play in. Why you may ask? Because we need memberships in order to keep the Collective open. Our 6 Tour Events we host each year will be open to ANYONE and will not require a membership. Additionally, we will also be hosting a 3-day pump and dump tournament called the 2022 Mid-Atlantic Pinball Open and that tournament will also be open to ANYONE and will not require a membership. We are now an official Stern Army location, so we will be sprinkling in all kinds of tournaments from Frenzies, to Knockouts, to Pingolf and a large portion of those tournaments WILL REQUIRE A MEMBERSHIP in order to play. When the schedule is released every tournament will be clearly labeled with details regarding if membership is required or not.
    At the end of the day we need your support, so please hop over to our website https://www.delawarepinballcollective.com/memberships and grab a membership today

They also wrote back to me with the same info. Hopefully the hours will open up a bit more once they're up and running but I just signed up. Can't wait to check it out.

#760 2 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Thanks for signing up. Feedback will be important, but of course we can’t please everyone. What’s your idea of “opening up a bit more” look like?

I sent you a PM so I could blather on without clogging up the thread.

#762 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

All - we have a couple of announcements to make for everyone regarding the Delaware Pinball Collective.
    1. OPENING SCHEDULE - We now have our "initial" hours of operation set for the month of January at the Delaware Pinball Collective. Our first official day of being open will be January 1st, 2022. We will follow the schedule listed below for at least the month of January so we can get a gauge on the Collective. If you do not follow us on Facebook or you have not yet secured your membership, I suggest you do so soon because from time to time we may throw up a "pop up" day where we open on a random Wednesday night or a random Friday night. This will only be announced on our Facebook page. As we continue to grow, the schedule will surely grow and change as well.
    Monday: CLOSED
    Tuesday: 5:30 PM - 10:00 PM (also a league night starting at 7pm)
    Wednesday: CLOSED
    Thursday: 5:30 PM - 10:00 PM (also a league night starting at 7pm)
    Friday: CLOSED
    Saturday: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
    Sunday: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
    2. PINBALL LEAGUES - Pinball leagues are now forming!!! We will be hosting 2 different leagues during the week and league play is only available to members of the Collective. Our league nights will be Tuesday night and Thursday night and they will start at 7pm and usually are over by 8:30-9pm. League play will start up the first week of February. More details will be coming out regarding the leagues in January, but for now if you are interested in playing in one or both of the leagues please drop a comment, shoot us a message, or send us an email. Generally a league "session" runs for a total of 9 weeks. 8 weeks make up the "regular season", and week 9 is the playoffs. The cost to join the league is $20 for each session and then your weekly dues each week are $5. At the end of each session we hand out awards (cash and trophies) to all divisions and this money comes from the weekly dues.
    Remember, if you are interested in signing up for one or both of the leagues, please let us know.
    3. OPEN HOUSE WEEKEND - Don't forget our open house membership drive preview weekend is this weekend. Saturday (12/18) from 10am to 7pm is for Members only and their guests. Then on Sunday (12/19) from 10am to 7pm we will host an open house to ANYONE. Both days we will be offering free refreshments throughout the day and all of the pinball machines will be on free play. Stop by, say hi, and grab a membership before they are all gone!
    4. Upcoming December Tournaments - Friendly reminder that we have 3 tournaments scheduled for the end of this month. The dates are 12/27(Strikes KO), 12/28(Flip Frenzy), and 12/29(Match Play). All the details can be found under the EVENTS section of our Facebook page, or on our Eventbrite page. These 3 tournaments are open to ANYONE and do not require membership. This is your last opportunity to earn WPPR points to make your way inside the top 16 for the State of Delaware for 2021. The IFPA has approved us to run a sanctioned "unofficial" State Tournament which will take place on 1/29. If you haven't already, head over and sign up for those 3 nightly tournaments!
    5. 2022 Tournaments - We will be releasing our 2022 "tentative" tournament dates at the beginning of January. Please keep in mind that most, not all, of our tournaments will require a membership to play in. Why you may ask? Because we need memberships in order to keep the Collective open. Our 6 Tour Events we host each year will be open to ANYONE and will not require a membership. Additionally, we will also be hosting a 3-day pump and dump tournament called the 2022 Mid-Atlantic Pinball Open and that tournament will also be open to ANYONE and will not require a membership. We are now an official Stern Army location, so we will be sprinkling in all kinds of tournaments from Frenzies, to Knockouts, to Pingolf and a large portion of those tournaments WILL REQUIRE A MEMBERSHIP in order to play. When the schedule is released every tournament will be clearly labeled with details regarding if membership is required or not.
    At the end of the day we need your support, so please hop over to our website https://www.delawarepinballcollective.com/memberships and grab a membership today

I just spent close to 6 hours there. Dynamite.

2 weeks later
    #764 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thekfb:

Quakertown farm market update
    Aerosmith has been replaced by Stranger Things
    Jurassic Park has been replaced by Batman 66
    Lord of the Rings, Avengers Infinity Quest and Star Wars are still there
    I stopped by Moms market last week but Godzilla wasn't there.

Last I heard Godzilla @ MOMs was apparently just there for the release party.

#768 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Heard the same. Not sure if MOM'S was actually planning on getting one.

I believe the one I played at the MD location is there for the long term. As far as I know the games at 2 MOM's with pinball are all from the owner of the company's personal collection of machines so seeing it in both locations did seem weird.

2 weeks later
    #778 2 years ago

More of a restoration thing, but does anyone have a good source in the area for random ICs? I'm restoring some system 6 boards and each time I get a section working and move on to the next it reveals another IC that needs to be replaced. They're usually only a few bucks so no big deal but the shipping on all these tiny orders from marco and mouser is killing me.

#780 2 years ago

They're another good online source but I meant a place I could call to confirm they have whatever chip and then go pick it up that day. Like the hole in the wall plumbing/heating supply places that have a storeroom with every arcane valve or control assembly ever made in the last 100 years.

The turnaround time for shipped orders is bad/worse than the cost of shipping. I have a huge stock of commodity transistors and passive components on hand from years of electronics projects but whenever I hit upon a dead/suspect IC I'm dead in the water for a week.

I guess I should just order 2 or 3 of every chip on the boards that isn't absurdly expensive just to have on hand.

#782 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

That was the one good thing about Radio Shack, if you needed a pack of fuses or some IC, that was your convenient go to.

I had one a block from my house for years. Sometimes I'd be over there 5-10 times in a day while working through a project. Years later the old sign still sits atop a pole in the parking lot mocking me every time I walk past.

The microcenter in villanova has stepped up their DIY supply in the last few years enough that it's saved my butt a few times for simpler components but for ICs they've got few if any.

2 weeks later
    #795 2 years ago
    Quoted from JakePG:

I live a little over an hour from the Collective. If I signed up, my family and I would try to go about 1, or 2 times a month on a Sat or Sun afternoon. I would most likely do some tournaments as well. League would be out of the question. Only thing I'm concerned about is fulfilling volunteer hours. Do you have any insight as to how the volunteer thing works?

I'm a little closer than you but can only get down there 2-3 times a month due to schedule conflicts and it's totally worth it. On a family membership you'll cover the monthly fee in one visit compared to a coin drop location, let alone one with a collection that wide and well maintained. Everyone I've met so far has been cool.

1 week later
    #799 2 years ago

Hyndman's Arcade @ the Berlin Farmer's Market a few minutes over the bridge in South Jersey added a Mando Pro to their lineup.

1 month later
    #814 2 years ago
    Quoted from speederice:

This mall also features a great arcade with Starcade, so between the two spots, we probably have the most pinball machines under a NJ mall roof since the 80s! Hope to see you all soon if you stop by on your way to the shore this summer!

Insert random nostalgia about Spaceport in Quakerbridge mall back in the 80s and pushing past the crowds playing the newest video games near the front to get to the army of classic pinballs hidden in the back. I still remember the day I discovered that the 60s era games had manually controlled troughs and you could put all 5 balls in play at once if you felt so inclined.

3 weeks later
    #819 2 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

[quoted image]

Not that I needed an excuse to head over there again but this will do.

1 week later
    #821 1 year ago

Was in the area so swung through Round 1 in center city to see if things improved at all since last fall.

Good News: Things improved.

Bad News: Still a ways to go.

I pointed out a few low hanging fruit to a mechanic. I'll check back in a few weeks and see if it helped.

3 weeks later
    #822 1 year ago

Hyndman's at the Berlin Farmer's Market is changing ownership soon. Confirmed from multiple sources including the current owner Mark. From what I hear the pins are staying so I'm not panicking but I think this calls for some tribute.

I've been to Hyndman's with increasingly regularity over the last few years as many of my other haunts shut down, replaced their pins with newfangled stuff or just went to hell. It became a true lifelife post-pandemic and in the last 12 months I've been there almost every week after I discovered the location I've been able to walk to for 20 years replaced their last 3 pins with redemption machines.

I've encountered Mark a few times over the years emptying coin boxes or fixing machines. We know some of the same people but I don't know him personally. I always thought he must have an interesting story

The one thing I've known about him for a long time is that he runs a damn fine old school arcade like the kind I grew up in.

No frills. No redemption machines. No pounding music. No loyalty clubs. No food and drink. No tokens or swipe cards.

Just a dark room with fully stocked bill changers and packed with machines owned by someone that gives damn. The machines weren't always pretty but the setups were fair and when a ball got stuck or a flipper broke you didn't get that sinking feeling that it would stay that way forever.

A few weeks ago I had a day off from work so I headed out to play and found him working hard fixing machines. I hit upon a temperamental flipper on AIQ so I pointed it out to him and half-jokingly offered to fix it if he had the parts lying around. From the look he gave me I figured he thought I was crazy but later he showed up with a box of parts and asked if I could hold a flashlight for a moment. We got the flipper fixed along with a few other random things that can use an extra set of hands and interspersed with the typical shop talk I finally got to hear a bit of his story.

Turns out he's been running locations and fixing pins in Jersey for as long as I've been alive. Sometime in early 80s I encountered pinball and it quickly became a fascination that has followed me to this day. The exact location is long forgotten but it was somewhere in Jersey. I mentioned the first machine I actually remembered by name was Firepower. He had 20 at some point. It's a long shot but it's possible one of them was my pinball awakening. Who knows?

All this was on my mind when I headed out there last night for my weekly trip. I've never been a great player but I've improved quite a bit in the last year and a lot of that happened here. I guess those thoughts put me on point last night. Started with a new personal best on AIQ and following a few heartbreaks over the last few weeks the final game of the night reclaimed GC on Mando.

This is the way. Thanks Mark.

aiq (resized).jpgaiq (resized).jpgmando (resized).jpgmando (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #826 1 year ago
    Quoted from deibert:

Just popped into QMart for an hour and a half to play some Rush Premium. Fun game and really my first time getting more than one game on this one.
    Good news is I played that entire time for $2.00. Replays must be low or I was playing fairly well. Had to walk away with two credits still on the machine.
    Bad news is the spinner shot is missing the spinner. Not sure if it broke and fell off or wasn't installed by Stern. Bummer as I can only imagine my scoring with the spinner.
    Game plays kind of loose with lots of room to nudge. Actually found it pretty easy to shake balls out of the out lanes which I'm normally terrible at!
    May need to stop there again tomorrow on my way back to Philly to get some more games in!

When Rush first showed up there the spinner was there and worked. A few weeks later it stopped detecting hits. It's been removed entirely for at least 2 weeks. The record is noncollectable which breaks the gamewide combo system. Every mode/feature that involves shooting that lane is crippled or impossible. It's basically just a wood chopper as it is.

#830 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

According to another thread there may or may not be a Medieval Madness at an unknown comic book store location - details withheld for the safety of the op.......
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-convince-my-boss-to-get-a-pinball-machine

Glancing at the thread I got the impression it's somewhere around DC. Did I miss something?

As for pinball machines in comic book shops the next level in the Hamilton Mall in NJ has a few pins so the idea is not unheard of. The staff members there say it gets them some traffic. I certainly bought a few things and I'd never have gone in there otherwise. It's a bit far to make a trip for 4 or 5 pins with so many larger collections closer to the city but they're fun, well maintained titles that are difficult to find on location and 50 cents a game. Starcade and their much larger collection is in the same mall so when I go there for a day pass I usually stop in for a few games of Deadpool or Ghostbusters first and usually walk out with a comic or something else.

3 weeks later
    #838 1 year ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Did it replace something or just added?
    I'm out of town for the week, but I'll definitely be by to try it soon.

Glancing at pinballmap TS4 is there and Halloween is still listed. I don't see Wonka but I'm not sure if that's a recent change.

#839 1 year ago
    Quoted from Thekfb:

Also haven't been to Quakertown Market recently, but according to pinball map
    Kiss pro was added

Kiss replaced JP Pro a few weeks back but it might be a different trim. Person who told me didn't catch which it was but figured that was better than having the wrong game listed entirely. If someone knows I can update it.

2 weeks later
    #845 1 year ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

just got back from round 1, most games are in better condition than they've been in a while. Didn't check the code revisions but nothing stood out to me as being particularly old as far as I could tell.
    Guardians of the Galaxy was in good shape, played well, might have a trough issue though as getting the add-a-ball during Groot put all 6 balls into play.
    Star Wars - front up post in the loop doesn't raise, meaning you can't do video mode, and can't use either hoth or death star to start modes, you can get around this by using Endor or Tatooine but if you finish both Endor and Tatooine you will not be able to progress any further. The mode called Escape from Mos Eisley (Tatooine II) cannot be completed without that shot functioning correctly (even draining you'll continue to be in this mode). Not sure whether some of the characters start with this mode spotted.
    Iron Maiden - Flippers have a lot of slop but they are powerful enough to hit all the shots. Game played well, didn't notice any issues other the flippers needing a rebuild.
    Munsters - Spot is stuck in the raised position basically ruining an already bad game more.
    Jurassic Park - Raptor area doesn't work at all. Leaned to the left. played well overall.
    Black Knight Sword of Rage - Leaned to the right. Played well.

I had been dreading swinging through there to follow up. Thanks for saving me the trip! The problems on JP and SW have been present (at least) a year. I reported them and other problems to various mechanics and managers last summer. When I was there 2 months ago the other problems had been fixed so I had some hope and reported those 2 again but it doesn't sound like it helped. I don't remember spot being stuck on Munsters when I was there.

You're right that maiden is playable but it's mostly a tribute to the particular worker at stern that assembled it and the relative lack of stuff that can break on Maiden pro. As far as I can tell it's never received any maintenance. There's early signs of dry rot in some of the rubbers at this point and the shooter->loop.

From a few I've been to and comments about others on pinball map it sounds like maintenance is a near universal problem for round1 company-wide. After the games are installed they're just allowed to degrade. A few of them seem to have one hero mechanic who holds it together for awhile but eventually they all fade away.

It just seems crazy to me that they have millions of dollars worth of Stern's flung all over the country but apparently nobody who plays pinball. There's 6 machines at most locations that have them and it'll be the first/only exposure to pinball for a lot of new players. Maybe it's time for the Stern Army to do some nation building just to protect their image.

#846 1 year ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Willow Park Grove Mall getting some pins next year
    https://www.phillyvoice.com/willow-grove-park-mall-indoor-entertainment-center-tilted-10-2022/
    "Tilted 10 will feature more than 200 games and attractions at its two-level, 104,000-square-foot entertainment center. They include a bowling alley, a multi-level laser tag arena, black-light mini golf, bumper cars, virtual reality and a pinball arcade"

News on this dried up for awhile but 2 weeks ago someone asked on their facebook page if it was still happening and the response from tilted was "Opening this Winter."

1 week later
    #854 1 year ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Looks like it's about 25 minutes away. So not bad, however, the only place worth going in Philly for pinball is the Barcade, which he can't get into.
    PinballMap shows a couple locations close to Haddon with a couple pins each.
    Hydman's Arcade is probably the best bet in NJ. Also about 20 minutes from Haddon Heights.
    The best answer would be the Pinball Gallery in Malvern PA. It's about an hour from HH.

If you're going to Hyndman's I'd recommend going early. The closing time hasn't been consistent lately. Usually it's not too bad but had one day where they closed at 4.

About the same drive time as Pinball Gallery would be Starcade in Mays Landing NJ and MoMs in Abington, PA. Any of those 3 can justify a day trip. Rush hour to/from any of those can be nasty so plan ahead. The hours at the latter 2 give you a lot more wiggle room for that.

#856 1 year ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

Hyndmans was open on thursday last week
    It somewhat follows the hours of the berlin farmers market
    The route to starcade suffers rush hour traffic??? Would not have expected that

Hyndman's has some sort of arrangement with the store next door to close the place at the end of the day. I don't know the details but only certain staff of that store are able to do it. For a long time it was reliably around 7-7:15 but a few thursdays in the last few months it was around 6 and once I got there around 3:45 just in time to start a game and get the 10 minute warning they were closing at 4.

Starcade traffic isn't as reliably bad in standard rush hour but add in an accident or shore traffic and it gets ugly quick.

1 month later
    #867 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaggy:

/// ** New Location Alert ** ///
    "Uncle Joe's Arcade" at PLYMOUTH MEETING MALL
    550 W Germantown Pike, Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Large attended arcade with mostly redemption and big prize counter.
    Games operate on tokens (free admission).
    Just opened past weekend, they have 10 pins in a dark nook and they all play great.
    GODZILLA
    AVENGERS: IQ
    THEATRE OF MAGIC
    STAR TREK TNG
    FUNHOUSE
    DINER
    FRANKENSTEIN
    SURF 'N SAFARI
    RIVERBOAT GAMBLER
    PARTY ZONE
    https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/16839-uncle-joe-s-arcade-plymouth-meeting-pa
    [quoted image]

I'm guessing this is the same uncle joe's that was in willow grove mall but isn't on pinballmap anymore. They had a Diner, STTNG and a third which I think was another one of the older titles on that list. Closer + expanded collection... I'll take it!

1 week later
    #870 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaggy:

Barcade IN: Cirqus Voltaire Popeye Saves the Earth
    Gone: Funhouse, Star Trek TNG

That star trek tng had some ephemeral but recurring issues with the mechs and under-field ball handling that it could use a nap anyway. Recently balls for various multiball modes were getting delayed and then popping out at the worst possible moments 10-20 seconds late. Hopefully it gets a deep tune-up before it goes wherever it goes next.

I'm really going to miss the Funhouse. It's been mostly reliable the last few months and always fun to play. It's possible I played the last full game on it as late monday the next person who stepped up to it had a ball get lost in the subway that ball search was still looking for when I left 10 minutes later.

Pinball Gallery's Funhouse appears to be off the floor at the moment too. Hopefully not for long. If anyone needs me I'll be in the corner sulking.

#872 1 year ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

STTNG is notoriously hard to keep running. All those optos have had their way with many experienced techs over the years.
    The Railroad has a Fun House still. It's got the 2.0 conversion installed, but I believe you can still play the original. They also have Aliens to help justify the drive.

I believe it! The tech's @ barcade have actually done a great job the last year firefighting the issues as they come up. I've been amazed how many random things they've managed to fix on the fly week to week over the last couple months. It's just new things have been coming up faster and faster to the point it probably needs a deeper overhaul than can be done on the floor of the bar.

I'm planning to check out Uncle Joe's this weekend and they've supposedly got one. I didn't realize RR had the 2.0 kit. They're out of my normal radius but I guess I'll be making a trip sometime soon.

#874 1 year ago
    Quoted from deibert:

Made it up there today. First thought was, "Wait... I'm in a mall?!". BONUS: My first four games were on the house due to remaining credits on these machines.
    Frankenstein played great. Don't see this one in the wild often.
    Diner played great. I'll come back just to play this one. I love Diner.
    Riverboat Gambler played great. Don't think I've ever played this one.
    AIQ had an issue making it to the right flipper on plunge without doing a power plunge.
    I'll be back again if I'm up that way. Hope someone can organize a tournament there.

Stopped in there today myself. Games are in great shape. Setups are pretty player friendly overall other than ball saves including multiballs seem reduced from typical default settings. Tilts are about average for a location game. It's definitely a good spot.

Had a chat with the guy who owns the place too. He's been in the business for a long time and seems to be happy about it. Mentioned 1 or 2 minor issues I'd noticed on the pins and was quite receptive to the feedback and wanted to hear about everything which is always a good sign. Also said they're planning to do some sort of competitive stuff at some point once they get a little more established at the new location and build a clientele. Not sure if tourneys, leagues or both so if you're there and you see a guy who looks like he owns the place be sure to let him know what you might be interested in.

2 weeks later
    #876 1 year ago

Haven't been there yet myself so can't speak to the experience but Bellefonte Brewing Company on the western edge of Wilmington showed up on the map recently with 7 machines and I heard through the grapevine it'll be 12 soon. Current list looks like an assortment of early 90s machines. The Apollo 13 got my attention because I've been unsuccessfully trying to find one ever since I heard about the 13 ball multiball. Anyone been there?

https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/17449-bellefonte-brewing-company-wilmington-de

#878 1 year ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Some DPC heads went. Report was games aren't in great shape but are set to .50¢.

Checked it out myself and was actually pretty decent. Games aren't going to win any beauty contests but they play fine overall save one that developed an issue which they immediately shut off and started working on. Staff is enthusastic about pinball and the beer is good too!.

#882 1 year ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Did you get the 13 ball mb?

4 times over several games. Drained almost all of them almost instantly first time but kept > half of them in play for awhile on latter ones. Replay scores in general were on the low side but that game was exceptionally low so every coin drop was good for 3 games at least. I'm sure that will change over time as more players find the place.

1 month later
    #889 1 year ago

Tokens @ Uncle Joe's are normally on a sliding scale of 4/$1 - 120/$20. Was there last week and there was a sign on the change machine with a 140/$20 special Mon-Wed. Not sure if it was a one time thing or weekly but a good chance to stock up if you'd normally be there on other days.

2022-11-15 18.07.33 (resized).jpg2022-11-15 18.07.33 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #891 1 year ago

Uncle Joe's added a Mando Pro a week or 2 ago.

1 week later
    #895 1 year ago

The ownership change at Hyndman's seems to have been finalized. It's now called "Fun Stop Arcade." Stopped in today. Looks like they have all the old machines and added a bunch more pins. Didn't get to play too much as a power outage affecting the area took down the entire farmer's market but no major issues on the few games I did get to play.

6 months later
    #922 9 months ago

Anyone been to tilted10 in willow grove yet? Wondering about the condition/setup of the machines and pricing.

2 months later
    #943 6 months ago
    Quoted from yaggy:

Uncle Joe's Arcade now has a Bally Night Rider EM.
    5 ball rules (flip flop & full 10). Plays great. (I don't..)[quoted image]

It's on 5 ball, but it's sometimes starting on ball 2 or 3...

It's also playing for 1 token despite saying 2 tokens so I didn't worry about it.

However many balls you end up getting it plays decent enough. Nice to see an EM in the wild.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider craif.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machines-on-location-in-philadelphia?tu=craif and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.