(Topic ID: 119394)

An ongoing discourse of Philadelphia pinball location play?

By deibert

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 963 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 50 days ago by misterschu
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4564 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7258 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7222 (resized).JPG
    QRCodeTNT Amusements (resized).png
    IMG_7177 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7178 (resized).JPG
    D73E0835-0209-47D6-9D8D-59585D743629 (resized).jpeg
    1A2A3587-7895-40F9-8118-1C35D519F387 (resized).jpeg
    F07F0639-0C64-4A0E-B942-BADB19CFF1E4 (resized).jpeg
    916CF656-3DFD-474A-AD44-B5C1E2439B23 (resized).jpeg
    89FF85A9-D70E-4C2F-B925-F1CF57CCA403 (resized).jpeg
    B33C8C0F-59F2-4C19-9139-E492E2DC4512 (resized).jpeg
    1AF91576-C4DA-4266-B406-B52A35356FA3 (resized).jpeg
    F4BE110D-8FF0-41F0-ABFB-6C0F1A11CD5C (resized).jpeg
    9896C677-AD0E-4A96-921D-8368D8C0754C (resized).jpeg
    74BFDFD9-3588-4880-98A6-2D26C416ADB5 (resized).jpeg

There are 963 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 20.
    #201 7 years ago
    Quoted from GRR:

Anyone know any decent places to play in the ABE area. I'm gonna be in town a few days.

Unfortunately there isn't much in the ABE area. As somebody already suggested, Railroad Street Bar & Grill (aka PinCrossing) and Pinball Gallery are your best bets. But those are both a decent hike from Lehigh Valley.

#202 7 years ago

AC/DC and Ghostbusters have been added to Pinball Gallery in Malvern

#203 7 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

AC/DC and Ghostbusters have been added to Pinball Gallery in Malvern

Are they on Free Play?

#204 7 years ago

I am assuming they are. Pinball Gallery operates via paid admission by the hour or all day. But I know he has brought in MMr and Hobbit and charged to play those games with proceeds going to a local charity. I haven't been there yet, I just saw the news on Facebook. I hope to get out there soon and I'll let you know. But they have a tournament tonight, so maybe somebody that is going tonight can report back sooner. I wish I could make it tonight.

#205 7 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Are they on Free Play?

The email for tonight's tournament stated that GB would be on coin drop. No word on ACDC.

#206 7 years ago

ACDC should be free. It is by no means new or anything like that.

#207 7 years ago

I'll be there tonight. Won't lie though, it chafes me a bit to be paying by the hour AND dropping coins.

#208 7 years ago
    Quoted from emkay:

I'll be there tonight. Won't lie though, it chafes me a bit to be paying by the hour AND dropping coins.

I agree. During tournament mode, the games should be set to Free Play.

#209 7 years ago

Played these at lunch today !first time playing GOT pro played one game one each pin all I had time for!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#210 7 years ago

Hey Everyone, I just posted a thread specific to the PinCrossing Summer Classic in case anyone was interested: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/4th-annual-pincrossing-summer-classic-august-27-2016

#211 7 years ago

July, eh?

1 week later
    #213 7 years ago

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#214 7 years ago

Wish I could make it. I hope it does well and leads to future tournaments.

1 week later
    #215 7 years ago

The arcade in Spruce Street Harbor Park has three machines. Sopranos, Shrek, and POTC.

The floor isn't exactly level and the games aren't all playing to the best of their ability. But if you are in the area and need your fix, they are there for you.

#216 7 years ago

Hi Everyone! Five days until the Summer Classic at PinCrossing.

Let us know if you plan on coming by posting up to the Facebook Event page - https://www.facebook.com/events/284803531886243/ - or by replying here.

Which games will be the tournament this year? Who will win the trophy? How many grilled cheeses can you eat in one sitting? Find out all these things and more this Saturday!

We also have our August selfie league finals taking place after the main tournament, giving everyone a chance to log some scores. Stop by during the week or during the tournament and post scores on our four selfie machines: Medieval Madness, Fathom, KISS (2015), and White Water! Selfie league standings here: http://www.neverdrains.com/pincrossing

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday!

PincrossingSmall (resized).jpgPincrossingSmall (resized).jpg

PincrossingAugustSelfie (resized).jpgPincrossingAugustSelfie (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #217 7 years ago

Ghostbusters Pro is now at University Pinball. $1 for one play, $2.00 for three.

I'm still getting a sense GB's ruleset, the big flipper gap, the deadly outlanes, and seizure inducing lighting, but it is a very fun player. I had some awful games and some that made me feel like "at this moment I am one with this machine". It's fast as hell. After an hour on GB, ST and GOT seemed slow. Must be that newly waxed playfield.

I noticed something I haven't seen before, there are posts in the bottom of the outlanes. Perhaps to slow the ball down to prevent death saves?

Quoted from mkecasey:

Just throwing this out there to gauge interest at this point. But would anybody be interested in doing a tournament in Philly? I was talking to emkay yesterday about how I was surprised that all of the tournaments out here are outside of the city. Thoughts?

Perhaps with four modern Sterns in decent playing condition, this might be a place to try to hold a tournament?

#218 7 years ago
    Quoted from deibert:

Ghostbusters Pro is now at University Pinball.

GREAT! I am working across the street tomorrow . fun lunch time! LOL

#219 7 years ago
    Quoted from deibert:

I noticed something I haven't seen before, there are posts in the bottom of the outlanes. Perhaps to slow the ball down to prevent death saves?

Not sure either but I think there were supposed to be proton streams on the sides. Seems like those plastics are just filler until/if those ever arrive.

#220 7 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Not sure either but I think there were supposed to be proton streams on the sides. Seems like those plastics are just filler until/if those ever arrive.

Interesting. They did slow the ball down a bit when draining, making a death save more difficult.

Odder still is the round red lights in the drains. I thought that was a Special when lit feature for a moment.

Quoted from freddy:GREAT! I am working across the street tomorrow . fun lunch time! LOL

Fun indeed. Be on the lookout for the location's resident curmudgeon RED. I'm sure he'll be there trying to get the GC score back from me.

#221 7 years ago

Is the game hooked up to a ticket dispenser yet?

How tight is the tilt?

I've recently got some plays in at the Pinball Gallery which is also set to $1/play. Tilt is set moderately tight which basically means the game hands you your ass. I want to like the game so bad as it's amazing to look at. Unfortunately my current opinion of it isn't very positive.

#222 7 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

How tight is the tilt?
    I've recently got some plays in at the Pinball Gallery which is also set to $1/play. Tilt is set moderately tight which basically means the game hands you your ass. I want to like the game so bad as it's amazing to look at. Unfortunately, my current opinion of it isn't very positive.

The tilt was very loose. I don't think I tilted once and I moved the machine a lot, including death saves. I actually didn't get many warnings either.

The ass handing on this machine seems to come from any time the ball is in the slingshots. The left outlane swallows up anything that comes that way. A lot of the negative feedback I've heard about this game being unfairly difficult is true. Add that massive flipper gap and a slick playfield and you got a challenge on your hands.

However, this made any good game all that more enjoyable.

No ticket dispenser.

#223 7 years ago
    Quoted from deibert:

No ticket dispenser.

great as ST and WD had massive ones mounted on the side of them.

#224 7 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

great as ST and WD had massive ones mounted on the side of them.

It will be getting one. That's how UP rolls.

#225 7 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

It will be getting one. That's how UP rolls.

game of thrones didn't .

#226 7 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

game of thrones didn't .

Curious. Haven't been there in a while, but the last time I was there RED told me that GoT was getting one shortly. He said he heard that from the owner.

Maybe they figured out it costs them money. With the tickets from ST/TWD I can basically play for free there. RED also said he's in the same boat, which is why he's there so much.

#227 7 years ago
    #228 7 years ago

Stopped by Pinball Parlour, 808 Allentown Rd, Earlington PA 18918. They are located 15 minutes north of Lansdale.

As far as older EM machines there are alot of Williams machines, I took some pictures of one row with 10 Williams machines the only problem is most were turned off due to needing repairs

I also attached the picture of the Williams line drive baseball machine this was up and running and I enjoyed playing this baseball theme game.

There were also many newer titles Cirqus Voltaire, Indiana Jones 2, Junkyard, Medieval Madness, Theatre of Magic and many more.
    The problem is almost all of the machines need to be serviced, adjusted, and cleaned.

The cost is $6 for one hour or $15 for the day.

20160903_202153 (resized).jpg20160903_202153 (resized).jpg

20160903_202116 (resized).jpg20160903_202116 (resized).jpg

20160903_202941 (resized).jpg20160903_202941 (resized).jpg

#229 7 years ago
    Quoted from ckcsm:

Stopped by Pinball Parlour, 808 Allentown Rd, Earlington PA 18918. They are located 15 minutes north of Lansdale.
    As far as older EM machines there are alot of Williams machines, I took some pictures of one row with 10 Williams machines the only problem is most were turned off due to needing repairs
    I also attached the picture of the Williams line drive baseball machine this was up and running and I enjoyed playing this baseball theme game.
    There were also many newer titles Cirqus Voltaire, Indiana Jones 2, Junkyard, Medieval Madness, Theatre of Magic and many more.
    The problem is almost all of the machines need to be serviced, adjusted, and cleaned.

That place is awful. So much wasted potential. The lineup of pins and games is stellar. Too bad nothing works. I don't ever intend to go back there.

#230 7 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

That place is awful. So much wasted potential. The lineup of pins and games is stellar. Too bad nothing works. I don't ever intend to go back there.

Agreed. I went once and luckily only paid for one hour. A little NOVUS and a lot of care is all that place needs. I don't intend on going back either.

#231 7 years ago
    Quoted from deibert:

The tilt was very loose. I don't think I tilted once and I moved the machine a lot, including death saves. I actually didn't get many warnings either.

Death saving machines on route is pretty dirty and certainly considered cheating. It isn't my machine so I don't really care that much, but I don't recommend doing this is if you go to PinCrossing or the Gallery.

#232 7 years ago

Great lunch played Got and GBPro

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#233 7 years ago

As it stands now I will be attending the 9/10 tournament at Pincrossing. Just a few questions for those of you that have participated in this in the past.

1. Doors open at 11am, and play begins at 1pm, please confirm.
    2. Qualifying ends at 3pm and finals begins at 4pm, please confirm.
    3. Does the $10 entry fee include free practice?
    4. Does the $10 entry fee include free play during the tournament?
    5. When not actively playing, are you allowed to play any open machines at your leisure?
    6. Are there any side pots or anything along the lines of additional betting/entry fees?

#234 7 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

As it stands now I will be attending the 9/10 tournament at Pincrossing. Just a few questions for those of you that have participated in this in the past.
    1. Doors open at 11am, and play begins at 1pm, please confirm.
    2. Does the $10 entry fee include free practice?
    3. Does the $10 entry fee include free play during the tournament?
    4. When not actively playing, are you allowed to play any open machines at your leisure?
    5. Are there any side pots or anything along the lines of additional betting/entry fees?

1. Yes.
    2. No
    3. No
    4. Only allowed to play pins not in the tourney.
    5. Normally no. Sometimes a single pin will be set up as a charity side tourney.

#235 7 years ago

Ack! I didn't really expect to see the answer No for questions 2 and 3. Paying for practice will add up quickly for 2 people.

#236 7 years ago

Ectobar accidentally skipped a question. I think #2, the answer to which is yes.

The bottom line is PinCrossing is never free play. The $10 goes into the tournament kitty and all machines are still on coin drop, regardless if it is practice, a tournament match, or if you are just playing for fun. Typically I spend about $10-$15 on pinball when I am there for an entire tournament.

Side note- there is a tournament tonight at the Pinball Gallery and your entry fee there pays for all your gameplay. For $15 you are entered into the tournament and can play unlimited for the entire time they are open. It is a great deal and lots of fun.

#237 7 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

not yet got and GB no tickets LOL

#238 7 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

not yet got and GB no tickets LOL

Looks like ticket redemption might not be the best thing for pinball?

#239 7 years ago
    Quoted from ckcsm:

At least they were open! I went there two fridays ago during open hours (according to website and Google listing) and all the lights were shut off. No sign or anything and no answer when we would try to call. There were another 8 people in the parking lot confused as well. I heard bad things similar to what you described (i.e. many machines not working) but I figured why not check it out? It was only $6 and I had the evening free. I didn't want to consider Pinball Parlour a waste of time until I checked it out myself.

#240 7 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

At least they were open! I went there two fridays ago during open hours (according to website and Google listing) and all the lights were shut off. No sign or anything and no answer when we would try to call. There were another 8 people in the parking lot confused as well. I heard bad things similar to what you described (i.e. many machines not working) but I figured why not check it out? It was only $6 and I had the evening free. I didn't want to consider Pinball Parlour a waste of time until I checked it out myself.

its a shame a lot of great games but not taken care of like need be. my buddy says its were pinballs go to DIE!

#241 7 years ago

https://www.facebook.com/events/1771560779752498/?ti=icl

Here is the event page for the PinCrossing monthly in September

#242 7 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

its a shame a lot of great games but not taken care of like need be. my buddy says its were pinballs go to DIE!

I'm sure there are plenty of games in there that people would love to buy and save.

#243 7 years ago

Just wanted to clarify a few things on our tournament Saturday:

Timing: The tournament play starts at 1:00PM and new rounds stop at 3:00PM. The finals begin as soon as we can after the last round finishes, which should be around 3:30. Our Selfie League finals normally start at 11:00AM, but they were pushed back to next month due to the Summer Classic.

Tournament Fees: The $10 tournament fee is paid out 100%. We make no money from that fee. If the games were on free play during the tournament it would be mean we take a loss. Also, to be clear, the Pinball Gallery tournament fee is $10 as well and that is paid out 100%. The other $5 is an entry fee to cover your play for period they are open that night. As pepermintswirl said, that is a great deal which Bill is offering especially if you get there early. At first glance you might think $5/head could pay some bills? Trust me though - when you have that many good players putting wear and tear on your machines for a few hours, he is doing a favor/service to the community.

To be clear, it takes a huge amount of effort and money to maintain machines in the manner in which places like PinCrossing, Pinball Gallery and Modern Pinball do. Parts constantly break and need to be replaced, expensive electronics blow up when you least expect it, materials, labor, electric, insurance and rent add up quickly. The machines at PinCrossing basically operate at a break even considering all the costs. I know Pinball Parlour gets a bad rep for not maintaining the machines well but keeping pins that get a lot of public play in top shape is hard, it takes a lot of time and costs a significant amount of money.

-Jay

#244 7 years ago

Thanks Jay. I just wanted to add that I've only ever played in one pinball tournament and that was at Allentown this year. So this is only my second experience playing in a pinball tournament, so when I said "I didn't expect to pay for practice", I really didn't know what to expect period since I'm a noob to all of this. I totally understand the upkeep and maintenance and totally get where you are coming from that you run close to break even. It's not going to deter me from playing though. Not sure if I will make it up tomorrow, but if I don't make it tomorrow I will be setting my sights on the October one. Can't wait to finally get up there (2+ hour drive for me) and meet everyone and play some pinball.

-Chad

#245 7 years ago

#246 7 years ago

RED is going to have to go recharge his proton pack, because there's a new top Terror Dog in town. Put up 3.5 bil to knock him off.

Some intel:

Modes seem relatively useless for scoring.

All the points I had were from either the bonus, or getting PKE Frenzy going and taking advantage.
    I had one game where I got 1bil+ from bonus. And in the game where I put up the GC, I cashed in several PKE shots worth 200mil+

Got to Mass Hysteria a couple times. The flipper switching thing is going to get those flippers beat to shit. I ended up just double flipping everything. Wasn't about to try the arm crossed thing when it keeps switching back and forth.

#247 7 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

RED is going to have to go recharge his proton pack, because there's a new top Terror Dog in town. Put up 3.5 bil to knock him off.
    Some intel:
    Modes seem relatively useless for scoring.
    All the points I had were from either the bonus, or getting PKE Frenzy going and taking advantage.
    I had one game where I got 1bil+ from bonus. And in the game where I put up the GC, I cashed in several PKE shots worth 200mil+
    Got to Mass Hysteria a couple times. The flipper switching thing is going to get those flippers beat to shit. I ended up just double flipping everything. Wasn't about to try the arm crossed thing when it keeps switching back and forth.

Great score. I am sure RED will not be pleased.

I agree that bonus is a major part of scoring big. Getting hold bonus on the first ball helped me put up 1.8B (which didn't last long as CG!). Also, the skill shot, and earning 10% of your score, is huge.

I got PKE Frenzy, but it always seemed to start during multiball, and I was never sure what to do, or how to collect jackpots.

Speaking of multiball, I've never seen such a seizure-inducing light show as the one that comes with Storage Facility multiball! Very confusing.

Mass hysteria didn't last long for me either. I wasn't up from crossing my arms so I just double flipped.

#248 7 years ago
    Quoted from deibert:

I got PKE Frenzy, but it always seemed to start during multiball, and I was never sure what to do, or how to collect jackpots.

I think it's just hit the right ramp as much as possible while it's going. Not sure if there way to cash it out out big at the end. Getting the playfield multi with it seems to be the power move.

As for mb's. Need to figure out how the add a ball works. Got it a bunch but not sure how. Also not sure if it's in all mb's or just mass hysteria as that's the only time I remember having it happen.

Lastly, I don't think that pin is playing 100% correctly. Very rarely when starting storage mb was the ball being held for the start of it. The other 2 GBs I played held it for the start every time.

#249 7 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

I think it's just hit the right ramp as much as possible while it's going. Not sure if there way to cash it out out big at the end. Getting the playfield multi with it seems to be the power move.
    As for mb's. Need to figure out how the add a ball works. Got it a bunch but not sure how. Also not sure if it's in all mb's or just mass hysteria as that's the only time I remember having it happen.
    Lastly, I don't think that pin is playing 100% correctly. Very rarely when starting storage mb was the ball being held for the start of it. The other 2 GBs I played held it for the start every time.

I've had Storage Multiball start at times without even hitting the ramp. Maybe a random award? The game is confusing for sure.

#250 7 years ago

There are 963 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machines-on-location-in-philadelphia/page/5?hl=coreyhulse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.