(Topic ID: 119394)

An ongoing discourse of Philadelphia pinball location play?

By deibert

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 964 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by mbl1116
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4564 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7258 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7222 (resized).JPG
    QRCodeTNT Amusements (resized).png
    IMG_7177 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7178 (resized).JPG
    D73E0835-0209-47D6-9D8D-59585D743629 (resized).jpeg
    1A2A3587-7895-40F9-8118-1C35D519F387 (resized).jpeg
    F07F0639-0C64-4A0E-B942-BADB19CFF1E4 (resized).jpeg
    916CF656-3DFD-474A-AD44-B5C1E2439B23 (resized).jpeg
    89FF85A9-D70E-4C2F-B925-F1CF57CCA403 (resized).jpeg
    B33C8C0F-59F2-4C19-9139-E492E2DC4512 (resized).jpeg
    1AF91576-C4DA-4266-B406-B52A35356FA3 (resized).jpeg
    F4BE110D-8FF0-41F0-ABFB-6C0F1A11CD5C (resized).jpeg
    9896C677-AD0E-4A96-921D-8368D8C0754C (resized).jpeg
    74BFDFD9-3588-4880-98A6-2D26C416ADB5 (resized).jpeg
    There are 964 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 20.
    #1 9 years ago

Where can I play in Philadelphia? Looking for on location games that are well maintained.

University Pinball on 40th and Spruce is down to one machine and the Garage on Passyunk doesn't maintain their machines.

Please tell me I am missing some place awesome.

#2 9 years ago
    Quoted from deibert:

Please tell me I am missing some place awesome.

If you don't mind driving 45 minutes, there is.

http://www.railroadstreet.com/default.aspx

The last time I was there they had the following machines (from memory)

ACDC LE
    LOTR
    Metallica LE
    MB
    SS
    TAF
    ToM
    TZ
    WH2O
    Embryon
    Indianapolis 500

Oh, and make sure you try the Mac and Cheese Grilled Cheese in between games!

#3 9 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/places-to-play-around-philly

But really, the Railroad is the answer. Hands down best location in the area. Also hands down they best craft beer bar in the area.

Pro tip. Add some pork to that Mac & Cheese Grilled Cheese.

#4 9 years ago

Yep, Railroad/PinCrossing is the pinball haven in southeast PA. Plenty of nice machines in there. Jay does it for the love of pinball.

#5 9 years ago

man, i wish that was a bit closer... hour and a half for me...

the lobster grilled cheese doesn't sound like it sucks either...

#6 9 years ago

The pinball gallery in Downingtown is another option, a bit of a drive but a nice selection of machines. I believe they are in the process of moving to a new location so look them up and see where they are moving to.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

man, i wish that was a bit closer... hour and a half for me...
    the lobster grilled cheese doesn't sound like it sucks either...

It's worth it if you ask me. My buddy and I make the trip about once a month or so. It takes us about 75 minutes each way.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Pro tip. Add some pork to that Mac & Cheese Grilled Cheese.

I don't know if I could defile that sandwich with anything other than a crab cake.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

It's worth it if you ask me. My buddy and I make the trip about once a month or so. It takes us about 75 minutes each way.

you talked me into it...

plus i know if there is craft beer and grilled cheese, i can drag swmbo along with me to keep me company...

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

you talked me into it...
    plus i know if there is craft beer and grilled cheese, i can drag swmbo along with me to keep me company...

Couple of pins currently at the Rail that Spyder missed:
    Kiss, Meteor, Galaxy, TSPP, SM

Also, this Sat would be good day to go if you can, as a fellow pinsider is bringing his TWDLE there for the day.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpaparty-twdle-by-libertypinclub-228

#11 9 years ago

pinball gallery is not open, they are moving to a new location i believe

#12 9 years ago

Pinball gallery is nice, but as stated previously they are in the process of moving to a new/ larger location. Hopefully they get a place soon since that's really the only close place to me.

#13 9 years ago

Pincrossing is worth the trip. Check out their current beer selection.

image-633.jpgimage-633.jpg
    #14 9 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

image-633.jpg 152 KB

consider my arm appropriately twisted...

i may need a designated driver...

edit: showed swmbo that picture... sadly, i'm going to have to limit my consumption because hers will be large...

#15 9 years ago

Don't forget, Liberty Pinball is meeting up on Saturday at Pincrossing!

The jolliest bunch of pinheads and drunks you'll ever meet!

#16 9 years ago

Yeah it sucks that location play in the city is so weak. Pinball Gallery and Pin Crossing are awesome though, just not really Philadelphia.

North Bowl in Northern Liberties usually has 3 games, not always well maintained but playable.

#17 9 years ago

someone mentioned a dark night stern game in a pendel bar. outside the city thou.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from MattG:

Don't forget, Liberty Pinball is meeting up on Saturday at Pincrossing!
    The jolliest bunch of pinheads and drunks you'll ever meet!

that looks like fun...

are crusty old em guys like me allowed? might need some handholding on rulesets...

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

that looks like fun...
    are crusty old em guys like me allowed? might need some handholding on rulesets...

absolutely you are allowed but i am not going to hold your hand! i will leave that up to Bill.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

How recent was this picture? I have never seen Maine Brewing "lunch" this far south, it's fantastic. Ballast Point "sculpin" is one of the best IPA in the 'difficult but not impossible to find' category. Bourbon County Stout has people waiting in line every year when it's released in bottles

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from dorksince83:

Pinball gallery is nice, but as stated previously they are in the process of moving to a new/ larger location. Hopefully they get a place soon since that's really the only close place to me.

If you are still in Aston the Boothwyn Farmers Market has 6 machines, they are kind of hidden down a hallway away from the main shopping area. Last I checked there was a newer Stern (i think xmen) at Duffers Mill on Namaans Creek Rd

#22 9 years ago

Current beer list updated yesterday here:

http://www.railroadstreet.com/BeerList/beermenu.aspx

The owner of the Railroad is a beer head. They consistently have different awesome beers on tap. Doesn't look like Lunch is on tap anymore. Sad I missed it, I got a bottle of it from the Railroad earlier this year, and it really is delicious.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

How recent was this picture? I have never seen Maine Brewing "lunch" this far south, it's fantastic. Ballast Point "sculpin" is one of the best IPA in the 'difficult but not impossible to find' category. Bourbon County Stout has people waiting in line every year when it's released in bottles

Ectobar gave you the link for accurate list they update. That picture was from Saturday when they posted on their FB page.

3 months later
    #24 8 years ago

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I've been to Pinball Gallery many times, including a trip to their new location last evening. However, the lack of pinball within the Philadelphia city limits is alarming. I'm more of a mass-transit/walking commuter/city dweller and prefer to drive as little as possible

I do have to check out Railroad Street. Beer and pinball always a good mix.

Has anyone been to Northbowl or Soutbowl and can confirm if they have any (functioning) machines?

#25 8 years ago

I'm a Philly suburbs guy (which is a pinball wasteland), but following this just to remember some of these spots.

#26 8 years ago

Northbowl has TWD, ST, and Avengers.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from deibert:

Has anyone been to Northbowl or Soutbowl and can confirm if they have any (functioning) machines?

Their website shows pins, you could contact them.

8 months later
    #28 8 years ago

Quick update, University Pinball at 4006 Spruce St just got Game of Throne Pro in with updated code, and also updated the Star Trek Pro and Walking Dead Pro code. All machines are waxed up and playing great (for now).

#29 8 years ago

WHHHHAAAAATTTT. Thank you for the update. I stopped going there when it seemed they were selling off all their pins, and the Star Trek they did have wasnt working properly.

#30 8 years ago

FYI PinCrossing now has an AMH, GOT LE, and KISS LE.

Also I have not been there but I heard Northbowl replaced Avengers with a KISS pro.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from deibert:

Quick update, University Pinball at 4006 Spruce St just got Game of Throne Pro in with updated code, and also updated the Star Trek Pro and Walking Dead Pro code. All machines are waxed up and playing great (for now).

Nice, will have to make a trip downtown!!

#32 8 years ago

I was at southbowl a few weeks ago. they had star trek pro and rolling stones. The rolling stones was unplayable. The star trek played well, but they had the volume so low you couldn't here anything. Not enjoyable at all. I registered my comments with the staff and they said they would contact their operator.

#33 8 years ago

Pin crossing last night, FUN time! played GOT , KISS, and AC/DC. also filled my tummy with GOOD food and Beer!

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from ninjabones:

I was at southbowl a few weeks ago. they had star trek pro and rolling stones. The rolling stones was unplayable. The star trek played well, but they had the volume so low you couldn't here anything. Not enjoyable at all. I registered my comments with the staff and they said they would contact their operator.

Did you go upstairs for Iron Man and Mustang or are they gone now

#35 8 years ago

Ive been to the pinball arcade on spruce st twice in the last 4 days, the GoT pro plays great!

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from MagicMako:

Ive been to the pinball arcade on spruce st twice in the last 4 days, the GoT pro plays great!

GoT plays smooth, but the rule set still confuses me. Honestly, I still prefer the Star Trek Pro and the game is even better with the new code.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from JeffLadder:

Did you go upstairs for Iron Man and Mustang or are they gone now

Sorry... I didn't even know there was an upstairs. Southbowl is a pretty cool place. Bowling, pool, decent beer selection, brick oven pizza... If they could get the pinball machines in order, it would be killer

#38 8 years ago

Another update for University Pinball.

Just got back from some lunch time GOT.

Pin is playing beautifully. Of note, it's set to baby mode, aka it chooses your house for you.
    If you weren't aware, you can hold down both flippers before hitting start and you'll be prompted with a screen that says start competition mode.
    You get to choose your house in competition mode.

It's the second pro I've played. The other one being at the Gallery. Much prefer the one at UP. It plays much faster, and the tilt is forgiving. Opposed to the one at the Gallery that plays super floaty and tilts when you breath on it.

Thus far I've played 2 pros and 1 LE. The UP pro is currently my favorite of the 3.
    Really liking the game. It pains me to say this, but I feel like GoT is the game ST wishes it was. Will be putting some more tokens into it while it's playing so well for sure.

Lastly, if by chance your reading this right now and are in the area. I left 5 credits in it.

#39 8 years ago

That guy who sits on his stool is already playing them and saving his tickets for a flat screen

#40 8 years ago

If you don't mind driving, there's a place called "Pinball Gallery" in Malvern, PA. I went there a few months ago with a buddy, and it's a family owned place where you pay by the hour for all-you-can-play pinball. The owners are exceedingly pleasant, and the games are all lovingly cared for. I can't recommend it enough.

http://www.pinballgallery.net/

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from pepermintswirl:

That guy who sits on his stool is already playing them and saving his tickets for a flat screen

He's got his work cut out for him. I currently have all the high scores, and most of the house high scores.

Also, no ticket dispenser hooked up to it yet. TICKET!

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from ninjabones:

Sorry... I didn't even know there was an upstairs. Southbowl is a pretty cool place. Bowling, pool, decent beer selection, brick oven pizza... If they could get the pinball machines in order, it would be killer

I was there 5 months ago and the Mustang and Iron Man were in great shape (maybe since they are upstairs and nobody knows about them). Because of that Iron Man I now own one. The beer selection was good, I'll have to try the pizza next time I'm there

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from pepermintswirl:

I believe that guy is "RED" or at least that's what he puts in for high scores. He's an ornery fellow but I've seen him put up some crazy scores on Walking Dead. Just don't do a slide save or death save when he's next to you. He will belittle you for any movement beyond a slap save.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

He's got his work cut out for him. I currently have all the high scores, and most of the house high scores.
    Also, no ticket dispenser hooked up to it yet. TICKET!

Damn. I think I had the House Stark or Martell high score.

Nothing beats a fresh game. All the high scores for the taking.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from deibert:

Damn. I think I had the House Stark or Martell high score.
    Nothing beats a fresh game. All the high scores for the taking.

Might have been stretching the truth a bit. Definitely have greyjoy and possibly 2 others. Your Martel is likely safe... for now

RED can say whatever he wants. If the machine is going to let me slide it, I'm going to.
    Only put a few aggressive maneuvers on GoT and got double warnings. Never did tilt it though.

#46 8 years ago

South Bowl update:

IM and Mustang playing nicely.

ST was on. Didn't play it though, so unsure of status.
    RS was turned off.

2 weeks later
    #47 8 years ago

Game of Thrones was just updated with new code at University Pinball. Not sure what was added but all high scores were wiped.

#48 8 years ago

ahh, now i can regain the Grand Champ from you MJD!

-MJM

#49 8 years ago

You've got your work cut out for you University Pinball players

20160311_120027_(resized).jpg20160311_120027_(resized).jpg

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

You've got your work cut out for you University Pinball players

20160311_120027_(resized).jpg

Great score. I saw this today. You didn't happen to leave credits in the machine? If so, I believe we met (kind of).

There are 964 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machines-on-location-in-philadelphia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.