Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Rarehero
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I've really been enjoying my Total Nuclear Annihilation and Taxi for three reasons:

A repeatable goal that's attainable, but challenging, and requires a variety of shots
Satisfying feedback from the machine when that goal is reached
Great Music!

I haven't had an opportunity to play many pre-DMD games, but there must be quite a few that hit these three marks. Can anyone recommend similar machines that I should keep an eye out for?

#2 4 years ago

Bride of Pinbot and Jackbot is kinda like that? Check it out

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Bride of Pinbot and Jackbot is kinda like that? Check it out

Jack*bot is on my list based on my experience with the digital version, just need to find one to spend some time on. I'll have to look into Bride as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

#4 4 years ago

bride is a bit of a one shot pony. Any system 11 is what you are describing. There are many good ones. Whirlwind,diner elvira and more.
The early WPC stuff is also good for that. Easy to approach and figure out and gratifing when you do well.
T2 is another early wpc you would like if terminator is your thing. If you were closer I would have you over and show you some games from my collection.
Cheers

#5 4 years ago

I agree that the system 11 games would be good to look out for. Also, check out fish tales.

#6 4 years ago

I feel like you would like Bram Stokers Dracula as well.

#7 4 years ago

I love my Taxi for the exact reasons you've mentioned. My wife loves System 11 games because it doesn't take long to figure out the objectives but they still present a challenge. Someone said above, the early WPC games are similar as well. Some of my favs are Whirlwind, Earthshaker, Cyclone, Fishtails, Funhouse and White Water.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from mettle64:

A repeatable goal that's attainable, but challenging, and requires a variety of shots
Great Music!

Whirlwind 100%
Shoot the lit compass direction shots, lock the ball. Shoot the lit compass direction shots (these change every time) lock the ball. Shoot the ramp/scoop to start multiball. Shoot the ramp off the 3rd flipper for progressively higher jackpot. Can be set up brutally hard with open lanes, reasonable in the middle, or play all day with the lanes closed up. Probably my favorite game. I have one next to my Taxi.

#9 4 years ago

I just picked up an Earthshaker recently, it is exactly what you are describing. I always looked at ES as a mirror version of WW, though it definitely has it's own charm. WW was the first game I ever bought.

#10 4 years ago

It sounds like I need to go play as many System 11s as I can find! Whirlwind may be the top of my list. I like Lawlor's layouts a lot and it strikes me as a much faster and more intense game than something like Funhouse.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from mettle64:

It sounds like I need to go play as many System 11s as I can find! Whirlwind may be the top of my list. I like Lawlor's layouts a lot and it strikes me as a much faster and more intense game than something like Funhouse.

Also forgot to mention...

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/mark-ritchie

#12 4 years ago

Just bought a Sorcerer and am really digging how easy it is to figure out, but how hard it is to really stack it all up and put it together.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Just bought a Sorcerer and am really digging how easy it is to figure out, but how hard it is to really stack it all up and put it together.

The art and sound effects on Sorcerer really hit me the right way. I'll put that on the list!

#14 4 years ago

A well dialed in Nip It will scratch that itch.

#15 4 years ago

Black Hole, simple rule set, goal attainable shots, 2 level play which includes a challenging shot for multiball. The only thing it is lacking in is great speech. BH has speech that is well, 1969 Nasa Space style sort of computer generated. Gottlieb was way ahead of the game when they made this one, the 2 level play making the game very challenging. I had a love/hate relationship with it as a kid.

#16 4 years ago

Space Station

#17 4 years ago

Don't forget the original HS. Its one of my favorite games and a nice one can be found at a reasonable price. FH is also a great game but they are getting expensive.

In the last 6 months I have added Jack*Bot, ES, WW and Grand Lizard to my collection. I would have to say that JB has the most "Just one more Game" quality. But all are great games and not too difficult to find. Except for GL. I was lucky to find one and even more lucky to obtain a NOS clear coated PF.

#18 4 years ago

Mousin' Around is great for the things you described as well as many system 11's as mentioned. F-14 too.

#19 4 years ago

Big fan of System 11 games. Well designed, challenging, fun.

#20 4 years ago

This thread is why system 11s are all so pricey. Stop it, lol.

#21 4 years ago

I’d even throw Iron Man into the mix for a newer game

#22 4 years ago

I also came here to suggest Iron Man as well. Every game is always 1-2 shots away from achieving something awesome! Also you can have an amazing/best game of your life with just one ball, so you always have a chance of greatness if you drain the first two away.

Check out some YouTube videos on the rules and see what you think. Used market might be good w new re-re-release coming out soon.

#23 4 years ago

great game, but no music. You want 1986 and forward (for music).

#25 4 years ago

Iron man, great music, hard & fast

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from mettle64:

I've really been enjoying my Total Nuclear Annihilation and Taxi for three reasons:
Great Music!
I haven't had an opportunity to play many pre-DMD games, but there must be quite a few that hit these three marks. Can anyone recommend similar machines that I should keep an eye out for?

Off the wall a bit, but Black Hole's multiball is a fun challenge. The music is more sound effects, but the effects and voice give a cool vibe.

Diner is very similar to Taxi in many ways.

I think you're asking for pre-DMD only, right? Cause if not, Scared Stiff fits this bill perfectly. Completing the Stiff-O-Meter is a rush!

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

great game, but no music. You want 1986 and forward.

That's news to me.

#28 4 years ago

You might like F14 Tomcat- it reminds me of TNA in layout and shooting, and has challenging but attainable multiball. Several System 11s will be similar, as other have said. Swords of Fury has a lot of fun things to shoot at. Also, not a System 11, but TX-Sector has some of the best 80s music and looks and is pretty challenging for a simple concept.

#29 4 years ago

Not picky about era!

I've put time on a T2 and didn't love the gimmick of managing the cannon during multiball.

I really want to be incentivized to make a variety of shots around the playfield as well.

#30 4 years ago

He mentions great music, and you guys are talking System 11, and nobody mentioned Black Knight 2000 yet?

A hidden gem in there for him would also be Genesis. Great 80's synth sound, easy to follow rules, but still challenging to get all the way through to fully exposing the robot. Get some new ramps on there, and an alternate backglass, and the game really comes a LONG way.

-Hans

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

He mentions great music, and you guys are talking System 11, and nobody mentioned Black Knight 2000 yet?
A hidden gem in there for him would also be Genesis. Great 80's synth sound, easy to follow rules, but still challenging to get all the way through to fully exposing the robot. Get some new ramps on there, and an alternate backglass, and the game really comes a LONG way.
-Hans

Thanks! I've liked a couple of Gottliebs from that era. I'll try to find a Genesis to put some time on.

#32 4 years ago

If you like TNA, I bet you’d like Black Knight 2000. Fast, furious, pumping music, satisfying shots and audio feedback, simple to understand goals, fun to achieve them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machines-like-tna-and-taxi?hl=codhollandaise and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.