Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Can a machine survive, and even thrive, in a beach house? This is in Northern California, so the humidity should be fine but the salt air can be brutal, even inside the house. For example, a dish rack seemed to prematurely rust. Temperatures don't vary that much.

I'd like to be able to possibly place machine(s) in the garage, but that may be pushing it. I can keep them covered when not in use no matter where I store them.

Anyone with experience with machines on the coast? I'm particularly interested in those with California coast experience.

#2 8 years ago

Salt air = bad

Unconditioned space (garage) = bad

Dish Racks normally don't rust in most environments = very bad

#3 8 years ago

I've had no problems with with three machines in my house on North Carolina's outer banks. I've kept all three indoors, covered with sheets to avoid sun damage to paint. Haven't noticed any rusting. House has central air, but I haven't had to install a de-humidifier or anything like that.

I have a garage. Everything in the garage rusts quickly. Agree with vid: Garage = Bad.

#4 8 years ago

I'm guessing you leave your windows/doors open a lot. Seems like a good place to do it.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from boneman91:

House has central air, but I haven't had to install a de-humidifier or anything like that.

Central Air is a giant dehumidifier if you think about it.

The home's air is drawn across the exchange, losing heat and the water vapor condenses. Then the water runs down a tube to a drain or outdoor evaporation tray.

#6 8 years ago

True. I just meant I didn't have to do anything extra, like put a dehumidifier where I have my machines. I'm only a block and a half from the ocean, and my central air does just fine. Leaving doors and windows open would definitely lead to rust, though.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from wheels:

Anyone with experience with machines on the coast? I'm particularly interested in those with California coast experience.

I lived in San Clemente for almost 20 years and altho the salt air is great for humans, electronic devices not so much. I had a DirecTV box in my garage for less than a year and it just corroded away. Some of the cars in that town looked like they had spent time in the northeast. But the surf was great and lots of pretty ladies running around with very little clothes on.... I hope that helps.

#8 8 years ago

Did you have your machines inside, o-din? How did they fare? Am I being stupid if I have some inside but keep them covered when not in use?

#9 8 years ago

I've had no trouble on the outer banks but it's inside in the a/c

#10 8 years ago

Do you keep them covered? How long have you had them out there?

Thank you everyone for your input.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from wheels:

Did you have your machines inside, o-din?

I didn't have machines at the time but there were some cool 80s games at the miniature golf course and later a nice AFM at the laundromat. And a GnR sitting next to Addams at the Round table pizza. Where I live now 25 miles inland there is no corrosion.

You don't need AC at the beach. And I rarely run it up here. Unless the heat is blasting and I have guests.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machines-in-beach-house and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.