(Topic ID: 124621)

Machine with a center post and deep modes in my price range?

By gr3yh47

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gr3yh47.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hey all,

Been looking for a machine based on the criteria below, and would love to find one that has deep modes *and* a center post (As in mini-post i.e. whirlwind. NOT up-post i.e. big guns) between the flippers.

Must have:

• 3 Ball Multiball
    • Balanced Gameplay - T2 is a good benchmark for a game that barely doesnt fit this criteria. the skull shot is just too important for scoring strats
    • can possibly be had for $1500 give or take. Ideal spot is $1000 - 1500 but can be stretched by a few hundred for solid criteria matches.
    • Modes
    • Center Pin Between flippers
    Nice to have - roughly in order of importance: EDIT: NOT REQUIRED
    • Deeper modes - ability to run multiple modes at the same time or carry into multiball.
    • Various Multiballs
    • Extra flipper somewhere - prefer classic upper flipper with dedicated ramp
    • Awards for combo shots
    • 4-ball multiball
    • Loop Pass
    • Wizard mode
    • Kickback or other outlane ball save that can be re-lit when used
    • Up/down ramps (ramps that have to be activated to be shot)
    • Habitrails
    • Skill shot
    • DMD/Video modes - can take it or leave it, but my feature list would seem to lean toward a DMD game.
    #5 9 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Man I can only think of one game that fits your criteria for any price and it's way out of your range: Spider-Man. I think if you can the center post requirement it might open things up a bit?

I'm hoping someone knows of some 1990s DMD or even late SS games that fit but i guess we'll see. Need the center post for practice - would rather loosen up the modes depth requirement. I'm sure this is out there though - it's a shame that IPDB doesn't have reliable identification of machines that have the center post.

Quoted from romulusx:

Could you please be more specific.

joking? if not what would you like me to expand on?

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

I doubt there are any dmd games for 1500 or less that fit you r criteria. If there was I'd buy it. Hard to find any dmd for 1500 or less let alone with everthing your looking for.

As i said, I'm willing to stretch for the right game. Further, the only 'requirements' are modes + center post + 3 ball multiball (and yes, not a broken game with only one worthwhile shot). doesn't have to be dmd, doesnt have to have anything else really, the rest is "nice to have"

Quoted from markmon:

If it's for practice, I think the center post actually is detrimental. If you rely on it, balls often hit it and drain. You need to learn nudging skills etc. I think you'll improve faster without the center post. I wish Spider-Man didn't have it. Would be easier to death save

it's for practicing center post skills... not just for chill maneuvers but for other nudging skills with a center post. I'm already well practiced with other nudging thanks to my current machine.

#12 9 years ago

as games with modes can be had near the upper end of my range i find it hard to believe that there aren't any with center pins. it's not like the center pin is an expensive feature itself.

Edit: Big hurt has modes, 3 ball multi, and a center pin. I know there are others.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I would also suggest Road Show, as others have. but if your hang up is a center post, as also mentioned, just install one.....your pin, no one will complain, and your opportunities increase dramatically.

thanks but road show is well out of my price range and i'd rather not mar a table

Quoted from canea:

Hate to break it to you, but center posts aren't a plus. They change how you play and even then you can't rely on them to save the ball, so you're better off without them unless they're a part of the game design. If you can get over wanting a post you'll have a lot to choose from...

Why even comment if you are going to try to tell me i shouldn't want what I want, especially when it's already been addressed:

it's for practicing center post skills... not just for chill maneuvers but for other nudging skills with a center post. I'm already well practiced with other nudging thanks to my current machine.

in general if you are going to deviate from the topic at hand to criticize something it's a good idea to read the thread at least.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

A routed T3 may be close to you're price range. It has a center post hole already.

Thanks. I'll take a look. I'm likely going to end up going with a routed machine given what i'm looking for. doesn't bother me.

Thanks. I considered this but unfortunately this game boils down to shoot the center ramp 99% of the time. no good

Quoted from fusion301:

The ultimate center post - Medusa!

1) it's hilarious how big that post is and 2) this machine looks cool zipper flippers on the upper playfield. crazy. Maybe someday I'll try to find one of these. EDIT: you can flip the center post o_0 weird/awesome

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Yeah Whirlwind or Earthshaker. Whirlwind is probably going to fit most of your bill in your first post except no video mode, 4-ball mulitball, no DMD, no true wizard mode, no kickback.
    Next would be T2, other than balanced scoring and 4-ball multiball. No real wizard mode on T2 either.
    Spider-Man fits most; but then it's out of the price range.
    Other than those I'm out of ideas.

Thanks for the reply. Whirlwind is definitely on my list to consider, although is short on mode depth, especially for the price.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gr3yh47.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machine-with-a-center-post-and-deep-modes-in-my-price-range?tu=gr3yh47 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.