Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Toyguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I'd like to add an EM to my collection and saw a Williams Aces and Kings listed on Craigslist. It says it has a problem where it continually scores. I'm wondering if that sounds like a particularly difficult issue to repair, and what a good offering price might be. From photos it looks to be in pretty decent shape but I'm going to look at it tomorrow. He's asking $500 OBO, so I'll be making some lower offer. What would be reasonable?

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

I'm wondering if that sounds like a particularly difficult issue to repair, and what a good offering price might be.

Depends on how able you are in fixing things as to how hard it is, but it could be as simple as a switch stuck closed.

As to what offer to make, you need to see the condition of the playfield, backglass, and cabinet. When you have some solid pics, some of the EM guys could give you a number I'm sure.

#3 9 years ago

Continuous scoring sounds like a misadjusted switch, so not too scary. I'd offer $300 and pay $400.

#4 9 years ago

Beat me by 10 secs! Agree n condition as noted above. My pricing assumed a fairly good overall machine with cabinet wear but a respectable play field.

#5 9 years ago

I played it a few times not the best player I say 250-300 tops in good shape

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I played it a few times not the best player I say 250-300 tops in good shape

Trust this gentleman's opinion.

#7 9 years ago

Went and saw the machine today. When the seller mentioned that "it continuously scores" what he actually meant is that it does not reset at the start of a game. If you reach in and manually push the reset solenoid switch bank, it will reset the scores to zero and start a game. Outside of that, saw a couple other issues. One of the wiring harness plugs is broken in half. It still works if you seat both halves separately and could probably be glued and/or replaced. Not a biggie. Manually triggering the standup targets around the horseshoe resulted in all of the lights turning out except the two in the top center. Not sure if that's a feature or not. The spinner seemed to ramp up the score only in the counterclockwise direction. I suspect most of those are probably just switch related.

The playfield is pristine - it had to have been either replaced or restored. Cabinet and backbox are both great for their age - just the usual bumps and bruises.

I can see that gameplay could be a little dull, but that simplicity might also make it a good first EM. The playfield and cabinet mechanics aren't too sophisticated.

The seller said he'd had the machine gone over at Pinball Wizard in NH last year and it is nice and tidy looking.

Only problem is he's firm on the price at $500. On the plus side, he's willing to deliver. Decisions, decisions...

#8 9 years ago

if the pf is super nice and how is the bg? any paper work?
the broken jones plug is an easy fix, the reset should be easy and a good learning experience.
if you don't mind spending 500 I say go for it. keep it and learn, when the game play gets boring flip it for another.
but beware! EM's tend to multiply

#9 9 years ago

Well, I took the plunge. With the relatively few issues I think it will be a good starter machine to learn on. With the super-nice playfield, it will also be a good candidate for a cabinet restore where I can practice before undertaking the Black Knight. The backglass is a little rough along the bottom but I can always have that restored if I decide to. It isn't horrible though.

I'm hoping to have it home on Monday if he's able to deliver it then. Normally I'd pick it up but my SUV is in the shop after a little run-in with some venison on the hoof.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet Parts
Eville Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 39.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machine-value and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.