View topic image gallery

filter_leakage (resized).jpg
IMG_0009a.jpg
Machine2 (resized).jpg
machine1 (resized).jpg
Vid (resized).jpg
20220628_093622 (resized).jpg
20220628_090352 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider YeOldPinPlayer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Dent00:

The GFCI Outlet will trip for one of two reasons, overload on the circuit, or a ground fault,

Quoted from MattElder:

Electrician chiming in here. This is false. A GFI trips for one reason only... a ground fault. It does not trip due to an overload! It is not an overcurrent device in any capacity.

GFCI and GFI are not exactly the same. https://bates-electric.com/gfi-vs-gfci-outlets/
"The main difference between the GFCI and GFI terminologies is that while a GFI is local, the GFCI is used in the context of both a local receptacle and a circuit breaker which provides ground interference protection for the whole circuit."

And it's a bit misleading to say they trip only on a ground fault because that can lead people to only look for a problem on the ground wire. They will trip on any difference in potential and that could be faulty ground wire or neutral wire, wherever there is a difference between current flowing in and current flowing out. That's one reason you can install one of those outlets on an ungrounded circuit and still be protected.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Keep in mind that the second Mata Hari was plugged in, but NOT powered on. While I was poking around under the playfield, I touched the ground wire and the GFI tripped. So, when I touched the braid on the second (long-term resident) machine, while it was plugged in, but powered off, the GFI tripped.

Is this another clue?

Maybe. Measure the resistance to ground from the braid to the ground wire where the cord enters the machines on both the Mata Hari . They should both be zero.

When you touched the braid and tripped it that means you touching it changed the potential, probably providing a better path to ground. The braid should have a good connection directly to the ground wire on the cord, you touching it should not improve the ground path at all.

I bet the malfunctioning Mata Hari has a small milli-amp current getting onto the braid from somewhere.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Are we close enough to zero

I think they are close enough, both have a good ground connection.

You might disconnect the braid at the transformer and connect your meter in line between end of braid and transformer lug. Set it to read milli-amps. Any current flowing? If not maybe disconnect the ground for the service outlet and connect that to your meter and your meter to ground. Any current flowing that way?
I'm trying to think what's hot with the machine off. Should have current flowing through the service outlet, then to the switch and it should stop there. If you're getting a small current draw maybe bypass or disconnect the service outlet and see if it goes away?

Is the ground braid even connected to the service outlet or cover directly?

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Replace the GFI and see if that helps

I think running an extension cord to a different GFI would be a better option for testing. But it still would not explain why two 'identical' Mata Hari are giving different results on the same GFI. There has to be a fault in the table that trips the GFI outlet when OP touches the ground braid even when the game is off.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
£ 185.00
Displays
Retro Electro Designs
Displays
$ 10.00
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider YeOldPinPlayer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machine-trips-gfi-receptacle-even-when-powered-off?tu=YeOldPinPlayer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.