(Topic ID: 27700)

Machine settings to keep you AND the GF/Wife/Kids happy

By FiveSixPyro

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I enjoy playing pinball and to be honest would leave it on easy if I didn't play in a league. So I practice here and there. Bought a new machine around a month ago (LOTR) and set it on easy so she can play and figure out the rules. I also figured That I should set the game on easy and every time I grand champion set it harder. I have hit 200 million on LOTR after TABA and get under 75M less than I reach it. Nope no Valinor or anything but I feel that the multi balls come too easily and the modes and extra balls are too frequent. If I set it harder she'll never get multi balls or knock the machine. What's a fair medium when you want to keep the people who just want to play for 10-20 minutes with you for a game or two. She's started to get much better and I'm proud of her. I need to practice on harder settings but I can't let her end every game of LOTR with 3 million and no multi balls. Just wondering what settings you have at home to keep YOU AND the WIFE, GF or Kids happy.

#2 11 years ago

Honestly, if you use the presets and don't mind it wiping your scores, then changing the modes via presets to play a game or two is not that bad.

I consider myself a pretty decent LOTR player, not amazing, but not half bad...even on 5-ball Movie Star can't get to Valinor. I have been one shot off completely finishing TABA twice, problem is it always goes to path of the dead after every ring shot. If it was sucked back to the ramp instead I'd have beaten TABA easy.

I'd just use the presets in the menu, frankly. Otherwise you will be going nuts trying to fiddle with everything back and forth. And make no doubt....if you understand the rules of the game, getting multiballs on LOTR is not a difficult task....no offense to your wife.

#3 11 years ago

LOTR isn't wife, kids... casual player game in my opinion. But if getting the multiball quicker is the goal.. The only way to do it would be what Frax said which is to change the settings back and forth.

#4 11 years ago

Both good responses. I wonder how long it would take her to find out she needs pippin if the fellowship wasn't already lit. She knows how to get all 3 multi balls but doesn't put the time in for precise shots or use strategies like light ents, lock sword build ROTK souls and light TTT. end TTT start new mode activate ROTK. BOOM 3 gifts etc. I get too serious and take the fun out of it for her lol. I tried teaching her a dead flipper pass.... Maybe it's my fault.

#5 11 years ago

Some quick, easy changes are: Put some kind of risers under the front two legs to make the game less steep when she plays and increase it to 5 balls per game when she plays. Then back down to three balls for you. Obviously this doesn't work playing doubles unless you plunge away 2 balls. It gets hard to change the software around much more than that...same goes for changing the outlane posts and other mechanical aspects of it.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

Some quick, easy changes are: Put some kind of risers under the front two legs to make the game less steep when she plays and increase it to 5 balls per game when she plays. Then back down to three balls for you. Obviously this doesn't work playing doubles unless you plunge away 2 balls. It gets hard to change the software around much more than that...same goes for changing the outlane posts and other mechanical aspects of it.

Yeah the outlane posts are all the way up and have to be. It think maybe set it to 5 ball and tilt away 2 of my balls before they launch if I set it harder. My tilt is really tight but she doesn't nudge so it's irrelevant in that aspect.

#7 11 years ago

Yeah, the tilt settings are usually irrelevent for new players/women/kids as they generally don't nudge. I have the same dilemma as you (skilled vs. unskilled players) but have a semi-big collection so I usually keep a couple games set up easier than the others, and on a few I do what I suggested to you.

#8 11 years ago

I always though it would be cool to have a casual setting on machines with separate hi scores. I'd love for my kids to get some scores on the board.

#9 11 years ago

I find the happy middle ground because I would forget to change settings. since the wife and kids just like to whack a mole. I put the games on 5 ball, when settings get easy for me I slowly up them so I get better and they dont notice ..they get 5 ball whack a mole, beats them starting 4 player games all the time haha.

I also have the high score reset every 25 games, and I just mentally keep track of the approximation of my score (I am not good enough to be showing off anything crazy cool in scores) this way the wife and kids get a chance to "beat dad" as well as visitors.. which makes them feel good.. and I just dont tell them it resets every 25 games keeps them having fun. in the rare event someone notices I just say "I had to work on something and it lost them all"

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I always though it would be cool to have a casual setting on machines with separate hi scores. I'd love for my kids to get some scores on the board.

check out my ^^ post.. I run into this same problem I have like 1.8 billion on RS and my player 4 was 1.1 billion my family and friends wouldnt even try ..they saw billion and instantly got turned off to "beating me"

with 25 game score reset I am bound to have a shitty game and put up like a 300mill as the 4th player which causes people excited to try and kick me. I enjoy others enjoyment more then playing my own games .. personally I am a fixer .. so I love it when others play my games and break them then I have something to fix!

#11 11 years ago

Whatever keeps my wife and girlfriend happen at the same time works for me

#12 11 years ago

Quoted from Spudgunman:check out my ^^ post.. I run into this same problem I have like 1.8 billion on RS and my player 4 was 1.1 billion my family and friends wouldnt even try ..they saw billion and instantly got turned off to "beating me"

That would be like Lebron James saying, "Michael Jordan was just too good, I don't want to play basketball".

There is a reason to keep those high scores up there. Harbor greatness

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

you need to invest in multiball games then. I would also suggest downgrading to get the ghosting effect. if your really lucky you can start some multi player games on each machine. but only if your super talented.

but seriously where do you get the space and money for multiple machines like that? last I checked those go for more then MM ten fold. and if you break one.. shit.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

That would be like Lebron James saying, "Michael Jordan was just too good, I don't want to play basketball".
    There is a reason to keep those high scores up there. Harbor greatness

yea.. I make sure to keep #1 score on there I don't allow "a gold medal foe everyone" dad rains champion for sure. But I also see my wife just literally get discouraged she cant make it on the board and not have fun any more. after all she plays like 2 hours a month.. I gotta keep those 2 hours happy so I can continue my hobby financially with out getting in trouble!

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

This weekend she asked if I wanted to play a game. On ball one I failed to destroy the ring, received 3 extra balls and when i finally drained(the first ball) I found her upstairs relaxing.... I would have drained earlier but i had a chance to Grand champion so I figured I'd give it a try.. everything lined up perfectly. I'm like crap she wants to play so I set it easy, now she can get a score but we can't play together. So I opened the coin door when I hit TABA and said hey... something new! trying to maybe show her i was taking so long to show her a new part of the game... I think DrJoe has good suggestions. but I think 5 ball and me playing 3 ball (by tilting) will let her advance her skills and we can still compete for a close score. It's fun playing best 2/3 with people you care about. I bought the machine to bond with her since I was always leaving the house to play. Now it's an elephant in the room

#16 11 years ago

Nobody else plays enough to notice/care

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

I bought the machine to bond with her since I was always leaving the house to play

in the "start a new trend / girls and pins thread" it was mentioned that a lot of ..uhh, adult films use the uhh.. tilt feature of pinball machines..

you could always bond a different way then manufacture intended use! (if you do this you need to use catch phrases like "I am lord of the ring" or "you shall pass"

if I play multiplayer games with others depending on how hard they try I will over nudge a tilt or 'fail a post transfer' and claim I need more practice with that move, hell then other times I just suck.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Spudgunman:

in the "start a new trend / girls and pins thread" it was mentioned that a lot of ..uhh, adult films use the uhh.. tilt feature of pinball machines..
    you could always bond a different way then manufacture intended use!
    if I play multiplayer games with others depending on how hard they try I will over nudge a tilt or 'fail a post transfer' and claim I need more practice with that move, hell then other times I just suck.

sounds fun. i think that thread was before my time here. going to have to search it out! When we play I am more aggressive and take more chances. The post transfer does work well for an oops! Damn your turn! If that gets old a nice cradle separation will do the trick lol. I still suck compared to real players. so I have to practice to get better and have a chance in my league but I'm a world away from the: "oooo pinball? That might be fun!" And We do bond outside of a pinball game just for the record lol.

#19 11 years ago

I just put my pins on factory settings.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Spudgunman:

you could always bond a different way then manufacture intended use! (if you do this you need to use catch phrases like "I am lord of the ring" or "you shall pass"

Oh my god...that's horrible LOL.

My wife and I met through online MMO, both paid 300$ each for lifetime subscriptions to Lord of the Rings Online before it launched, and even WE aren't big enough nerds to do crap like that...

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

This weekend she asked if I wanted to play a game. On ball one I failed to destroy the ring, received 3 extra balls and when i finally drained(the first ball) I found her upstairs relaxing.... I would have drained earlier but i had a chance to Grand champion so I figured I'd give it a try.. everything lined up perfectly. I'm like crap she wants to play so I set it easy, now she can get a score but we can't play together. So I opened the coin door when I hit TABA and said hey... something new! trying to maybe show her i was taking so long to show her a new part of the game... I think DrJoe has good suggestions. but I think 5 ball and me playing 3 ball (by tilting) will let her advance her skills and we can still compete for a close score. It's fun playing best 2/3 with people you care about. I bought the machine to bond with her since I was always leaving the house to play. Now it's an elephant in the room

My whole point was the wife/gf...you know. Having a wife with a gf on the side...keeping them both happy...

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Spudgunman:

I also have the high score reset every 25 games, and I just mentally keep track of the approximation of my score

I do similar with my Bally/Williams machines, but the minimum is 250 games on those. They keep the GC score, however, so that's nice. It sounds like you're saying Stern games reset ALL the scores, correct?

Another thing I do is to keep a list of personal best scores on a dry erase board. It works like a high scores list, but a single person can only have a single score on each game.

#23 11 years ago

My thoughts - let them struggle a bit. Like when Jessica first came over, I would let her play on default settings - and she would struggle and get frustrated. Now, before she got so frustrated that she burned out on the games, I'd ask her what was wrong and what was it that was frustrating her. She'd explain the situation to me, and I'd show her some very good starter points.

For example, she did not know about cradling the ball. I showed her that, and I explained to her that now you can re-focus, relax, think things through, and if you want to try for it - line up a shot with that flipper now. I told her first just cradle until she got the hang of it. From there, I told her, ok now try to go for "this" shot or "that" shot. She'd struggle for a bit, but then she'd get the shot. THEN I showed her, "hey....see the artwork on the playfield - notice how THIS part of the artwork was kinda like an indicator for where the ball will go if you hit the ball with the flipper at this moment....isn't that easier than cradling and trying to aim by eye..." - once she saw that, she started getting really good - and way more importantly - she started enjoying herself.

Another good example of helping her along was showing her the in-lanes, and how lighting up all 3 would give her some kind of multiplier. Or with DE games, I'd explain to her how to get the skill shot when first launching the ball, or how to get the skill shot on games like MM or AFM. Those lil' achievements and learning some easy points can be satisfying and boost one's confidence.

I like to think there's a reason why WAY more men participate in things like cars and pinball - women love to play too - sometimes they just need a lil' guidance/direction. Like Jessica, she loves to participate in some things that I like; she just does really well when someone holds her hand and gives her some confidence. There's a fine line between giving her confidence and micro-managing her every single move and shot on a pin, and sometimes - I purposefully let her struggle until she asks for help, or I let her "try to fly" and she soars.

Proof is in the photograph - she nailed Cryptjam on TFTC.

// Error: Image 37873 not found //

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I do similar with my Bally/Williams machines, but the minimum is 250 games on those. They keep the GC score, however, so that's nice. It sounds like you're saying Stern games reset ALL the scores, correct?
    Another thing I do is to keep a list of personal best scores on a dry erase board. It works like a high scores list, but a single person can only have a single score on each game.

your correct.. I dont remember anything but 25 in the settings!

#25 11 years ago

If you're finding that when you try to play together that your ball times are too long then why not give yourself a timer that, when it runs out, you must let it drain? Even set the timer to the average ball time of your wife so that you're on an even keel. It would change your strategy to chase quick points rather than the long-haul, but at least you'd be ensuring your wife is enjoying herself rather than getting bored waiting for her turn.

My JP doesn't have the problem of ultra long ball times but I have far longer ball times than my wife. Play sessions tended to boil down to her just watching me 80% of the time.

What I do is let her also be players 2, 3 and 4 so she gets a relatively equal play time to me.

#26 11 years ago

Hard settings, tournament play, wide out lanes, extra ball for special, steep angle, etc.

#27 11 years ago

My wife really enjoys any game with a shaker motor for some reason......

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Solder_Splash:

My wife really enjoys any game with a shaker motor for some reason......

Honestly, I have noticed this trend - every girl I've met seems to love machines with shaker motors.

#29 11 years ago

My wife was not impressed with the shaker in my AFM. She says she was satisfied without it.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Nobody else plays enough to notice/care

+1.

#31 11 years ago

well going against the grain here.. POTC... no shaker.. my wife has a game to play now.. must be that hot dude on the backglass

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

#33 11 years ago

Maybe a certain shaped handle on the plunger? Definitely needs to be made out of some kind of rubber for grip.... those LOTR skill shots need a delicate hand....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machine-settings-to-keep-you-and-the-gfwifekids-happy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.