20170117_220602 (resized).jpg
20170117_220540 (resized).jpg
20170117_110717 (resized).jpg
20170117_110706 (resized).jpg
20170117_110658 (resized).jpg
20170117_110652 (resized).jpg
20170117_110633 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

So a friend of my Dad has a Chicago Coin 1974 GIN sitting down in his basement.
It's been down there for 16 years since he built the house. Nice layer of dust on it. Basement has no windows and used for storage.

So I'm checking the playfield and backglass out and ask him if it works. He says yes.
So he plugs it in, I cross my fingers and reach down to turn it on.
Flip the switch and nothing happens but a buzzer sound. I open the coin door up and there's 1 light on under the reel and then the reel starts to spin.
Then poof! About a apple sized flame ball erupts to the left of the reel.
I shout "holy crap, there's a fire!"
I grabbed the manual and start waving at it.
He unplugs the machine and finally the flame went out.
I didn't go into trying to trouble shoot the problem or even look at what was on fire. (Super dim lighting from 1 old bulb in middle of room)

Am I crazy that I still negotiated a price on it and bought a game that 2 minutes before was on fire?
I feel like I overpaid and was hoping he'd just give it to me but for $100 it's the cheapest game I ever bought!

Once I pick it up and get her home I'll see how bad it is and decide what to do at that point. Restoration? Nice coffee table?
Maybe i can finally join the EM Club!

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Am I crazy that I still negotiated a price on it and bought a game that 2 minutes before was on fire?

Nope you sound like the rest of us.

I'd say it doesn't need to be a coffee table. It's probably just a solenoid

Post pics when you start cleaning and troubleshooting.

#3 7 years ago

Everything is fixable. (and you probably overreacted a little too )

$100 is fine.

#4 7 years ago

Easy fix.

Congrats on the find.

#5 7 years ago

Pics please! You only paid $100 so you should be fine. Hopefully you can get it up and running again.

#6 7 years ago

$10,000 by Christmas with a free fire extinguisher!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Easy fix.
Congrats on the find.

Thanks! With it being my first em I'm sure ill be checking out your guides.

Quoted from pinlink:

Pics please! You only paid $100 so you should be fine. Hopefully you can get it up and running again.

I hope to grab some today before I head home. It's going to taunt me leaving it here and not bringing it home this trip to start tearing into it

#8 7 years ago

$100.00 is just fine. Get it running, and when you feel it is time to go, you could sell it for much more. Wish I could find $100.00 EM pins.

#9 7 years ago

Disco Inferno!

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

$100.00 is just fine. Get it running, and when you feel it is time to go, you could sell it for much more. Wish I could find $100.00 EM pins.

Yeah me too! Hope to have it ready for yegpin this year.

#11 7 years ago

That buzzer sound you heard was most like the coil that caught fire locked on. A buzzing sound traditionally means "shut 'er down!" in the EM world. Unless, of course, your game features a buzzer...

Any EM that's been sitting for years will need to get a good going over inside before plugging them in. Good luck with it. It should clean up nicely.

#12 7 years ago

Another reason to always have the manual nearby.

#13 7 years ago

#smokindeal

#14 7 years ago

Fire sale

#15 7 years ago

Snapped a few pics b4 heading home. Has the complete wiring schematic, manual, etc.

I'll send more when I pic it up and clean it up

20170117_110633 (resized).jpg20170117_110633 (resized).jpg

20170117_110652 (resized).jpg20170117_110652 (resized).jpg

20170117_110658 (resized).jpg20170117_110658 (resized).jpg

20170117_110706 (resized).jpg20170117_110706 (resized).jpg

20170117_110717 (resized).jpg20170117_110717 (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

That's hot! You will probably having up and running for pennies.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

That's hot! You will probably having up and running for pennies.

Hope so but I'm a complete newb when it comes to anything pre dmd. Any guidance from anyone, muchly appreciated! Probably Vid's guides?

#18 7 years ago

I've lucked in to two "free" machines but felt guilty and ended up forcing them to accept some money. $100 is as good as free. If all the parts are there it's probably a stuck switch and that's it. You might have a coil to replace. Cheap fix.

#19 7 years ago

I'll keep you on speed dial D

#20 7 years ago

Very cool art. Can't see the layout very well but I bet it's fun.

I'm sure you can get running with a little elbow grease. Check out RyanClaytor EM threads to see his approach to getting his new purchases running

Great Find!

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Very cool art. Can't see the layout very well but I bet it's fun.
I'm sure you can get running with a little elbow grease. Check out RyanClaytor EM threads to see his approach to getting his new purchases running
Great Find!

Thanks for the tip. The back glass and side art would make you think beach theme but the plastics and drops are card related? Queens, jacks, etc.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

never mind. It is called Gin. Forgot about the card game

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Great story. Thanks for the laugh. Yep, we are all crazy in this hobby I have decided.

#24 7 years ago

Here's what I found inside. The 28 page parts catalog with detailed pics are awesome.
Apparently this is a "New Era" machine.
The best is the line on the Dear Operator sheet "feel free to call us collect".
Wow, how times have changed.

20170117_220540 (resized).jpg20170117_220540 (resized).jpg

20170117_220602 (resized).jpg20170117_220602 (resized).jpg

20170117_220507 (resized).jpg20170117_220507 (resized).jpg

20170117_220430 (resized).jpg20170117_220430 (resized).jpg

20170117_221605 (resized).jpg20170117_221605 (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

never mind. It is called Gin. Forgot about the card game

You never played a game of Gin on a beach before?!?

#26 7 years ago

great find. should be a nice game when you've got her up and running

oh, and this:

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

oh, and this:

could have spent the whole day without seein that.

#28 7 years ago

There are multiple things that can make a late-model Chicago Coin coil burst into flames. But all generally fixable.

Some broad things to note:
1) Score reels use a plastic wiper assembly with riveted metal fingers. This works fine until the rivets start to loosen, and things start connecting that should not be connected. The reels themselves are connected with an edge connector, which makes it easy to take the reel itself out to inspect and clean.

Note that those edge connectors have a limited lifespan. Try to do your initial cleanup on each reel in one pass, if possible.

2) Bonus units - the games seem to have very little protection if certain steppers will not step down. Rather than firing a coil multiple times via motor, the coil itself will just lock on (and eventually burst into flames). This saved money on cams on the score motor, but makes for some interesting repairs sometimes... good news is that you generally just have to clean the steppers and install a new coil and you're good to go.

For a Gin, I'd do the typical EM cleanup - go through and (at a minimum) test each stepper unit, stepping up and down until it steps crisply from step to step and resets smoothly. Check all the score reels and ensure that all the wipers are present and not shorting, and the reel steps smoothly with very little wiggle in the wiper rivets. Reassemble and see how far you've gotten before doing further deep cleaning. Also, check your fuse values against the schematic. That's not EM specific, but worth repeating.

Again, this is broad advice - not specific to your problem.

(small plug for my show - early episodes deal with general EM tech - http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com - you may wish to listen to certain episodes related to troubleshooting, schematics, stepper rebuilds and score reel care and maintenance - doing a search on the site should bring up related episodes)

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

could have spent the whole day without seein that.

sorry, there doesn't appear to "hide" videos, however I didn't hold a gun to your head and make you watch it

#30 7 years ago

bingopodcast
Man that's a lot a great info!
I wasn't planning on a 700km return trip to pick the games up till after the superbowl but now I'm thinking/planning Friday after reading your post!
I'll be checking out your show for sure.

#31 7 years ago

dirkdiggler always happy to help.

Note that depending on the area of the fire, you may have a bit of cleanup, new wires to run or just plain learning to do to get it operational, but the late-era Chicago Coin games are actually pretty good games to learn on (in my opinion).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machine-on-fire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.