839E381A-3DBA-42B1-BB7B-CD7EE50BC44A (resized).png
anvil-brick-trowels-57490-64_1000.jpg
Laser ball (resized).jpg
AEA4335F-BD80-479E-91C8-E86CEB360E9E (resized).jpeg
image-4 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190702_040834517 (resized).jpg
4138f1 (resized).jpg
D623D08F-B59B-43AE-9658-D32B21D25D06 (resized).jpeg
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 years ago

"Capt. Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy"

so many ways to mess that one up

#103 4 years ago

'Bonzai Run'. People even get this one wrong while writing down their personal favorite Pat Lawlor games.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/search?s=1&what=posts&q=Bonzai+run&topic-machine=&pinsider=&age_days=&subforum=0&sort_by=date&sort_order=DESC#results

It's sad and hilarious at the same time.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

What is the correct pronunciation of "Bally"? Rhymes with jolly? hawley? valley? I've heard people say it all three ways, I always pronounce it like valley.

Yours is the correct way. Same as the hotel in vegas. You don't say you're staying at Bolly's Las vegas lol.

#105 4 years ago

Also - not machine related but so many people think its Micro playfields when actually is Mirco. Assuming pronounced like Meerkat.

#106 4 years ago

In German classified ads IJ is often called Indianer Jones. That‘s the German word for Native American.

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Also - not machine related but so many people think its Micro playfields when actually is Mirco. Assuming pronounced like Meerkat.

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

What is the correct pronunciation of "Bally"? Rhymes with jolly? hawley? valley? I've heard people say it all three ways, I always pronounce it like valley.

Rhymes with alley, dally, galley, Halley, pally, rally, Sally, tally, & valley!

(Note most pronounce the comet dude's name incorrectly.)

#109 4 years ago

Big one for me not pin related but see it all the time.

Trailor (as in enclosed trailer)

#110 4 years ago

"trough"

#111 4 years ago

Demogorgon is often mentioned as demogorgan.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Demogorgon is often mentioned as demogorgan.

... and demagorgon, and demagorgan...

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Calling any of them “tables”

Why is this wrong? "The mighty table king" goes back 40 years. Is this a personal pet peeve, or a decision of the collective?

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Why is this wrong? "The mighty table king" goes back 40 years. Is this a personal pet peeve, or a decision of the collective?

If you're British, you can call it a table.

My vote for oddity is people on streams keep calling saucers "scoops". Scoops are under playfield mechs like on Whirlwind.

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

It's "Bally table king" if, as I presume, you're talking about Pinball Wizard. (Going on 51 years!)

Funny, we were just discussing Bally...

#116 4 years ago

Pinball FX, The Pinball Arcade, etc. call them "tables" and "table packs". Google "pinball table" and you will see it is widely used on the web and is not going away.

#117 4 years ago

On those old interviews recently released, Harry Williams calls them tables. Nuff said.

#118 4 years ago

1933 All-American

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=58

Described as "pin table".

Pin Table — This is an older term and refers to a game that was manufactured with legs to allow it to stand on the floor. Games that did not come with legs were often smaller in size and were referred to as Table Top Games (aka Counter Games ). Many games made in the 1930's and early 1940's were made in both a table top version and a pin table version.

#119 4 years ago

Look under the Pinside marketplace heading, there are pinball machines for sale and wanted!! Not tables....

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Look under the Pinside marketplace heading, there are pinball machines for sale and wanted!! Not tables....

I see lots of pinball tables.

What, synonyms too tricky for you?

I may just start only referring to them as "decks" just to get on the nerves of inflexible thinkers.

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I see lots of pinball tables.

I see lots of pinball machines. I guess we can agree to disagree.

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

I see lots of pinball machines. I guess we can agree to disagree.

Disagree about what, whether they all mean the same thing? I say they do, how can you say they don't?

It's like how a groundhog is a woodchuck is a whistle pig. If you never heard it called a whistle pig, it might sound weird to you, but that doesn't mean it isn't known as that.

#124 4 years ago

And the result of that "debate" was that there are lots of valid terms for pinball decks, sorry "poppapin"

The stupid poll was not the debate. The beauty of English is that we have lots of choices, allowing for variety and shades of meaning.

Is "poppa" in your name supposed to mean "papa" as in father? If so, that's not the "proper" way to spell it... Of course you are free to spell it that way, proves my point.

#125 4 years ago

Tables are flat. Pool table, billiard table, air hockey table, dining table.

ButWhoCaresPunkin

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Tables are flat.

But not always horizontal. Periodic table, drafting table, data table. (or not always flat, like water table)

#127 4 years ago

Bugger, got me on drafting table.

#128 4 years ago

It's not pinball but this one always gets me, it's ALDI(all-dee), not ALDIS(all-deez)

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

It's not pinball but this one always gets me, it's ALDI(all-dee), not ALDIS(all-deez)

Me too, no one ever says let's go to Walmart's or Target's.

#130 4 years ago

Ain't you never been to da Walmarts?

#131 4 years ago

You'd think so, but my gf always calls them those. She also says "Red Lobster's" and "Baskin and Robbins".

#132 4 years ago

Is "poppa" in your name supposed to mean "papa" as in father? If so, that's not the "proper" way to spell it... Of course you are free to spell it that way, proves my point.

Wow, I am so fn grateful you're allowing me to spell it that way. No, it's not supposed to mean papa as in father.

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Wow, I am so fn grateful you're allowing me to spell it that way. No, it's not supposed to mean papa as in father.

I wasn't "allowing" you to, and the point is valid whether it meant "papa" or not. You're just being contradictory and twisting meanings, buh-bye.

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

All Deze? Nuts!

#135 4 years ago

Midevil madness
Medevil madness

#136 4 years ago

Evel Knievel is easily the game with the most varied misspellings.

I started to document them once but got bored after finding two dozen variations! When I run across my notes, I might complete the effort.

Not a title, but "demogorgon" may be on track to exceed that count, thanks to Stranger Things.

3 months later
#137 3 years ago

When I first saw this, I thought it must be a newb distributor posting. It sticks out to me every time I check in on that thread...

"Black Knight Swords of Rage"

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-jurassic-park-pro-and-other-nib-games

#138 3 years ago

Too many times I have heard people recalling "Pinball Deluxe" as one of their favorite games from decades ago. Or "that police chase pinball". Can't forget people looking for the Caddyshack pinball either (which could reference more than one game actually).

What really infuriates me is when I'm standing in front of a game and people ask (and point to the PF) if I've ever made the ball "go up there".

#139 3 years ago

1975 Bally Wizard err or is it Wizard!!

1 month later
#140 3 years ago

The Italian exporter has a "No Good Golfers" for sale! Rare title... sounds fun...

#141 3 years ago

It’s the film not the pin, but my beloved Father-in-Law refers to that movie with the dinosaurs as “Drastic Park.”

#142 3 years ago

Tron is actually Tron: Legacy (or TRON: Legacy if you want to go full pedant).

#143 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

The Italian exporter has a "No Good Golfers" for sale! Rare title... sounds fun...

It actually says "golfers" in the backglass, although the L is a bit broken.

2 years later
#144 1 year ago

[bump]

We got us a Time Wrap over here:

839E381A-3DBA-42B1-BB7B-CD7EE50BC44A (resized).png839E381A-3DBA-42B1-BB7B-CD7EE50BC44A (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 21.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

16,500 (OBO)
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machine-names-that-people-get-wrong/page/3?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.