Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Atomicboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

My LW3 machine does not work when I turn it on. Lights up makes noise, but nothing on the screen and nothing else works. BUT, if I leave it on for 5 mins and turn it off and then back on all is fine again. Any ideas.

#2 12 years ago

Well, it would be nice to know what voltages are actually passing through the psb when you are in that "no work" phase.

Regardless - I don't see how it could be anything other than a flakey power supply board. GPE sells rebuild kits. Check your fuse clips too. Notorious for being crappy.

Possible it's the transformer, but unlikely I would think. I'd measure voltages entering and exiting the power supply board when you are having problems. If the input is good, but the output is bad - there you go.

here's someone's blog entry about rebuilding a DE psb:

http://kcpins.com/archives/137

#3 12 years ago

You need to replace the 5v capacitor on the power supply board. Check the 5v test points when you turn it on cold. If you leave it on you should see the 5 volts rise. Once it hits close enough to the mark the cpu board can boot. Dealt with this issue on my JP a few months back.

#4 12 years ago

Does the display at least give you the version and checksum info, then go blank, or nothing at all?

Are there any attract insert lights?

Watch the lights on the cpu board as well, they will advise what is happening. If the display cpu controller doesn't work right, that can do screwy things to the whole system sometimes.

#5 12 years ago

I agree it may be the capacitor on the power supply. Any visible signs like bulging on the top or bad solder joints would help verify this as an issue. Have you taken a good look at the boards yet Jgel?

Atomic also provided some good advice on trying to troubleshot the problem. Hope your able to pin it down.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from dung:

You need to replace the 5v capacitor on the power supply board. Check the 5v test points when you turn it on cold. If you leave it on you should see the 5 volts rise. Once it hits close enough to the mark the cpu board can boot. Dealt with this issue on my JP a few months back.

+1

#7 12 years ago

Yes, I meant to add the cap stuff as well and got side tracked at work (not sure why I'm working on a friday...), check that first.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machine-having-to-warm-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.