IMG_0029 (resized).JPG
IMG_0027 (resized).JPG
IMG_0026 (resized).JPG
IMG_0025 (resized).JPG
14893336797581260991112 (resized).jpg
Mystic_FastReactCoilSwitches.jpg
IMAG1986 (resized).jpg
IMAG1987 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 years ago

Post some clear top view pictures showing the switch gaps.

#6 7 years ago

The rubbers look too loose to me so they're rebounding too much - I would go back to 2.5"

You can also try putting a piece of paper between one switch to stop it activating so you can see which one needs more gap adjustment.

#7 7 years ago

BTW, the leaf against the rubber needs to be hard up against it (I don't mean touching, I mean pushing against the rubber), otherwise the rubber will tend to fling the leaf backwards (towards switch closure) on return.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Does this era of Bally have those small ceramic disc capacitors along the switches?

The way Bally does things is they ignore switches that are "stuck closed" so shorted switch capacitors won't do this. Slingshots shouldn't have capacitors on the switches anyway

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Are these slingshot switches part of the switch matrix?

Yep, they're part of the switch matrix.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Quoted from Quench:

> Slingshots shouldn't have capacitors on the switches anyway

Are you positive? No disrespect, but I'm almost certain they had little ceramic capacitors wired into some switches to artificially keep them closed a bit longer to the CPU had more time to "see" the switch closure. I remember my last Bally/Stern had them wired into the pop bumpers.

Pop Bumpers: Yes
Slingshots: No
Mystic_FastReactCoilSwitches.jpgMystic_FastReactCoilSwitches.jpg

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Just curious, any idea why the pops get them but the slings don't?

Not sure actually, maybe to reduce the indirect edge sensitivity of the slingshots since they're a greater hazard for outlane ball loss.

I don't have an early Stern machine handy at the moment, but a few Stern schematics I've looked at don't even show capacitors on the Pop Bumpers, yet some schems show caps on drop targets?? although the early solid state Stern manuals are a bit all over the place.

Essentially you'll see caps spec'd on switches that the ball hits at high speed like standup targets, rollover buttons, etc. which are important for game play. Capacitors extend the time of switch closures so the MPU can better sense them when it scans through the switch matrix.

Glad to hear the OP has resolved the problem!

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Alright, so when the slings hit on this game it's supposed to switch between eye and pyramid.

Ok, please ignore what I showed on the switch schematic about the caps not being on the slingshot switches.
Can you re-install the caps and report back on the intermittent mode change issue.

Since you've reinstalled the tighter rubbers and adjusted the switch gaps, that may have fixed the original machine gunning problem. Don't forget to make sure the leaf touching the rubber is hard up against it.

#32 7 years ago

I put a cap on a slingshot switch on a machine and on the rare occasion (about one in 20 hits) it will double sling. You were using a 0.047uf capacitor and not a higher value?

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

You could try a smaller value cap too, like 0.01uf.

I tried other capacitor values earlier when trying the 0.047uf cap.
0.022uf still double slingshotted but was more rare.
0.01uf didn't double slingshot but on the very rare occasion missed scoring (it is better than no cap though which misses scoring a little more often on very fast ball hits).

The OP might get different results but it doesn't look like lowering the cap value will solve this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machine-gunning-slingshot?tu=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.