IMG_0029 (resized).JPG
IMG_0027 (resized).JPG
IMG_0026 (resized).JPG
IMG_0025 (resized).JPG
14893336797581260991112 (resized).jpg
Mystic_FastReactCoilSwitches.jpg
IMAG1986 (resized).jpg
IMAG1987 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 7 years ago

What happens if you remove the rubber and trip the switch with your finger? Does it machine gun?

Quoted from Quench:

BTW, the leaf against the rubber needs to be hard up against it (I don't mean touching, I mean pushing against the rubber), otherwise the rubber will tend to fling the leaf backwards (towards switch closure) on return.

This is absolutely correct. Remove the rubber, bend the outer leaves outward quite a bit, put the rubber back on. Adjust the gap with the inner leaves only. This way, when the sling activates, the outer blades will move outward with the rubber and will not vibrate against the inner blades.

Quoted from Quench:

I don't have an early Stern machine handy at the moment, but a few Stern schematics I've looked at don't even show capacitors on the Pop Bumpers, yet some schems show caps on drop targets?? although the early solid state Stern manuals are a bit all over the place.

I haven't found any classic Sterns with caps on the pops. I can only assume that because they clocked at 2MHz they figured they would catch the switch closures. My QS, with clearcoated playfield, is so fast in the pops that I noticed it missed some switch closures. I added caps to my pops and they've been great ever since.

Quoted from aobrien5:

Alright, so when the slings hit on this game it's supposed to switch between eye and pyramid. It's not always doing it now. It seems if the ball hits low on the sling, it'll fire, but not switch "modes." This is one of those things that may have always happened but was harder to tell because of the machine gunning.

When the caps were clipped and it didn't switch between eye and pyramid, did it score points? (Probably not.) I think the cure here may be to clip the caps, bend the outer leaves out and tighten the gap with the inner leaves. This will give longer switch closure time between the time the ball first makes contact with the rubber and the time it's pushed away by the arm.

#29 7 years ago

Oh good. I edited my post above.

#34 7 years ago

You could try a smaller value cap too, like 0.01uf. Maybe that would be enough to read the switch closure without causing the machine gunning.

2 months later
#58 6 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Looks like I have capacitors in all three that at machine gunning. I only took pics of two of them though.

My Meteor has caps on the slings and they don't machine gun. You need them for proper operation.

As mentioned before, if you take the rubber off and just press the switch do the slings machine gun?

#60 6 years ago

I currently have Quicksilver, Meteor and Star Gazer set up in my game room. All 3 have factory caps on the slings.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machine-gunning-slingshot?tu=dothedoo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.