• Latest reply 7 years ago by drsfmd
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

partyanimalflipper_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

The lower left flipper on my newly acquired Party Animal is intermittently machine gunning. It's a double stack switch-- one set controls the lower flipper, the other sends a signal to the upper coil. I don't have a ton of experience with multi flippered machines, but this is a bit different than my other experiences.

I have played with the EOS switch until I'm blue in the face. Last night I reflowed both the coil connections and the switch connections... and that's when I noticed a couple of tabs of wire coming off the right side pair of that double switch stack, as though someone had cut a diode, resistor, or cap out of the connection. In looking at the schematic I saw the snippet below-- am I to read that as a cap bridging the two sides of that switch? Could the lack of this cap be what's causing my machine gunning problem? If I've read this wrong, the full schematic is at http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1763/Bally_1987_Party_Animal_Manual_Section_2_Schematics.pdf - and this particular snippet comes from page 48.

partyanimalflipper_(resized).jpgpartyanimalflipper_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Sometimes the problem can be a broken wire in the coil, if you've tried everything else.

But yes, that is a small ceramic disc cap notated on the schematics.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Sometimes the problem can be a broken wire in the coil, if you've tried everything else.

Thoughts on the capacitor?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Thoughts on the capacitor?

I made a quick edit on the earlier post above.

One thing to add--that cap is for reducing the spark on the EOS. It probably won't have an effect on machine gunning.

#5 7 years ago

I would swap out the coil. I had the same thing happened to me with my baby pac man. I adjusted with switch and checked the diodes but in the end it was a bad coil.

Isn't that capacitor there to add an extra charge to the primary coil?

The secondary part of the coil is what causes the flipper to stay energized for holding the ball.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Isn't that capacitor there to add an extra charge to the primary coil?

It is supposed to reduce the amount of sparking and help extend the life of the switch contacts.

#7 7 years ago

Any time the flipper coil rat-tat-tats it's because of a broken wire inside the coil.

Replace the coil with a new one of the correct part number as called out in the manual.

#8 7 years ago

The 6803 Bally machines are notoriously plagued with little problems like this. After checking the coil and probably replacing it. Check your flipper switches and EOS switches. I have had both be pitted and or burnt to the point they didn't make good contact any more. That will also sometimes cause a machine gunning flipper.

#9 7 years ago

To wrap this one up, adding the capacitor fixed the problem entirely...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machine-gunning-6803-flipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.