(Topic ID: 232974)

Machine dead due to line filter

By Paddypaws

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

filter (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

My Black Rose wouldn't switch on yesterday, and it turns out the fuse in the games line cord had blown its a T5 Amp ( 240v game in the UK) . After a bit of head scratching discovered that the line filter module has an internal short. The Varistor and thermistor are still fine. I've jumpered out the line filter and the game works again.

My question is- does a pinball really need a line filter? The line cord goes to the transformer which surely will protect the electronics from any high frequency noise on the power line and also protect out-side world from any noise generated in the pinball? I was tempted not to bother replacing the filter box. What do we think? Here's a picture of the type of thing-

filter (resized).jpgfilter (resized).jpg
    #2 5 years ago

The line filter helps to reduce emissions and transients from both entering and exiting the product. The transformer isn't designed to protect from emissions, it also produces emissions, it's not an isolation transformer. The line filter is also a major part of EMC compliance.

#3 5 years ago

Hi,
    Your pinball doesn't need it to work properly in an home environment. Often line filters are put in to protect other devices on the same net.
    On the other hand, I don't believe your transformer is going to block noise, it transforms noise as well and that's one reason why there are many caps in a machine.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMario:

Hi,
    Your pinball doesn't need it to work properly in an home environment. Often line filters are put in to protect other devices on the same net.
    On the other hand, I don't believe your transformer is going to block noise, it transforms noise as well and that's one reason why there are many caps in a machine.

I agree I can't see any need to replace it. I suppose there may be a spike from the transformer when switching off as the magnetic field collapses in the primary, but the switch will have broken the connection to the mains source as this happens. Perhaps low frequency noise or single spikes might be a problem. As for any high frequency noise or RF, I don't think anything remotely high frequency will get through a pinball transformer of that size, as it's designed to work efficiently at 50/60Hz. Also on the secondary side the bridge rectifiers will isolate the rest of the machine from the transformer. Unless anyone has thought of something else I should think about? It's not really a problem, Its not a difficult or particularly expensive thing to fix, it just got me thinking 'why would I do this'!

#5 5 years ago

Is the varister(MOV), fuse, etc still in place at least?

If so, it is probably ok.

Personally, I would spend the 10-20 bucks and replace it; both for piece of mind and for resale etc....

But, I don't think it will "hurt" it....
    Maybe a little radio noise

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machine-dead-due-to-line-filter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.