Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by pinbum
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20131203_130106.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I had a couple games shipped last week by one of the main shippers, and one of them got pretty significantly damaged. I stretched a bit to get a really nice game and now the cabinet has a chunk missing from the side, about 2" x 1" and about 1/3 of the way through the plywood.

Anyway, I had them insured and now I need a quote for the repair. I emailed a couple of the well known restoration people last week, to try and get an estimate. However, neither one of them has gotten back to me. Any suggestions on who else I can get an *insurance claim* estimate from?

#2 10 years ago

Someone makes cabs out there. I would get a cab quote from them. I believe its a guy in Europe he used to list on ebay. He would be the highest quote which is best for you.

#3 10 years ago

Doug Huse at Let's Play Pinball makes nice cabs. http://www.letsplaypinball.com/cabinets.html

#4 10 years ago

Doug has alot of happy customers on this board. I plan to use one of his cabinets when I restore my TAF.

I would price out his cabinet, new decals and ask here how many hours to strip a cabinet and redecal it.

#5 10 years ago

Can you take some good pics of the damage?

That will help a lot in evaluating it.

Did you document the damage with the shipper?

Was it noted at drop-off?

Was there any reason you did not refuse acceptance of a damaged item?

RussMyers

Quoted from Cheeks:

I had a couple games shipped last week by one of the main shippers, and one of them got pretty significantly damaged. I stretched a bit to get a really nice game and now the cabinet has a chunk missing from the side, about 2" x 1" and about 1/3 of the way through the plywood.
    Anyway, I had them insured and now I need a quote for the repair. I emailed a couple of the well known restoration people last week, to try and get an estimate. However, neither one of them has gotten back to me. Any suggestions on who else I can get an *insurance claim* estimate from?

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from RussMyers:

Did you document the damage with the shipper?

Was it noted at drop-off?

Was there any reason you did not refuse acceptance of a damaged item?

I did not note it at drop-off, my fault. The games were wrapped and I've never had an issue shipping with these people sending or receiving. I took for granted there wouldn't be damage. I noticed issue later when I unwrapped it.

Shipper has cooperated with the process, I just need to get the estimate. I'm not willing to be dishonest, but within the realm of legitimate estimating, I would prefer something that was more advantageous for me, especially given the extra hassle of having dealing with the resolution.

#7 10 years ago

new cab is going to be $900
    new art is going to be $350
    labor and additional materials $500-1k

#8 10 years ago

Taylor is spot on IMHO

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

new cab is going to be $900
    new art is going to be $350
    labor and additional materials $500-1k

Are you basing that on purchasing an unassembled cabinet? Is that why the labor is that high, to assemble it and install the decals? A new cab wouldn't need much prep compared to trying to save the damaged one.

Any suggestions on who I go to about getting a quote usable for the insurance process?

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

Doug Huse at Let's Play Pinball makes nice cabs. http://www.letsplaypinball.com/cabinets.html

Just curious, what does it cost to get a completed cab shipped?

Also, how is Doug's decal application?

I am debating saving up cash for a new TAF cab.
    Does he have a big lead time?

#11 10 years ago

We need more information.

Is it a game that decals are available for? Or a game with stenciled graphics and easier to repair?

Shipping an empty cab is another $250 each way, unless you have someone local.

#12 10 years ago

What game?

#13 10 years ago

Bride of Pinbot with a diamond plate playfield. Cabinet already had a few minor touch-ups, but no major damage.

20131203_130106.jpg20131203_130106.jpg

#14 10 years ago

I had a pin shipped to me once with the legs on.
    As they were taking it off the truck I could see the front legs were bowed in.
    I know it wasn't that way from the sender because I could see his pics clearly. The shipper insisted on him sending it legs on.
    Well did a lot of internal damage. This pin had to have taken a good hit in their warehouse.
    It had broken solder joints, certain toys would no longer shot straight and 1/2 the time the ball wouldn't come out to start the game. The seller signed a declaration stating the machine was not sold with these issues.
    The shipper gave me very lackadaisical responses to the damage. Although they paid for new legs and some time with a tech to look at the game, it just never played right again.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

Are you basing that on purchasing an unassembled cabinet? Is that why the labor is that high, to assemble it and install the decals? A new cab wouldn't need much prep compared to trying to save the damaged one.
    Any suggestions on who I go to about getting a quote usable for the insurance process?

Think of it as getting a car getting a door damaged. You need to fix the damage and then repaint the car. Problem is the only way for the paint to match is to paint the entire car and thusly the need to prep it all for paint. You could possibly find a local artist that could match the color and do a touch up but your would be inciting a loss on the value IMO. Bride of Pinbot decals are available, I think, but if the decal doesn't match the existing cab color you have an issue there as well. Just getting the lower done would save you money but you once again risk the colors not matching.

This is certainly the angle I would take with the insurance company if I were you.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Think of it as getting a car getting a door damaged. You need to fix the damage and then repaint the car. Problem is the only way for the paint to match is to paint the entire car and thusly the need to prep it all for paint. You could possibly find a local artist that could match the color and do a touch up but your would be inciting a loss on the value IMO. Bride of Pinbot decals are available, I think, but if the decal doesn't match the existing cab color you have an issue there as well. Just getting the lower done would save you money but you once again risk the colors not matching.

This is certainly the angle I would take with the insurance company if I were you.

I totally agree with what you're saying, and I'm not entertaining a partial fix. I was just curious the basis for your numbers ($1750-2250). I've not re-decaled before, but the prep needed to decal a new cabinet would be a lot less than if you tried to prep the current damaged cabinet (fill and level the damaged area). Not sure how the differential in labor would compare to a new cabinet, and frankly which direction would be more justifiable to the insurance company.

#17 10 years ago

New cabinet will still need prep and everything swapped over. Old cabinet will need prep but could leave everything in so cost could be a wash cost wise. I'd try for new cab personally.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

which direction would be more justifiable to the insurance company.

I would think if you showed them that picture and asked for $2000 they would laugh and tell you to take a hike.

Also from a cabinet perspective I'd rather have an original screened cab with a fill and touchup (or even a little chunk missing) than a decaled replacement cab. Dunno about everyone else.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from GListOverflow:

Also from a cabinet perspective I'd rather have a screened cab with a fill and touchup (or even a little chunk missing) than a decaled replacement cab. Dunno about everyone else.

Yes, a real screened cab is much more valuable than a decaled reproduction to a hardcore collector.

Screened cabs are more durable too.

#20 10 years ago

I would think if you showed them that picture and asked for $2000 they would laugh and tell you to take a hike.
    Also from a cabinet perspective I'd rather have an original screened cab with a fill and touchup (or even a little chunk missing) than a decaled replacement cab. Dunno about everyone else.

I seriously doubt they'd pay for a new cabinet. It's not like there was a hole THROUGH the cabinet.

I agree that *any* damage sucks, but this *is* repairable. The cheap route would be to repair the damaged wood properly, then have the area air-brushed to match. Luckily it's a solid color so any good airbrush artist should be able to feather it in quite nicely.

The route *I'd* pursue with the insurance company is to have that cabinet repaired and redecaled. You have to buy the entire decal set so that's about $350 plus with shipping. You'd probably need new side rails too since they are usually damaged during removal. Then the cost for someone to strip, repair and redecal the cabinet. At least $500+ there. Minimum $1K+ when you add it all up. And if no one is local, you'd need to ship the cabinet both ways adding even more to the cost.

Even if you buy a new cabinet, you still have to pay someone to swap the internal wiring, etc.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Just curious, what does it cost to get a completed cab shipped?
    Also, how is Doug's decal application?
    I am debating saving up cash for a new TAF cab.
    Does he have a big lead time?

I purchased a new cabinet and head from doug huse last summer. fedex driver f***ing rolled over the box completely ignoring the "this end up and do not stack" labels (right in front of my house. I could hear the resounding "thud!" right before he opened the door). I noted everything had sent doug the photos to have him file a claim.

btw, doug's work is top notch. really nice attention to detail on the fit and finish for the cabinet as well as the decal application.

I would check with him on lead time. it took me about 3 months from order to receipt of the cabinet.

ps
    a new cabinet with decals and shipping from doug will set you back just under $2000 (I paid $350 for my decals). I'm not sure what it would cost you to have it stenciled (or if someone even makes a stencil set for BoP)

#22 10 years ago

I cannot believe how far off the deep end most people seem to be on the real amount of damage. If this were my issue I would be happy with $100 in my pocket and live with the chip or spend a couple of hours patching and painting. There is no where near 2K in damage/reduced value here. If this machine is worth 2K less now I am a buyer. Ever wonder why insurance rates are so high. I know I will get some flack on this but sometimes people need a little help with reality. You get a door ding in your car don't expect a new body and then install your mechanical components into it, expect a repair/paint touch-up.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from sixpakmopar:

I cannot believe how far off the deep end most people seem to be on the real amount of damage. If this were my issue I would be happy with $100 in my pocket and live with the chip or spend a couple of hours patching and painting. There is no where near 2K in damage/reduced value here. If this machine is worth 2K less now I am a buyer. Ever wonder why insurance rates are so high. I know I will get some flack on this but sometimes people need a little help with reality. You get a door ding in your car don't expect a new body and then install your mechanical components into it, expect a repair/paint touch-up.

I agree that the $2K claims seem steep, especially regarding what they would likely pay. That said, I bought this game as a more collectible version because it has an originally diamondplated playfield. If this was some beat players game, then I would chalk it up to a quick fix. However, I paid a premium to get the diamondplate and the damage to the cabinet has significantly impacted the collectibility of this game.

Thanks to everyone for the varying opinions. Now, who can I reach out to to get one of these estimates?

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from sixpakmopar:

I cannot believe how far off the deep end most people seem to be on the real amount of damage.

Well, I think there's "how much did this reduce the value" and there's "someone else is paying for it so spare no expense to get it back to perfect"

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

However, I paid a premium to get the diamondplate and the damage to the cabinet has significantly impacted the collectibility of this game.

You might also consider seeing if you can find a nice condition original empty cab to buy. Would probably be (significantly) cheaper than having someone make a new one, and if you are worried about "collectibility" then decals on a game that did not originally have decals is not going to help.

#26 10 years ago

if you are worried about "collectibility" then decals on a game that did not originally have decals is not going to help.

And I'm sure this is part of the justification people are using for the high prices. I can get it cosmetically resurrected, but it will never be original again.

#27 10 years ago

That's a $150 sorry for chipping your game refund. Some wood putty and purple paint and its good. Or take the 150 and put BoP between two games where no one sees it. Sucks that it happened but not a big deal at all

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

That's a $150 sorry for chipping your game refund. Some wood putty and purple paint and its good. Or take the 150 and put BoP between two games where no one sees it. Sucks that it happened but not a big deal at all

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that is the stance the insurance company takes, but I can guaranty if I turn around and try to sell this game, I'll lose a lot more than $150.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that is the stance the insurance company takes, but I can guaranty if I turn around and try to sell this game, I'll lose a lot more than $150.

Yup, you will....though really you shouldn't. A back corner busted is not that bad, especially if you fix it up, but it seems like perfection is the norm nowadays

#30 10 years ago

Bop is a sub $2k game isn't it? They may give you 2k, but they may "total" the pin and take it?

#31 10 years ago

They won't give you 2k likly, Most shippers have a liablity for before signed and after.. After signed is like 10% of original liablity. My best guess is you will end up around $500 at best.. Send me a PM I will do what I can to help on a repair quote..

The Reason labor is so high is figure $79 an hour (Shop Rate) 2 Hours to remove, Rails, Head, Transformer, Ground Strap, Play Field and Slides ect. Then figure 3 hours to put it all back, Plus Decal work of 3-4 Hours. Comes to $711. And I gotta tell you thats conservitive.

Decals are prob $250-$300. Shipping a Cab to you is another $250. Plus the Cab at 900ish.

You are looking at $2111-2400 Range.

#32 10 years ago

I no your pain ,i had my machine also damaged. But i think you could fix this with some good wood putty or bondo. Sand as little around damage area as possible prime and paint. There is a website with the color code mix for BOP. The color looks a lot like Pinball Magic purple.Then charge company for your parts & labor. I would try to get at least $800 for this damage. They would most likely be glad to pay that price.

#33 10 years ago

I feel bad for you knowing that the moving men did a crappy job and damaged your new Bride, but I have to agree with many of the other posters in saying I don't know if the insurance company will do anything. I had a MAME machine beat to tar shipping cross country and of course there answer was "Its particle board its expected to get damaged when moving".

With that being said though, a few years ago I found someone selling BoP paint online that was supposedly professionally matched but with cabinet fade it was off slightly from my machine anyways. I could donate what I have left if you wanted to go that route, but in my opinion I would consider this your "winter project" bondo/fill it in and try to get the insurance company to pay for the Next Gen decals that are available.

#34 10 years ago

20+ year old piece of commercial equipment. No way the shipper is gonna pay for a new cabinet or a restoration job. Putty it / fill it up, have it airbrushed and move on.

#35 10 years ago

Usually the "insurance" will never pay up.

They say they are "still investigating" every time you call.

Finally they will offer you 20% of whatever you submitted as the repair cost.

I hope they pay your claim, but I just don't want anyone to get their hopes up.

#36 10 years ago

What shipping company did you use? NAVL,STI always gave me $1500 damage insurance coverage. They payed for my damage right away.

#37 10 years ago

Looks to me like hilo fork damage, trying to pick it up underneath..they may have at one time, laid it down on it's side... at sometime...then stood back up when delivered.

Would you mind telling what truck line you are dealing with?

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

What shipping company did you use? NAVL,STI always gave me $1500 damage insurance coverage. They payed for my damage right away.

But...did you note damage when delivered..or after, which is concealed. He is claiming after the delivery..which falls under "concealed" More difficult animal to work with.

#39 10 years ago

Yes, you should have unwrapped it while shippers were with you. In my case i caught the damage with the delivery workers still in my house, i then documented on bill of lading invoice.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machine-damaged-in-shippingplease-help-with-repair-quotes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.