• Latest reply 6 years ago by jwinn1812
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00872 (resized).JPG
1998imacdemocd_015 (resized).jpg
download (2) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I've found that Apple's computers last longer than the Dells and HP's I've owned

Note that there are different categories of machines. The consumer-grade hardware is a little junkier/cheaper than the business-class or professional-class hardware. I've had business class hardware last 10 years or more before retiring it.

One thing Apple does better is entry-level video editing. The entry-level stuff on the windows platform isn't that great and sometimes has stability issues (although adobe premiere elements isn't too bad). High-end video editing between the platforms is about equal--each platform has basically two major go-to options. Windows is a lot more versatile when it comes to the available conversion tools for importing and exporting for a variety video formats. But, if you're basically importing from one source and uploading MP4's online or authoring a basic video DVD, either platform would work.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

the hardware will not last nearly as long.

The problem with the PC ecosystem is that a lot of people buy the cheapest junk available (such as a $250 toshiba or acer laptop) then complain that it doesn't last long. There are plenty of good quality, long-lasting options if you spend a bit more.

LibreOffice is the go-to option these days for an installed software suite. It was a fork of OpenOffice after development stalled a few years back.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

no need for virus protection

That's not quite true. While OS X isn't targeted nearly as often as Windows, it is still wise to install antivirus software. There are viruses and trojans floating around that specifically target Macs.

Quoted from swinks:

free OS updates

That's not unique to Apple. Windows and Linux platforms have that too.

Quoted from swinks:

- awesome for photo management
- great for video editing and managment

Entry level, yes. Professional/high-end, it's about even.

Quoted from swinks:

App store is great for computer software (games to little handy programs)

It's a closed garden. There are a lot more software options (and games) available for the windows platform, which isn't restricted to one company's approval.

Quoted from swinks:

for me runs 3D solidworks better than my windows laptop

Is the hardware identical between your computers? I'm guessing you laptop has less powerful hardware in it.

Quoted from o-din:

If you want it to last for 15 years and never spend another dime on it, Mac.

What about all the software you have to pay for in the app store? The windows platform has a lot more free software floating around.

What about adapters, chargers, and other accessories? Apple branded stuff is ridiculously expensive--you're paying for the brand recognition. Adapters and chargers and whatnot for the PC ecosystem are very inexpensive.

Also, the product support lifecycle is a lot shorter on Macs (unpublished EOL cycles, but seems to be about 3-4 years before support/updates are dropped) than Windows (published EOL cycles, about 10+ years before support/updates are dropped).

Quoted from swinks:

also programs like illustrator are great on Macs.

It works fine on windows too.

Quoted from swinks:

Macs are designed for the artistic types (video, music, art etc) as well as the general public

That's a misconception. That's just Apple's marketing department talking--and they do have a very effective marketing department.

Quoted from snyper2099:

Maybe on Windows but on mac OSX, I disagree. If you are not going to use Google Apps or the iWork solution, OpenOffice is much more stable and easier to deploy and manage long term.

I can't comment on how well libreoffice works on OSX, but it does work well on windows. I just know an installer is available for OSX.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mac-vs-windows-laptop?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.