• Latest reply 6 years ago by jwinn1812
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00872 (resized).JPG
1998imacdemocd_015 (resized).jpg
download (2) (resized).jpg
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

If you want to game don't go for the mac but for most every other reason go for the mac if you have the cash.

#52 6 years ago

Still works like a charm!

1998imacdemocd_015 (resized).jpg1998imacdemocd_015 (resized).jpg

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I would like to upgrade my 2006 Mac Pro with the Trashcan, but Apple went to that Thunderbolt connector for the monitor(s) and lost the DVI connectors. I don't think my Apple monitors with the ADC-to-DVI adaptors will work and I'm not sure any monitor with DVI connection would work. I thank would need to buy new monitors for the Trashcan, but not absolutely sure.

I don't know about the DVI connectors. I am running one monitor via HDMI and the other via Thunderbolt to HDMI. I have it hooked up to ASUS 4K monitors and it rocks.

You may or may not want to get the trashcan. They are working on a new one that is supposed to be more modular in nature.

Mine is actually a refurb that I got from Apple. Got it for around 2K, which was about $800 buck savings when I got it a few years ago. Got the memory from Amazon and voila, you have a helluva a machine. Check out Apple's refurb site at https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac. Sometimes the deals are better and sometimes they are worse, but in my case I got a tremendous deal.

#54 6 years ago

Screaming out for a poll this here thread is!

If you already have many Apple products then go with a Mac as it will interoperate seamlessly with your other products (streaming to Apple TV from your Mac for example).

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I don't know about the DVI connectors. I am running one monitor via HDMI and the other via Thunderbolt to HDMI. I have it hooked up to ASUS 4K monitors and it rocks.
You may or may not want to get the trashcan.

Thank you for the information. Actually, I am starting to look at maybe getting a 2012 Mac Pro from Ebay. I know that will work. I have been working with three monitors since I built this rig in 2002. And with a 2012 Mac Pro I could probably keep working and surfing and not lose my 3 monitor set-up. Actually, you can now buy curved monitors but they are smaller than what I have. I would lose the separations between the monitors that I now have but I don't want to lose the size.

But with your information I m going to start looking at HDMI to Thunderbolt adaptors. Thanks again.

DSC00872 (resized).JPGDSC00872 (resized).JPG

#57 6 years ago

I had a MacBook pro and liked it, but it does get frustrating if you aren't used to it. Hard to find things and there really isn't any type of file explorer. Bought a surface pro 4 early this year and love it. Can be a laptop or a tablet, but either way both run full windows 10. When I go back to my macbook (still use for video editing) I find myself missing the touchscreen. So, surface pro 4 for the win.

#58 6 years ago

If you're going to go with a Mac I don't recommend going with a 5+ yr old model.

I have found that Apple world shines when you buy latest stuff and not so much for old hardware. One reason is greater difficulty doing hardware maintenance youself in Apple world so always good to be under (extended) warranty eventhough there are usually less hardware issues that crop up. Another reason is that there is always a strong Apple push to latest operating system and this will render your old hardware sluggish at best. And if you don't upgrade to latest OS your interoperability with your other (newer) Apple products will be limited.

Apple vs Windows is bordering on religeon so 99% of responses will be totally one-sided. Each ecosystem shines in its own ways but if you are trying to save $, then Windows is the way to go.

And yes there is a file explorer very similar to Windows but I will admit I like the Windows one just a bit better

#59 6 years ago

Get a Mac,

Love mine, not only do I have a Mac book Pro 2017. I also run Parallels on it that lets me run windows 7, 8, 10 and google on the fly. It gives you the best of both worlds.

Also I don't have fingerprints all over the screen from poking it with my finger

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mac-vs-windows-laptop/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.